close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why on Earth would Smith & Wesson stop producing the 952? :(

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, May 9, 2012.

1. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I recently discovered that earlier this year, S&W stopped making the 952. That's a crime, in my opinion, because I feel its the best auto in their current lineup and could quite possibly be the best pistol they ever produced.

I'm assuming they weren't selling enough to justify the cost of production, which I'm sure wasn't cheap. Actually, the 945 is done as well, but that makes sense to me, because its so similar to the Performance Center 1911s they build. All that's being built in the Performance Center now are 1911s and revolvers.

The 952 may just be my second favorite 9mm, after the Browning Hi-Power. What a damn shame. I know these pistols cost near $2K, but they were easily worth it.

Here's my blued 952-1, but I want one of the stainless longslide models at some point. I guess Gunbroker is where I need to look now. :sad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. carbuncle

carbuncle
    Expand Collapse
    is not cool.

They were producing the metal-frame semi-auto guns at the factory in Maine, same place they make the 1911s. It's my understanding that they shut down the few remaining 3rd Gen guns (2010 was the last year?) and the boutique models to focus on the 1911s, since they can't keep up with the demand for them.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

3. FL Airedale

FL Airedale
    Expand Collapse
    Dog Breath

Simple explanation: S&W decided that they could make more money by not producing this pistol.

4. 4 glocks

4 glocks
    Expand Collapse

That handgun is gorgeous. I bet it's worth more now.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

A neighbor I had in Montana was a LEO Detective, he carried
    a 952 Smith.

Must be lack of sales........I have not seen one in a Gunshop in years.

6. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

I kinda wish they still made the various 3rd Gen guns. There are 1 or two I wish I could have bought. I'm not a fan of used guns, so I don't wanna buy a used one

7. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

I am always glad to hear someone say that, it means I have less competition for the great used guns, Colt Pythons, "P&R" S&Ws. Smith 39s, Colt series 70 and Pre 70s, Older Highpowers.:rofl:

8. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

It pays to remember that generally Smith and Wesson never really totally stops producing a gun, but rather puts it into suspension for a few years or decades... or maybe a century...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

My guess is that some years or decades down the road someone will retire and then someone else will be cleaning out their desk or work station and find something like a frame for a 952 (or maybe a slide or a barrel.) And then he will ask someone else what it is, they will find a few more 952 parts, and then after some discussion, someone will decide to make up a couple dozen 952s... or Model 18s, or a few Centenials.

For a couple months in the winter and then when mud season and black fly season roll around in Maine there isn't as much to do outdoors...

#9 Bruce M, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  10. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I'd venture to say that 80-90% of the guns I buy are used.

Most of the guns I really like aren't produced anymore and/or I like the older production models more than the new stuff.

11. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Makes sense, but I still think they were producing them last year. I know they were on the website, anyway.

12. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

I hear ya. I buy current production models, though. I just feel better buying new. Seen and read too many horror stories. Plus, many used guns are not discounted enough to make me wanna buy them over new.

13. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

The problem is that the new guns don't interest me much, unless its a custom or semi-custom 1911.

The only new guns I have left on my list to get are a couple 1911s.

#13 bac1023, May 9, 2012
  14. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

Yea. I see the collection you have. I would never have owned as many guns as I have over the past 16+ years had I not sold some to buy others. It would have been fantastic to still own them all. But, I can't afford it.

However, I've owned almost everything there is to own at one point or another... Sometimes more than once :)

The Ed Brown and Springfield Custom guns were the most expensive single guns I've ever owned. But, I've decided not to go down that route again.

15. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Thank you sir. S&W only built blued 952-1's for one year. After that, it was stainless only (952-2).

I do feel the 952, both blued and stainless, is one of the best looking pistols ever built. Its also one of the most accurate.

16. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I hear you, my friend. Everyone likes something different.

17. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

I relate to that. Unless a new 10mm that is remarkable comes on the scene, or someone legitimizes the .41 special I just can't work up more than a vigorish "yawn" over the new guns I see on the magazine covers.

18. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, its the same crap over and over again.

Most are quality guns, but they just don't do anything for me. :dunno:

19. 4 glocks

4 glocks
    Expand Collapse

If they only made them for 1 year and cost almost 2K I would guess they did not sell very many. Who knows what they will sell for years down the road.

20. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

Well, I think I am done with gun buying for now. I get a collective breath intake when I mention that on some forums. I know - sacrilegious for gun owners to say :supergrin:

But after non stop buying and selling from 96 or 97, I am tired of it. There was always a gun I was chasing, and then the planned one after that, and after that (3-4 gun purchases out, all planned). And, to make a purchase, I sold a gun I had lost interest in or didn't like anymore... Along with saving feverishly and doing what I could for extra money...

I'd charge a gun, pay it off in 2-4 months, then get the next one (I didn't have the patience to save for it first - buy by paying it off so fast, I didn't pay hardly any interest).

Doing this, I have owned quite a lot of handguns. Lately (the past couple of years), I decided I liked Beretta 92s the best... I've slowly gotten rid of almost everything else, and have just that.

I actually had no intention of buying my new S&W Shield - but I've had health problems and cannot carry IWB right now - so, there goes carrying my 2.5+ lb Beretta 92. I rented the Shield and liked it enough to get one. But, I sold some flashlights I had just sitting on my shelf to pay for it... And, I sold my Kahr PM9 last Sunday to recover some more funds.

I think I'm gonna slowly keep saving for trips now. I really enjoyed my trip to Philly last Feb - to see the Flyers play and to go to an event to meet the team and get a lot of autographs. I plan to go again next year.

So, after spending so much money on guns that I don't wanna add it up after all these years - I'm taking a hiatus. I can't say I'll never buy another gun again. In 3-4 years, I might... Maybe longer... Maybe something will come along that I just gotta have...

But, while I still occasionally see something that sorta kinda grabs my interest... I know that in 1,2 or 3 years time, I'll likely end up putting it up forsale for something else. May as well not even go down that road :tongueout:

#20 Shipwreck-The-Sequel, May 9, 2012