Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Why the Rifle?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Matthew Courtney, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Most of the applications for which we might employ our black rifles, we could employ a handgun or shotgun. We have chosen to spend thousands on rifles. Why?

For me it is because I truly believe that the Rifle is the cornerstone of Liberty, the tangible thing that enables us to continue living as we do. I seek to pass on the customs and traditions which graced our people with such a richness of blessings that we endeavor(sometimes in folly) to share the blessings of Liberty with others. Only riflemen can benevolently shape the destiny of a people.
  2. The pistol is just to get me to my rifle.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Range, accuracy, rate of fire.
  4. Still feeling the sting from the election, huh?
  5. Osborne

Jan 3, 2012

And your not....?
  6. Do not forget volume of fire as well as terminal ballistics.
  7. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    My rifle is not a toy, it is a tool. It is used to protect myself and my family. It can be used to provide meat for the table. It is used in training myself and others to better defend themselves and their freedoms. It is used for recreation and competition. If necessary, it is the final means of preserving the liberty of my country against invaders foreign and domestic. Owning an rifle insures that I will never be forced to live under tyranny and that I will always be free to make my own choices.
  8. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Cooper said it be
    besaid it best. 'It allows the user to precise apply kinetic energy at great distance..........a man so armed simply cannot be tyrannized"
  9. And when Obama comes to take it? Or will all the AR-15's be grandfathered in when he renews the ban like he says he wants to?
  10. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I don't know. It's hard to get a 500 yard shot around here. Shotty is good enough.
  11. MAC702

MAC702 Senior Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Clark County, NV
    My favorite salient Cooper line: "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons."
  12. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    I can hit stuff farther away and much harder with a rifle. I like that option.
  13. Panglоss

Panglоss I am the NRA

Oct 11, 2012
    Feinstein's plan for a new assault weapons ban would include "no grandfathering".

I wonder if that means that ATF agents will be going door-to-door to collect non-compliant weapons..?

Boy, I'd hate to have that job.
  14. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid Grape flavored!

Mar 1, 2010
    Nah. Everyone who turns in an evil black rifle will get a $25 iTunes gift card, and a chance to win an Xbox.

The lines for this will make the current gasoline rationing lines look like squat.

Ammo and primers will be taxed to oblivion, or banned outright due to "mercury pollution".

We are in the end times friend.
  15. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    I use a pistol to fight my way to my rifle. The rifle is much more accurate for reaching out and touching someone than a pistol is. My pistol is only a back up to my rifle.
  16. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Yeah, the chances I would ever use my rifle for anything other than fun at the range are so small, it doesn't really bear contemplating.

Still, the time I spend at the range enjoying myself with it means I can use it well enough to defend myself in average SD/HD situations. Nothing that I couldn't do with a pistol most likely, though.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  17. PrecisionRifleman

Jan 24, 2011
    I use a 870 police and a 308 LTR. I figure there are going to be plenty of bullet sponges laying down suppressive fire with their AR15's should Shtf.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  18. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida

Right, because everyone with an AR-15 will resort to spraying lead everywhere.

19. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  20. PrecisionRifleman

Jan 24, 2011
    I used a bolt action 308 (primary), M16 w/ 203, M249 SAW, Barrett m82, M249G, MK19, and 50cal crew served in the Corp. I think I have a damn good understanding of where the value of an AR15/M16 comes into play,but thanks for sharing your opinion which is based on.... what?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire[/quote]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012