close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Would You Take $29k/Yr Instead Of $69k/Yr?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PEC-Memphis, Jul 19, 2012.

1. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/07/ju...ff-on-welfare-than-taking-a-69000-a-year-job/

2. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

That's the way Govt works.....half assed and no business sense!

3. droidfire

droidfire

Answering the thread title, not topic.

I'd take a lower paying, lower stress job over a higher paying, higher stress job any day of the week.

My quality of life has relatively little to do with my finances. I will live within my means, whatever they may be.

Living within my stress level is a much more important consideration.

To the first post:

Never been on welfare, never will be on welfare, and never collected unemployment. I make it on my own or not at all.

Still here, and posting to GT from a resource I maintain on my own. May not be financially rich, but I can sleep easy at night knowing I earned what I have through legitimate effort.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

If I technically made more at the lower paying job, of course.

I'm sure there will be some patriotic chest-thumpers in here saying they wouldn't...but if you have kids to raise and a family to support, you're a liar. The path of least resistance will be taken by 99% of anyone with a brain.

5. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I dealt with this issue several times when I taught income tax preparation. I told my students that many of their clients will manage their work, and thus income, in order to maximize the Earned Income Tax Credit. One of the students piped up and said that she would do it in a heartbeat.

I asked her, Would you rather support your family on $30,000 and get $2,000 of EITC or would you rather support your family on $40,000 and get no EITC?* Without giving her time to answer, I then asked, Would you rather support your family on $40,000 a year or $50,000 a year? To that she said, Some people just don't want to work that hard.

Of course I couldn't keep my mouth closed. I said, Then they shouldn't expect the government to subsidize their lack of a work ethic. She gave me the biggest frowny face I'd ever seen.:miff:

*(As a caveat, a couple with three kids can now get some EITC with earnings up to just over $49,000. That was not the case back when I was teaching.)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Oh God...not the college student frowny face!
    I'm sure you've lost a lot of sleep since then.
    Crushed her dreams of, one day, every American could sit on their collective asses and be spoon-fed and hiney-wiped by the .gov....you cold-hearted dodo head.

7. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

It's not about patriotism or wearing your heart on your sleeve, it's more about pride, personally. I was out of work for a time and used the unemployment compensation I had paid into, but I still felt uncomfortable about taking it. Too proud, I guess...

On what I thought the topic was going to be about, there is definitely a line where pay doesn't compensate for backstabbing, malicious lying, skeevy *******s jockeying for position and commissions at your expense, and the stress that's a direct result of perpetually resisting the urge to put two into the chest of such people that happen to be co-workers.

8. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

9. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I know several people who have struggled financially to support a family and didn't take government tax-payer funded assistance even though they were eligible. It wasn't the path of least resistance, it was the path of personal responsibility.

Most of them are fairly successful independent business owners now.

10. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I've used my unemployment benefits maybe twice in my life, and really didn't think about it too much as I had paid into it anyway, and on top of that it was barely enough to pay the bills so not much to be proud of. I was however, thankful to have it at the time.

Sorry, but anyone with a family to support that lets their money (they are tax payers too) go to others abusing the system while they are eligible...are morons. The system is in place exactly for those people, yet they refuse it and let it go to lazy bums in the ghettos. Yeah, that makes more sense... (Now I see why they are only "fairly" successful business owners).

Anyway...

I worked for years as a single male before I was married with a family, and I'd be happy to get back the metric ****-ton of taxes that were taken from me. Instead, all that went to people abusing the system. And by abusing the system, I mean those not working at all...not those who figured out they could work less, spend time with their families, and still make the same amount of money. Many have figured out that they fall exactly on that line where if they work more, they only get screwed by the system itself. I don't really blame anyone in that situation, as they don't make the rules...they just play the game.

ETA- I've never gotten a penny of help from the government, but if push ever did or does come to shove, I'm going to milk the hell out of it if at all possible. I'm not going to make my family suffer because I'm too proud to take back some money I've paid into my entire life. If some ghetto baby-factory can get a check every month simply for sitting on a couch and giving birth to 8 kids by different men, you're damn straight I will accept one to feed my family if it came down to it. I'm proud, but not so proud I'm stupid.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

If you want a business to turn corn into ethanol you give them tax money as an incentive. If you want to create a need for more government jobs by creating welfare dependents you give them. . .

This is not an accident. There is a reason that 40% of the GDP goes to pay for government.

12. edcrosbys

edcrosbys

Because you decided to join the military instead of doing the same job in the civilian sector? :whistling:

Oh wait, this thread is really about welfare. sorry!

13. Glock!9

Glock!9

I have been through many struggles financially with a young family and did not take assistance. coincidentally I am now a successful small business owner.