Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Why or why not? (become a cop)

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Alderak, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Alderak

Mar 27, 2008
    Hi, I'm sure there is a thread like this buried somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it, and I'm sure peoples opinions change.

I'm considering going to take the physical and written tests to be eligible to become an officer where I live. I'm in my mid to late twenties, and have a bachelor's degree in biology. My wife and I don't plan on having kids, and she is employed in a career field that often demands 50-60 hours of work per week.

What would you say to someone in my shoes? What are the good parts of the job and the bad parts?

2. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Why would you want to be a cop?

3. 1713

Sep 27, 2007
    Good pay, steady hours, admiration of the community, and a quality work environment to name a few.
  4. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Go ahead and test and see what happens. The worst they can do is offer you a job. In today's market, there are fewer jobs and more applicants, so it would behoove you to at least start a process.

In the mean time, schedule some ride alongs.
  5. Are you currently employed? Would a move to LE be an up, down or lateral move??

:agree: Test, then see where it goes....Good luck and you might want to take a look at these previous threads. They might answer some of your questions......:wavey:
  6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    :rofl::rofl: Could pay twice as much and still wouldn't be fair compensation, people that dont know you hate you, and the work environment is full of butt kissing spineless micro-managers.
  7. :wow:...Bro, don't hold back....Tell us how you really feel.....:rofl:
  8. :rofl:

You copied that from NASA's Astronaut recruitment brochure, didn't you?
  9. It's a balancing act. On the one hand, you have an admirable career serving the public, helping people in need, and feeling that your life has purpose. On the other hand, you will encounter so much ignorance and bullcaca that you will often find yourself questioning the purpose of human existence.

For me, I know that I could never, ever, EVER, EEEVVVVEEEEERRRR, hold a regular 9-5 desk job. Just couldn't happen. Regardless of the pay, I just could not do it. Law enforcement is nice because it is so different. You can work different shifts, be your own boss*, set your own work pace, and be as varied in your daily activities as you choose to be.

*= This is generally true, but the degree to which you are "your own boss" will vary depending on what agency and what kind of supervisors you have. Realistically though, you do not have a boss hovering over you telling you what to do and how to do it. You've got a gun and a brain, and you're expected to know how and when to deploy them.

On the downside, the disillusionment will hit reaaaaaaaaal quick. Be prepared to deal with the downright stupidest, most ignorant, utterly incompetent moron mouthbreathers that somehow survived long enough to learn how to press telephone buttons. These "people" will then use those telephones to call you, thus getting you involved in their downright stupidest, most ignorant, utterly incompetent moron mouthbreather problems.
  10. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    I don't know what job you're thinking of, but it's not police work...
  11. silverado_mick

Nov 30, 2006
    Huh? How about **** pay, mandantory OT weekly, being hated by everyone, working in all weather, with ****ty equipment, and being surrounded by people who alternately want to kill you and want you to be their best friend.

To the OP: if you have to ask on the don't want to be a cop.
  12. trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    Go be a Fed, perhaps Fish & Wildlife or Forest Service. I'm guessing you would like that more especially with that bio degree of yours.
  13. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

Jun 21, 2006
    Somewhere in MD
    I don't know you, so please don't take this the wrong way.

It just seems like if someone has to ask that question, or needs a good reason to become a police officer, then one could assume that that person really doesn't have much of a desire to do the job.

Flame away.
  14. Kahr_Glockman

Feb 26, 2005
    Naw this is the firefighters recruiting poster. I mean really when was the last time that the FD showed up and people said, "****, its the fire department."
  15. trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    True, people will trip over themselves to get something to drink for the Firefighters and then curse you for not doing anything to prevent the house fire.
  16. chschwall

Mar 3, 2011
    Riverview, FL
    I wish I was in your shoes! I have always wanted to be an officer. In fact I was on the list for the academy when I unfortunately had a motorcycle accident (without insurance). Because of the accident I dropped out of school and started looking into an alternative career to pay the bills. The wreck caused me to be off my feet for nearly two years. Fortunately I have been very successful in IT. The downside to being successful in IT means I would have to take a major hit becoming an officer, not to mention I would also have to go back to school. With a wife and a baby on the way there is no way we could afford the loss in pay. But as I said before, I have always dreamed of being an officer so I hope to enrole in my counties Reserve program shortly. I'm hoping this will allow the best of both worlds (minus the whole working for free thing).
  17. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    [thread hijack] Another example of why I hate motorcycles, and you'll never catch me on one. [/thread hijack]
  18. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

Aug 6, 2000
    Part time academy and go to the reserve unit. You can then take the life in doses which suits you and still make real money at a real job.
  19. kgain673

Oct 8, 2007
    glen burnie, MD
    Make sure your wife is on board and knows what you (and SHE) are signing up for. If she has a crazy work schedule you may not see her very much at all, can she handle it? Can you? You can get your self seriously hurt or killed, talk to her about that seriously, and let that conversation sink in for a while. Your lifestyle may change, what if you and her run into "clients" of yours while out on the town or at the store, how does she feel about that. Your wife should be the main focus of your final decision if you are given the opportunity. Family first, the best career is difficult when your home life is screwed up, and a crappy job is not that bad when you return to a stable home life at the end of the day. Good luck with the process.
  20. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

Dec 29, 2006

If you have to ask the question, you shouldn't be a cop.