close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Will the current Caracal's become a collector's item?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by plouffedaddy, May 12, 2012.

1. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    I just picked up a Caracal and have heard lots of talk about upcoming changes to the gun (sight system, backstraps, ect...) and I was thinking---I wonder if this thing will one day be a collector's item like a Gen1 17...?

Don't get me wrong, it's a gun and I'm going to shoot the piss out of it, but I'm just posing that as a discussion point.

2. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    It depends on its future success. I'm sure it will be a classic if it explodes in popularity like the Glock did. I doubt it will though.

3. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It looks like Centerfire Systems has a pretty decent deal on them ($399.99 each) and mags for $19.99 BUT will the support be there after they make any changes to the design? :dunno:

It does look interesting and I would like to hold one to see how it fits, but I really can't see them becoming a collector's item anytime soon (especially if it has been shot. Even GEN1 G17s drop in value once they get any signs of use on them).

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Its possible. Interesting guns, but I refuse to send my money to that part of the world.

5. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Yeah, more and more I think I just want to buy American guns. That way the money that is spent is used right here in America by a company who probably puts a significant amount of effort into maintaining our gun rights. I really love my Glock 19, but I think it may be my last foreign gun. I dont even know if i would buy a Springfield XD since they are buit in Croatia. We'll see.

But yeah, especially where the Caracal is from.

6. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    If I've learned one thing over the past 25 years in the gun business, just because something is rare (or even one of a kind) doesn't mean it will ever be collectable or valuable. Unless the Caracal gains some cult following here, they will fade away like so many other foreign pistols.

7. Raven1967

Raven1967

Apr 26, 2012
    NE Oklahoma
    Dont know if they will be collectors items,I own 3 and like them alot doubt I ever sell them.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I highly doubt it.

Collector's items generally command a premium.

Also, who said 1st gen G17s were collector's items? :dunno:

9. Comedian

Comedian

Aug 3, 2010
    Where did you hear about changes to the Caracal? Are night sights coming?

10. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    I say they're collectors items if you look at what people on gunbroker are paying for them! :supergrin:

As for the night sights--Caracal said they were going to start offering them at SHOT this year. They also said F/O sights were coming out and I've already seen those so hopefully the night sights are next...

11. Rustin

Rustin

Oct 12, 2011
    Central Ohio
    :needspics:

And an in depth review of the Caracal pistol.

Seriously, I've only heard it being mentioned once on this site.

12. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpprZgirKs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpprZgirKs[/ame]

Sturm did the one above; mine's in the T&E stage but I'll do up a video/review once I have a few hundred rounds through it.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  13. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  14. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Smallville
    I doubt if the current trend of plastic/stamped metal autos will ever spawn any "colectors pieces". Even the original plastic frame auto(HK VP70)hasnt become all that desirable.

15. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    My mistake. I haven't priced tham lately. Maybe they have been selling higher than before.

16. MoCop

MoCop

Jan 2, 2005
    Missouri
    My local gun shop has a 1st generation G17 for sale for around $459.00 very tempting. Looks all original, even the mag. Anyway back to the original post, who knows if they'll become a collector's item. They seem to be nicely made pistols, though. I handled one the other day and the trigger is very nice.

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, I didn't think they were bringing too much.

$100 or even $200 more doesn't really make them collector's items.

18. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    ^ This ^

The fact that they're signing someone of JJ's caliber, means they are looking to make a play in the civilian market. It will be interesting to see. JJ is a local. I'm hoping to get to handle his Caracal soon. (Hmm, maybe I need to word that differently :whistling:)

19. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    I'm sure he'd let you shoot it. JJ seems like a pretty down to earth kind of guy.

20. Rustin

Rustin

Oct 12, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Looks like a damn fine pistol. How does it shoot? Recoil compared to say, a Glock?