close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Widow of officer killed by "firendly fire" sues city/officer

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Agent6-3/8, Sep 14, 2011.

1. BSA70

BSA70

Aug 14, 2007
    NC
    Unless there was major negligence, she needs to let it go. This is a very dangerous job with many dangers that can get us. That's what we signed up for....

2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    I would have to see some crime scene recreation before I could pass judgement on who/what is a fault here.
    Is it possible that the city had bad training/ enegligent retention that contributed to this? Yes it is.
    Is it Possible for the deceased to have made a bad judgement as well? Absolutely. Without a comprehensive look at their trianing, stop tactics , policy and individual positioning at the crime scene non of us can make that call.

3. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    You always name the officer. Any liability by the officer should be covered by the employer under qualified immunity.

4. This, IMO this was a very, very sad case of a LODD caused by the fog of war. Officer Jones was the lead car in a pursuit involving a pickup wanted in connection with something earlier in the evening. (hit and run I believe) As the BG attempted to turn around in a wide spot on a 2-lane black top, other units blocked him from the front. Jones blocked the truck from the passenger side rear corner. (about the 4:00 position or so) As officers approached from the front (10:00-ish) the truck the BG threw it into gear and attempted to take off again, striking one cruiser, as I recall. Shots were fired and Jones was struck, as he exited his cruiser.

I didn't know him personally, but from this I know that did, Jones was a squared away officer and Marine. I don't know what else to say besides it sucks to survive a couple tours in the sandbox only to be accidentally killed by one of your own on a dark country road.... :crying:

One thing I'll never forget was him commenting about the pursiut being "boring" about 2 min before he was killed...

Yea, thats what I figured, but it still upsets me a little.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  5. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    A very good quote from the video..."in hind sight, ANYTHING can be prevented".

6. p.d.

p.d.

Aug 4, 2009
    Dry Ridge, Kentucky
    I just feel badly for everyone involved.

7. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    The officer has to be named in the suit for them to include the dept and the city.

8. The only one that will win in this case will be the lawyer.

9. BSA70

BSA70

Aug 14, 2007
    NC
  10. I reiterate . . .

11. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Two words: Qualified Immunity.

The only way an officer can lose his/her QI is:

1) Violate the victim's U.S. Constitutional Rights
    2) Violate the victim's State Constitutional Rights
    3) Commit a crime
    4) Violate the Dept's Rules & Regs
    5) Show Deliberate Indifference towards the victim

Now, ask yourself: Did any of the officer(s) violate any of these tenets?