close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Will the cleaning rod fit with ground bayo lug?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Aedrick, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Aedrick

Aedrick
    Expand Collapse
    Mad Scientist

Hi, all. I just bought a used Bulgarian SSR-85-C2. But it didn't have a cleaning rod, and I always liked the look of an AK with the cleaning rod under the barrel. I noticed that the bayonet lug under the front sight post has been ground off. So, I was wondering, if I bought an AK cleaning rod, will it fit in the rifle still? Or, do I need the bayonet lug to attach the cleaning rod under the barrel? Thanks!

2. Jack Greenwell

Jack Greenwell
    Expand Collapse

It will "fit" but the bayo lug holds the rod from slipping out. So the rod will just slip out on the ground if you bring the muzzle down.

3. CarlosC

CarlosC
    Expand Collapse
    AK Fanatic

Are you talking about the "ears"? The ears are not necessary to hold a cleaning rod. The ears are there only for the AK-47 bayonet to lock onto. There should be a recess milled into the bottom of the FSB that the cleaning rod head snaps into.

When I bought my SSR, the ears had been ground off, but it didn't affect the retention of the cleaning rod.
    [​IMG]
    I have since replaced the FSB with one that has ears so I can mount a bayonet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also replaced the plastic with wood
    [​IMG]

#3 CarlosC, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  4. Aedrick

Aedrick
    Expand Collapse
    Mad Scientist

Ah, I see! Thanks so much for all the info, guys! The 'ears' are what's been ground off, so the recess under the front sight post is still there. I'll go get a cleaning rod and try it out!