Glock Talk banner

Will I go to jail.......

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  J Lee 
#1 ·
....if I put a 10" upper on an existing rifle lower and add the forearm brace?

I'm thinking I have to have a dedicated and marked pistol lower to accomplish that plan.

#3 ·
You do have to have a marked pistol lower in order to do it. If it was sold as a rifle, then it becomes an SBR. At least that is what I remember.
Thanks. That's what I thought too. I really hate jail. :whistling:

#6 ·
Yep, can't put a pistol upper on a rifle lower without incurring all kinds of federal wrath. Doesn't have to be marked pistol although some companies make good money marking lowers with "PISTOL" and selling them, even if it is just the same rifle lower they sell otherwise. Just make sure you transfer the lower as a pistol so it is properly documented as such.

#8 ·
The lower is about the cheapest part of what you want to build. I just bought one with a lower parts kit for 100.00. Buy a new one and sell your old. Once you build it into a pistol you can switch back and forth from pistol to rifle back to pistol. Just can't do it rifle 1st to pistol

#15 ·
Good point. I've bought lowers for as low as $50, so why put a $400 pistol upper on an illegal lower, instead of spending that extra $50?

You could even reuse all of the internal parts from the rifle, except for the serial-numbered lower receiver.

#14 ·
If you put the 10" upper and brace on an existing rifle lower...yes, federal prison is a possibility. Once it is a rifle, you can't go back, or it's an SBR.

Your lower has to be dedicated to being a pistol, but it does not have to be marked as a pistol - mostly they don't say whether they are for a pistol or rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.