close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why the run on ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by malleable, Jan 18, 2013.

1. malleable

malleable
    Expand Collapse

I don't understand why people are panicking and buying up all the standard handgun ammunition, are they ignorant or am I?
    I don't live in a cave and understand that there is a possibility of potential legislation regarding sporting rifles and magazines based on capacity, but why the run on ammo?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Scrappy

Scrappy
    Expand Collapse

I don't know, but range I go to now will only sell one box for the range only! Wtf am I gonna do with one box of ammo?
    Its wiped out every where its ridiculous!

3. ctfireman

ctfireman
    Expand Collapse

Probably scared of the proposed 50% tax.

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

A proposal in CT doesn't account for all the idiots nationwide buying ammo like all the factories were destroyed.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

I know in NY, we have some sort of NICS background check coming our way for ammo purchases sometime in the future, when the new state law kicks in. What a nightmare that might be. They are even going to flag high volume purchases and ban direct internet sales.

So, I'm sure plenty of NY'rs are stocking up now. People from other states might have similar future issues to fight off in their state capitals.

No to mention the President throwing his weight behind the anti-gun scurge.

6. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama
    Expand Collapse

What I see from going around to guns shops is this....the first run was to buy AR and AKs. When those started to run out I noticed the semi-auto handguns and shotguns starting to look bare. The guys I have talked to said folks came in wanting an AR and could not buy one so they got a pistol. Lots of these people probably have never owned a gun or only have a shotgun or .22 rifle and they bought up lots of ammo to go with their new purchase. People noticed the handgun and rifle ammo running low from the new shooters and started scarfing up whatever they could get. That is what I think anyway.

7. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

Lot of guns got sold to probably a pretty fair amount of first time buyers. Gotta feed em. Plus the toilet paper effect. You know, the weather forecast says 2 inches of snow so all the haus fraus raid the grocery for TP, milk and eggs. :rofl:

I agree first wave was likely AR/AK buyers, then handguns when those got scarce. The ammo followed suit. I'm starting to see things come back on the shelf here bit by bit. Price is still up. I figure most panic buyers have blown their discretionary funds or jacked up the credit card so stocks should slowly increase.

I was personally just sniping out what bargains I could find here and there. It doesn't get cheaper so might as well add to the stocks. I figure prices will settle down some but the new normal will still be higher than we'd all like.

#7 HKLovingIT, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  8. hotpig

hotpig
    Expand Collapse
    IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

What ever form of new gun restriction passes will also have ammo restrictions. Most gun owners rarely buy ammo so like the hi caps it will not be contested very much. The big effort will be negotiating for semi auto shotguns and pistols. Probably select rifles like the 10/22 that are used for sports.

#8 hotpig, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  9. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Because it's (this whole mess) a great excuse to the wife to buy anything firearms related :)

I also agree they have $500 to spend, can't buy choice A cause it is out, same with B. C, etc so they get to ammo and pocket sized .380 caliber guns....

10. TxGun

TxGun
    Expand Collapse

If the administration thought they could actually get prohibitive taxes on ammo, I'm sure they'd go for it. I would not be surprised to see some sort of new level of "hazardous material" designation placed on ammo by EO or by one of the government health agencies that adds expense to the manufacture, storage, shipping, and ultimately the retail cost of ammo. Making ammo as near to cost-prohibitive as possible has been a stated objective of the antis.

#10 TxGun, Jan 19, 2013
  11. Caver 60

Caver 60
    Expand Collapse

I remember when OSHA was going to regulate ammo. One of the few times Congress ever had the guts to stop an antigun measure.

12. Kalmah

Kalmah
    Expand Collapse
    Supreme Member

A bill to ban the online sale of ammo has been introduced in the US House of Reps.

"To require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition."
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.142:

That might have something to do with it.

13. hotpig

hotpig
    Expand Collapse
    IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

I guess we all know what I worked my ass off to build for the last 15 years. Gone in the swipe of a pen.

14. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As mentioned above the ability of the American public, to purchase ammunition, is being attacked by some members of the federal legislature.

People are smart enough to realize that without ammo their guns are nothing more than expensive paperweights.

The vast majority of gun owners, in my opinion and in my experience, generally keep a very small amount of ammunition on hand because it is, generally, very easy to buy just about anytime and anywhere. These people are realizing the importance of ammunition and their own insufficient quantities.

A lot of the surge in gun purchases is new gun owners, or gun owners branching out into a new type of firearm and/or a new cartridge. As such they need to buy ammunition since they didn't have ANY of that cartridge prior.

Some of us worry that the B. Hussein. O. administration will attempt back-door gun control and Second Amendment attacks by making ammunition more difficult and expensive to acquire. Just look at what New York is doing.

I think that, for the vast majority of gun owners, if they were to sit back and evaluate their ability to continue shooting, using ONLY what they currently possess, the limiting factor would be ammunition. Most firearms and magazines can be used for a LOT of rounds...more than their owners possess.

So, in short, I think that for most gun owners the item that best extends and protects their ability to shoot is AMMUNITION

#14 Warp, Jan 19, 2013
  15. mj9mm

mj9mm
    Expand Collapse

my wife told me to buy more:thumbsup:

16. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

There is a very palpable fear that the fate of western civilization hangs in the balance of the current gun control efforts and that we are in for a battle of biblical proportions that will water the liberty tree with the blood of tyrants as they turn our plows into plowshares because we are trading all of our liberty for security and will have neither as the door to door confiscation starts Tuesday and we will face an option of living as slaves for the oppressive regime or dying a hero's death fighting for our liberty. (I know I missed a few...)

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

Well said.

18. glockin-45

glockin-45
    Expand Collapse

Ignorant-no, naive, maybe? just like the nay-sayers, who said obozo would'nt do anything in his second term. Whats so hard to believe? that things are going to go back how it used to be? and "all" ammo prices are not going to go up. :upeyes:

19. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

IF, such crap became law, would I be on a "terrorist watch list"???

[​IMG]

:rofl:

20. CDW4ME

CDW4ME
    Expand Collapse

Interference with online ammo sales would present acquisition problems trying to find the desired load or caliber locally... full power 10mm, 45 GAP, 357 Sig.
    Also, chances are you may not be able to obtain the 50 round boxes of Ranger or HST locally even in "popular" calibers.
    No online ammo = more expense & less selection.