close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why you should not check gas level with lighter, Darwin award winner

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by razageorge, Jun 21, 2012.

1. razageorge

razageorge

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NXQoQD_Jb4&feature=related"]Darwin Award winner - YouTube[/ame]

Warning!- video is not graphic to normal people but GT mods have a way to find these things damning!

2. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Technically, he's can only be an honorable mention if he fails to remove himself from the gene pool...

3. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I was expecting some redneck checking the gas in an 82 Honda Big Red, not a gas truck employee. Surely they teach their people about the fumes and what not.

4. dango

dango

Stupidity of that magnitude ? It's a wander to me he made it to an age to work at all.If he lived , maybe it blew his crotch off , save someone a whole lots pain in the future.

5. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Actually, I think it's the gas station employee... Not that that's any better.

6. TACLOAD

TACLOAD

7. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I don't know. I wouldn't think they'd have someone come out from loading the coffee machine to climbing around on the gas truck. Surely they'd want someone with a bit of training and idea of what they're doing.....

8. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Stupidity like that really burns me up! I hope he got fired!

:burn:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  9. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Yeah... I was thinking the dude might have been trying to help, even though he shouldn't have, and clearly didn't have the skill set... Plus, I have only seen one driver in most fuel transports...

It would just boggle the mind if that's truly an employee of the transport company... :upeyes: That'd have to be a career limiting move...

"So tell me why you left your last job..."
    "Well, there was a lot of repair work to do after the explosion..."
    :faint:

10. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Nevermind

WP

11. Caver 60

Caver 60

In 1967 a security policeman at the base I was stationed at used a match to check the gas level in a portable heater. Lost an eye. Fortunately his heavy winer clothing saved him from serious burns.

12. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Stupidity supplies it's own punishment.

Flash burns like that to the face, it's a safe bet he got burns in his airway which need treatment quickly or "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here, in memory of................"

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The kid in this scene of Next of Kin was the nephew of a police officer I used to work with. After the movie was filmed, he decided to check for gas in the tank of a junk car with a match. He didn't die, but from what I was told he may not have enough fingers left for archery.
    [​IMG]

14. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

There are a lot of people on the Darwin Award site that have died this way. It is somewhat amazing how many people don't seem to realize it might be a bad idea.

15. windplex

windplex

gas company employees used to check for natural gas leaks using a match. no longer the practice.

16. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XchwE9zVdnw"]Beavis and Butthead - FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! - YouTube[/ame]

17. rgb03

rgb03

this is pretty safe to do. unless there is a major leak which you should be able to smell. but for common little leaks in gas piping you will just get a little pilot light effect going on. the gas pressure is pushing out so the flame wont be sucked back in. now if I was to go into a house and smelled gas I wouldnt be using a lighter to check for leaks. we use this method all the time to check for leaks in new piping installs.

flame away.

18. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Well... guess he learned that stupid really does hurt.

19. jph02

jph02

How can you be so cold? You know his boss is going to be really hot about it.:rofl:

Most people don't realize it's the vapors that burn, not the liquid. They also have no clue about flammable limits, especially since many have never seen or heard of cars with carburators and too lean/rich mixtures.

20. Caver 60

Caver 60

In my dads garage in the fifties a man was washing parts in an old washtub with several gallons of gasoline in it. An old man who loafed in the garage was standing about 10 feet from the tub. He packed his pipe, pulled out a match and lit his pipe.

He flipped the match on the floor and a flame started from the match and ran straight to the tub of gasoline. The man washing parts saw the old man was about to flip the match and threw himself backwards in time to avoid the fire.

Flames went to the ceiling. Another man had the presence of mind to grab an old automobile floor matt that just happened to be laying there. He sailed the floor mat straight over the tub and extinguished the fire. No one hurt, but everyone scared to death.