close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Won't SC Politicians Reciprocate

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Glenn129, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Glenn129

Glenn129
    Expand Collapse

In a recent post a South Carolina sheriff suggested we all carry concealed weapons. I agree with the sheriff, but the state of South Carolina will not reciprocate with my state of Georgia concealed carry license, and allow my wife and I to legally carry a concealed weapon in South Carolina. He needs to ask the SC Legislature to amend its concealed carry law so my wife and I can legally carry while visiting SC. I wonder why the State Legislature in South Carolina will not reciprocate with other Southern states on concealed carry licenses? Until it does I will not visit South Carolina.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Ticman

Ticman
    Expand Collapse

It's because of the different training requirements. I think all the states should honor a carry permit. No feds need apply.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

We have the same issue here in Ohio. No reciprocity with GA, AL, or MS.

I'm all for national reciprocity, even if the feds have to make it happen. So is the NRA. When I drive to Florida I have to disarm at the border because of the short drive through Georgia? It's ridiculous.

#3 cowboy1964, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. hawgrider

hawgrider
    Expand Collapse

Not all southern states. NC and SC have reciprocal agreements.

5. mikesull415

mikesull415
    Expand Collapse

Don't know which side started it.....but we don't take yours cause you won't take ours. I had to get a non resident Florida license to be able to carry in Georgia

6. MotorCityBear

MotorCityBear
    Expand Collapse

I used to live in FL and could carry in SC. Now that I live in GA, my GA permit does not allow me to carry in SC. I am told it is because SC and FL require a class to get a permit and GA does not. SC is not comfortable with CCP's without any "formal training."

7. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

SC, Colorado, and MI can be a pain in the ass. They all require a resident permit and do not offer non-resident permits. Michigan as long as you have a permit from your state of residence you're good to CC. SC and Colorado must recognize your home states permit. While SC does tech issue non-resident permits it's only to those who own land but do not reside there.

8. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo
    Expand Collapse

Then find some gun guy that has forty acres and have him sell you a square foot of it, now you're a SC landowner and eligible for a permit.

9. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

Bill H.3292 would do just that if it passes.
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_2011-2012/bills/3292.htm

All you had to do was read the law and you would have known.
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm#23-31-215
    So, if H.3292 passes and your permit is honored by SC...will you then actually take the time to read the law?

10. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Kentucky used to have that, years ago, but now we have "we accept all states" and our permit is a NICS substitute (no instant check when buying a gun). Fortunately, we have some legislators (Democrats) who have lead the way in establishing CCW and making the law more CCW and self-defense friendly every year. In other states they call them far-right Republicans, but here in KY they are Democrats, other than a few from big cities.

11. jellis11

jellis11
    Expand Collapse
    Yippee-ki-yay

I see what you're saying. I don't have a big complaint as my SC permit reciprocates with all the states I have family in... except in ATL where we go a lot :( But all the way up to PA is good.

12. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

It looks like 3292 would be constitutional carry. I'm not 100% sure what you're saying but whenever I go to a state and carry I check that states laws.

13. uscgamecock

uscgamecock
    Expand Collapse

I went online and printed out a form for a non resident PA ccw license, filled it out and enclosed a check for around $40.00 and a copy of my SC license. Two weeks later, I received it in the mail. PA reciprocates with GA and SC. You should be able to find the for with a google search.

14. sandworm40

sandworm40
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Disregard.

#14 sandworm40, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  15. 220-9er

220-9er
    Expand Collapse

Georgia does not require a permit to carry a loaded weapon in your car. So even if your states permit doesn't work here for carry while walking around you are ok in the car.

16. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

TX allows carry in a car without a license.

Seems to me, you would be much more likely to need the thing on the way to or from the car.