close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Wife can't rack slide on new 1991

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 19, 2010.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    The other day, in showing her how to use the new gun, we discovered she cannot, without great exertion, push down the slide release with her thumb on my new 1991. I'd say she's got average-size hands for a woman her age. We've had some wrestlemania sessions, and I can say that her overall muscle strength is probably above average for a female.

I love the 1911 design, but how the US military issued these things to thousands of female soldiers for dozens of years baffles me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    It's technically a slide stop and not a release.
    There's videos on guntalk.tv showing an overhand slingshot.

3. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    The first thing that I will recommend is to have her cock the hammer prior to racking the slide. This way she doesn't have to overcome the weight of the hammer spring. If this doesn't work, you can always install a lighter recoil spring. Reducing the weight of this spring by a couple of pounds can make a huge difference on her being able to rack the slide. You will also find that the spring weight reduction will (in most instances) give you a lighter perceived recoil impulse (which is my eyes is a plus).

Lastly, I will not say that releasing the slide by pushing on the slide stop is wrong but I will say that IMO technically, this is probably not the most efficient method of loading a pistol.

4. chakup

chakup

Jan 30, 2005
    Eugene, OR
    Rack slide and slide release different. Personally- I can hardly use the slide stop as a release, but don't try too much. I personally prefer to slingshot it.

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    Slingshot is one way.

Two hand hold with using the left thumb to pull down the slide lock is another.

6. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Jul 4, 2005
    Yep, Quit using the slide stop as a release and slingshot that thing.

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  8. so which is it? Is she trying to rack the slide from battery, or the slide from an open position with the slide stop holding it? If it's from the open position with an empty mag, then it's going to be harder pushing the slide stop down with the mag spring against the stop and the friction of the slide on the stop.

9. fire65

fire65

Nov 18, 2010
    Well they were all a big help. One thing to try is to hold the slide and push the gun, it might help. I went thru the same thing with my wife. Just give her time and a gun and let her practice. Ignore all the non help people and help your wife.

10. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Let me give you some advice. If you are going to hang out here...

[​IMG]

11. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

:agree:

Overhand is even easier. :)

Why anyone uses the slide lock lever to drop the slide is beyond me.

"Attack the slide"

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  12. If you try to convey a feeling of desperation and urgency she may be able to do it a bit easier.
    Tell her to imagine that some drugged out dirt bag is coming at her and has some really bad thoughts about what he is going to do to her.
    Tell her that she then has to press that release... NOW.
    Tell her to look at it like this instead of the peaceful, calm, no emergency, I think I can, ho hum attitude.
    He's coming... hit that release... NOW!!!!
    Unless she is only looking to drill holes in paper. If that is the case get her a different gun.

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

[​IMG]

14. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
  15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Yup, Dave is fast, as is Todd Jarrett who also uses the slide lock lever in competitiion to release the slide.

16. brzusa.1911

brzusa.1911

Jun 22, 2010
    +2. Slide release is the way for me as well

17. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    gaming is different than defense, but to each their own.

IIRC, there was someone that timed slide lock vs. slingshot. they found the difference in time to be negligible, but in gaming, every little bit counts.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  18. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Whenever this topic comes up in training classes, instructors point out that on a semi-automatic pistol, the slide is always in the same spot, whereas the slide lock lever position and configuration differ between makes and models.

I think Clint Smith's video is a good illustration of running any of those three platforms (1911, Beretta, and Glock) with no conscious effort.

Regardless, to each his own. :)