close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

why would anyone want to carry a gun all the time

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ugly american, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ugly american

ugly american
    Expand Collapse

I was doing some philosophizing on why someone would want to carry a gun all the time. That's how my wife puts it. "Why would anyone want to carry a gun all the time?" I posed the question "why would someone use their seatbelt every time they drive?" Based on my life experience, a smattering of statistical data, and lots of number crunching, I'm between 2 and 7 times more likely to save my ***** by carrying a gun than I am by wearing a seatbelt. Either way, the odds of catastrophe are so slim, one might say there's no point in doing either, yet I don't question the seatbelt. It's the reasonable and prudent thing to do, by anyone's standards. At the risk of challenging popular opinion, I have to ask, why wouldn't everyone want to carry a gun all the time? Granted, some people simply have an irrational fear of weapons, or couldn't possibly pull the trigger if they had to, no matter what, and that's different, because bad people can sense fear, and take your gun. But it defies logic that most people would frown upon carrying.
    :therapy:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. eb31

eb31
    Expand Collapse
    ANARCHY!

Great post!

3. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

People who are against carrying of guns are not using logic they are using emotions.

4. ugly american

ugly american
    Expand Collapse

It just occurred to me that posting this argument here is sort of pointless. We're all on the same team.
    :dunno:

5. OdinIII

OdinIII
    Expand Collapse

What statistics did you use to come up with the 2 to 7 times figure?

6. kj4963

kj4963
    Expand Collapse

Great post anyway!

7. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Not any different than leaving the house without those things at the end of your arm that can make fists. The gun works better at a distance.

:dunno:

It's a very rare event, but they do happen. Better to have what you don't need, than need what you don't need.

Most of us will never ever use a firearm in a civilian self defense situation. That does not logically lead to the conclusion that most of us should not carry a gun when we have the option.

Same goes for seat belts. You might only need it once. Which once?

8. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

I'm interested in this explanation, too. I would have expected the opposite result...greater risk of auto crash death than gun assault death.

This is an interesting OP because it asks why everyone doesn't carry instead of asking those of who CC why we do it. Many who defend civilians being armed say those who do not carry are "sheeple", liberal wimps, etc.; I think the explanation is more complex than simple name calling will answer.

For openers, it seems most people aren't overly concerned about being exposed to threats every day, all the time, at home, work, shopping, picking up the kids after soccer practice, in traffic, at church and standing in line at the Apple store. Most of the people I have known all of my life don't own a handgun, let alone carry a concealed weapon. They don't worry about assaults because assaults have not been part of their life experiences. Until tragedy strikes close to one's self, family, acquaintances or immediate community, it just doesn't seem like something to be concerned about.

9. BobbyT

BobbyT
    Expand Collapse

The answer is the same for anything else: the chances of the event are pretty low, but the consequences are so incredibly high that it's worth protecting against.

Why would anyone want to have a carbon monoxide detector on ALL the time? What kind of world do you live in where you go to bed terrified of suffocating in your sleep?

Why would anyone want to have a fire extinguisher around the kitchen ALL the time? You must be insecure because I've cooked for decades without burning my kitchen down.

Why would anyone want to wear a seat belt ALL the time? If you need one on the way to your neighbors', you must be one crazy driver!

Why would anyone want an airbag in EVERY car they drive? Paranoid much?

Why would you want your kids' health insurance up to date EVERY month? Statistically, I do more for my kids just by feeding them vitamins every day than worrying about some million dollar cancer they won't get.

#9 BobbyT, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  10. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

I, for one, don't want to carry a firearm.

11. panzer1

panzer1
    Expand Collapse
    NRA MEMBER

Well not really. Some people on here voted for Obama.:shocked:

12. captdreifus

captdreifus
    Expand Collapse
    aSun666

For real?:dunno:

13. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

The OP didn't mention being assaulted by a gun. You could be attacked by a mad dog, a flash mob with bats, or be robbed or attacked at knife point by a thug. There could be a long list of reasons why you might need to protect yourself. If the threat to you or your companions is life threatening the need is there.

14. Lampshade

Lampshade
    Expand Collapse

Whatever you need to tell yourself to rationalize your choices.

15. mj9mm

mj9mm
    Expand Collapse

i like this post so much, i had to print it out so i could forward your ideas on in the future(hope you don't mind), i really like this kind of reasoning, and with careful phrasing it could change some peoples thoughts on carrying, :cool: nice.

16. DaneA

DaneA
    Expand Collapse

My reason for carrying? Because it's the only life insurance plan that is proactive.

17. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That is often all that you need to know.

How does that saying go...You cannot use reason/logic to talk a man out of a position that was reached illogically...or something like that

#17 Warp, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  18. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy
    Expand Collapse

I fully respect and support your decision to remain defenseless.
    Please accord me the same in my decision to be legally armed for my personal defense as well as any innocent person who may need my assistance.

19. JimBianchi

JimBianchi
    Expand Collapse
    Da Da
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

20. Dexters

Dexters
    Expand Collapse

I'd be interested in the how you arrived at that stat. Can you provide some info?