close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Will Profiteers Be Left Holding The Bag?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 390ish, Feb 5, 2013.

1. 390ish

390ish

Dec 6, 2004
    virginia
    I am just wondering if all the slick folks who bought up rifles and mags with the hopes of reselling at a profit are going to to lose their shirts if a ban does not go through. I would think that there will be a serious over supply issue if a ban does not take effect.

2. JBnTX

JBnTX

Aug 28, 2008
    We can only hope the price gougers get what they deserve.

:steamed:

3. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Only if they paid inflated prices. Years ago when there was a primer shortage my brother in law was buying them for $30 a 1000 and they were $20 a 1000 at the store when available. He got stuck with them but this stortage today will last about 9 months to a year or more depending on OBozoz's attack plan.

I'm sitting on new mags I paid $9 each. I'm not selling them and don't need too.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. doodi1

doodi1

Dec 18, 2008
    Reston Virginia
    It will take about 9 months to a year for the supply to catch up to demand. There will be some gouging going on until this happens. I will bet that there will be a lot of people caught out holding the bag. I've been buying what I've needed and don't mind paying a small premium for it. Just don't pay the outrageous prices they demand and let them burn. I will stop doing business with Cheaper Than Dirt for good. Their brazen tactics and gouging have been waaay over the top. They deserve to go out of business.

5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    As with any bubble, yes.

6. 390ish

390ish

Dec 6, 2004
    virginia
    I just wonder what percentage of folks with back orders are going to be able to cancel orders without any penalty. If the mag ban does not go through I be that back order on 1 million Pmags will be reduced by at least 80% and probably the same with rifles. People like to join in on panics so they have something to talk about and identify with. If there is no panic I see interest evaporating. I really thought that everyone who wanted an AR-15 already owned one in August of 2012. I bet receivers will be going for $50.00 by October if there is no ban.

7. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    Just wait with your money in hand and be ready to pick up some good deals from a flooded market.

8. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Wouldnt this be morally wrong?

I mean I see "gouging" all over above. This is obviously saying someone on the supply side is using their power to control prices and that is somehow wrong. So, when demand drops then people hope to use the low demand side to control prices and lower them. If controlling prices by supply is wrong, how can controlling prices by the demand side not be wrong?

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    No. You are overestimating how many people are buying guns simply to resell them.

More of a consideration is how many people are buying guns just to have them.

On one hand people talk about their guns being virtually indestructible, and in another breath they want 4 copies of the same gun just in case. I could live with 2 AR15s in 223/5.56, and two 7.62 guns, and a couple in 300, 308 and .338 Lapau.

Add a couple in 270WIN, and a 460 Weatherby, plus a couple of nice shotguns, and I only need (2+3+2+4-1...add one, carry that over, then 5+2...) It seems I am a little bit behind!

To distill, lots of folks are buying in case a ban takes effect, not so much to resell, but to have. I think less than 15% of all buyers are doing so to flip their guns.

Also, if the bastards pass legislation like NY (no grandfathering - which they acknowledge was a "problem" during the last ban), you may end up like NYers, sitting on $2000 "pre ban" guns that are now only worth 1/2 that.

- G

10. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Is there even such as thing as an over-supply problem with firearms? :)

I bet receivers will still be scarce come October regardless if a ban does or doesn't pass. Many manufacturers were working with 6-12 month backorders in November, and they've only tacked on another 6-12 months since then...

11. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    I guess you don't watch Pawn Stars or Pickers!

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    WRONG!

It's different. :tongueout:

It's "bad" when "I" have to pay more for something

It's "good" when I can pay less for something

It's "bad" when "you" can sell something for more

It's "good" if you have to sell something for less

I,I,I,I,ME,ME,ME = good.

You, them, they = bad.

:upeyes::wavey:

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I forgot. This is how GT "conservatives" view "free markets."

14. Jeffrey Lebowski

Jeffrey Lebowski Not a golfer

Jan 27, 2013
    Colorado
    I agree completely.
    Nothing makes a person want something like [the possibility of] not being able to have it. Even if they may not have previously wanted it.

I also think there are a fair number of folks who are very concerned for the direction this country is taking and looking for a bit of security.

I'll be curious if those just "go away" deep into safes with the hope of an eventual sunset or geographic move, or if folks truly try to unload them for pennies on the dollar. I'd bet on the former, though.

15. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    I am still going to go with my version of "The List" and try to acquire it as funding/pricing allows. I'll also be on the hunt for some "bargain basement" deals from those who are trying to unload their bad investments.:supergrin:

16. Bruce H

Bruce H

Dec 5, 2000
    missouri
    Procrastination allways has a way of biting ones wallet. If a firearm looks like something I would use I check them out when first introduced. If they are what I need I will buy one of the price is within reason for my needs.

I don't buy many but what I have are nice land do the job I want.

17. No such thing.

18. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Mar 30, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Wow. I agree with you.

I've got a few mags and a Crimson Trace I need to get on Gun Broker before things cool too much.

19. One distributor has a $100 cancellation fee in all orders.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

20. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    It's not morally wrong to find good deals or wait for the market to correct. I'm not talking about controlling the market, just buying AT the right time. For me it would be buying at the level I have been buying before all this started, like picking up guns on sale, that's just smart buying.

However I do see the point you are making.