close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

wich press?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by redwzrd, Oct 18, 2011.

1. redwzrd

redwzrd

Feb 18, 2011
    nh
    want to get a press for my farther for x-mas. have been looking around on ebay and have been reading alittle about getting started in reloading. was sure about starting with a lee single stage press, but i see alot of the lyman tru-line turret press selling for less. looks like the lymans are alot older and dont know if they dont take current dies? is this not a good option or should i try for the single stage. this will be used for rifle rounds and handgun rounds

2. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    I'd get him a brand new Lee Classic Turret.

3. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    :agree:

4. AZson

AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    Tucson
    Yes, get the Lee four holer, I have spent years and thousands of rounds getting joy from it.
    From 9mm to .45 colt and .223. Better deal then the blue press.
    The forth hole is for the Lee Factory die crimp, the one all the dillion owners buy.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Guy named redwzrd starts a thread asking which press? This a joke?

:whistling::supergrin:

6. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    I didn't even notice that. Had I, I'd said blue :D

7. redwzrd

redwzrd

Feb 18, 2011
    nh
    why would this be a joke? i have reloaded my own shotgun shells for years but have never done any brass. it has always seemed like there was to many steps.

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Ehhh... I don't think so... only reason to buy a FCD is if you not capable of setting your dies up correctly to load the bullet profile for the gun your using. :upeyes:

9. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Then I must be doing something wrong, because all my turrets only have 3 dies in them :whistling:

[​IMG]

10. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Just kidding. There's a big rift here between red (Lee, Hornady) presses and blue (Dillon). I myself use green (RCBS).

So, I'm partial to Green for the single stage. Any of them will work, you get what you pay for. I think a lot of people on here shoot a ton of pistol, hence the turret or progressive suggestions. It does get tedious on a single stage if you're doing volume.

11. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    This^

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO

I saw that to. I chose not to respond just in case it's a joke. Plus, the sticky pretty much answers his questions. I would not buy that old Lyman. It doesn't take standard dies and you can't get stuff for it any longer.

13. redwzrd

redwzrd

Feb 18, 2011
    nh
    thanks that is the answer i was looking for. didnt want to buyone then cant get dies for them. this wasnt a joke and didnt know there was a 500/870 battle between presses. im just starting out in this and think know what ive been told that the single stage is what i need to start.

14. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    Chris,
    may I ask where you got those cool colored containers at?
    I need some of those.
    Greg

15. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Thats what I bought.^

If spending around $220 is fine look at the Lee Classic Turret kit from Kempf's. That kit will give him most of what the needs to start reloading.

16. dr_hefley

dr_hefley

Oct 17, 2008
    Just ordered a Lee classic turret kit from kempf gun supply this week.
    We'll see how it goes.

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
  18. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Sure Greg, at Walmart. They were very inexpensive but well built. The larger ones full of bullets weigh 50lbs easy.

19. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    yea, I was, but I wanted a single stage turret just to get use to re-loading and learning.

I still have plans for the 650xl though....hopefully in a few months and yes, the Lyman will do me well for rifle loads.

I can crank out a few hundred rounds in a couple hours on my Lyman.

Right now, I'm just messing with loads and finding the right ones in .40 and 9mm for my G27, and G17 and G34.

Greg