Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Why you should carry with 1 in the chamber

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Dalton Wayne, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
  2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Maybe they should retitle it, "Should you get that close, with no easy escape route, to some dude that seems "wrong" to you?"

3. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    You should always carry with ONE in the chamber... because TWO won't fit.

4. No need of convincing here. The only guy I know who does carry an unloaded pistol explains that "It's so I have extra time to think about what I'm going to do." That pretty much says it all.
  5. jp3975

Nov 13, 2008
    Texarkana, Tx
    I wonder how they would do with a safety that had to be turned off?

Sometimes I tell people who carry guns with safeties that it takes too long to take them off safety. Im usually met with "it just takes practice."
  6. Anon1

Aug 17, 2000
    It takes exactly 0 seconds longer. The safety is disengaged **while** you are performing the draw stroke.
  7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    safeties that can be disengaged with the shooting hand without adjusting ones grip are fine. its the two handed loading of a round etc. that is for the birds.

edited, she performed tactical errors in that video, but i guess that was the point.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. I like it when she draws and her shirt comes up.
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Action beats reaction. Most people carrying a gun know too little about using it in self-defense to realize that is a factor. At the range, you are the actor, but in self-defense, you are reacting. Big difference. At 4 times that distance, you'd do well to draw and fire 1 shot against an unexpected attacker (remember, she is expecting it). With no round chambered, you'd be unlikely to beat somebody across the street.

DO NOT take my word for it. We used to practice this in the hallway of the police department with rulers. Try it at home and see how far away you have to be before a person with a gun can beat you with a knife, where you are the "actor." Then factor in another 10-15 feet for the fact that you aren't expecting it out on the street. I've seen a case where the guy with the knife made it well past the "21 foot" line with 8 real bullets in him (6 10mm and 2 .40 S&W), including 2 to the head.
  10. AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    There is another reason to have one in the chamber.

Sometimes when chambering a round, it doesn't go right. The round may not chamber properly, especially when trying to do it in a panic situation - sweaty hands, less-than-perfect grip on the slide, not pulling the slide all the way back, riding the slide forward etc.
  11. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    It still doesn't matter. A skilled guy with a decent sized knife that close will probably get you no matter what.

Meanwhile just a side note at 0:50...I swear I saw some boobage :rofl:
  12. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Some of you see a hot chick.

Some of you see Sarah Jessica Parker on a better body.

This is what I see

13. faceplant

Feb 8, 2006
    Why do we care how others carry their guns?

The video was made to show the outcome they wanted. I don't think in real life she would get the shot off.

Edited to add: She has a butter face but it is better than the hand puppet.
  14. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    LOL. It sure is hard for some of you guys to stick on point isn't it? It was black, right?
  15. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Washington State
    That was my guess.
  16. goatranch

Mar 26, 2004
    Down south.
    SHE has not heard of the 21 foot rule.
  17. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

May 29, 1999
    With G29
    I carry 6 or 5 in the chamber.
  18. She is on Facebook, Limatunes I believe, and has done a lot of blogs on concealed carry. She even does yoga while packing and even had a blog detailing carrying while pregnant.

Take the training wheels off and carry with one in the pipe. My deciding factor when when I was out walking and was *almost* attacked by a dog. I would have probably had my support arm chewed up and couldn't have ever racked the slide while fighting off Cujo. It feels funny the first few times you do it...then it feels even weirder when you don't.
  19. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
  20. bobelk99

Mar 1, 2005
    Central KY
    If I am going to carry a club, I want one bigger than an unloaded handgun.