Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Wife unloaded my gun

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I keep my handgun loaded and holstered in the safe. Suspected a burglar tonight, and grabbed my handgun and a flashlight and strapped on the holster on my way around outside to the side door and shined the light. Almost immediately a big guy came busting out of there and I pulled the trigger, click! The second one came out and click again!

My wife had unloaded my gun to take it to teach a safety class. Moral of this story is, yes, always assume all guns are loaded. But if you need to carry one, double check that it actually is loaded :)

That first guy out the side chicken door was on the heavy side, maybe two pounds. He had been stealing a lot of grain. The second rat was almost as big. Oh well, maybe I can get them tomorrow night. I'll never make that mistake again and will double check that I'm loaded with .22 birdshot. Yeah, I was also carrying my Glock 26, but I wasn't about to let loose Gold Dots through the walls :)
  2. TSAX

Jun 5, 2010

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010

Thanks for the good share....
  4. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  5. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I was always taught the 1st rule is never assume its loaded OR unloaded. Always check!...

Guess you should treat it as if its loaded while you do the checking, though...

6. Teej

Oct 16, 2008
    Get your wife her own safety class gun.........
  7. clarson_75

Mar 25, 2010
    slap her twice. J/K. then tell her to never touch your HD gun again.
  8. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. snubfan

snubfan Giant Member

Apr 23, 2008
    A wife check...right into a wall....I'm just sayin'...:whistling:
  10. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

Jul 27, 2011
    South Kakalaki
    empty the shampoo and conditioner out of the bottles then put them back. Teach her about unloading your gun!
  11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Could be worse - I've worked a shift as a police officer with an unloaded gun, back in the revolver days. I know plenty of guys who have gone to work with an empty holster, including me.
  12. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    i dont know how the minute you picked up the pistol you didnt realize it was without a full magazine....i could understand treating it like it was loaded, but a pistol without a loaded magazine is too easy to detect....
  13. Two words: Always "Press Check"!
  14. Now that would be scary!

It was just a rat and I can't describe the horrible sinking felling of the "click". There was half hope that I had only loaded 5 chambers or it was a dud, but when the second chamber of the revolver went "click", that was an oh frick moment and I could only watch as they got away!

Shaking my head afterward in utter disappointment. It is my responsibilty to check my own ammo, so I'm ultimately to blame :rofl:
  15. revolver

Yes I should have checked. She had just told me she had seen them, I was thinking too far ahead of the plan. Sort of like a football player running before tucking away the ball.
  16. We have a court security officer who's wife is anti gun. She would not allow any rounds in his gun when it was in the house. One morning she was going to be nice and load his mag for him while he was getting ready. He came in and went to chamber a round and the ammo was loaded backwards. Needless to say he is picked on a lot.
  17. We have a Border Patrol agent who laid out all his duty belt items on the kitchen table in the morning. One day he grabbed his "empty" gun, racked the slide and started to take a dry fire shot at the cat, scratching around in the litter box. The gun went off, litter and cat went flying; all unhurt. The cat never again used the litter box.
  18. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Dump her purse out for her. Might be dangerous things in it.
  19. I'm not sure what the worst part of this story is - not checking the gun before dry firing, missing a cat-sized target at 10ft distance, or having to clean up after the cat for the rest of its life. :faint:
  20. Zeker

Oct 18, 2001
    Northern Va
    Why on earth would you give the combination to the safe to your wife!