close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why NRA ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RustyL, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

+1! Would like to become a life member when finances permit, till then it's yearly. I don't agree with all the NRA says and does, but who else is trying to protect my second amendment rights?

2. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

The NRA is one of those necessary pests that tirelessly defends our right to own and bear arms. They can send me all the junk mail they want. The USPS desperately needs the business.

3. TK-421

TK-421

I don't know what it's like by you guys, or by where I live, but when I lived with my grandparents, the mail carriers got paid for each piece of mail they carried. They said they loved the holidays, when everybody got lots of catalogs. So I'd be more than happy to get all the junkmail the NRA will give me, if I was still living with my grandparents. They had nice mail carriers, I liked them, and would be more than happy to help them out by getting tons of junk mail.

4. Danl Boone

Danl Boone

That's weird. I am also a life member and I never hear anything from them. Wonder if they lost my address?

5. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

I just joined the NRA. I know ... (there goes the neighborhood!) Apparently they have a very laxed background check if they're letting liberal left-wingers like me join, but it was a free one year membership offer with a new handgun I just purchased.

I don't agree with some of there politics, but I do recognize their importance in preserving and defending the second amendment. What the hell ... I get a free magazine subscription, if nothing else.

6. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

As long as we both can still bear arms, we won't be able to force the other one into changing their world view.

Something the rest of the left should think about.

7. Hillbilly Dan

Hillbilly Dan

I am a life member and proud to be one. For the money you spend you sure get a value. First and formost is the fact that they watch the law makers in each state and our wonderful Fed Gov. They help us keep our rights. You get a great magazine each month, insurance on your guns and life insurance. Heck of a deal if you ask me. If you tell them to stop sending the junk mail they will. Just call the toll free number and ask. They also support a seperate organization called Friends of NRA which is a fund raising group where all the funds raised go to young folks and help them in their shooting sports. It also helps 4H and Boy Scouts.
    We are lucky to have them fighting for us and helping the shooting sports in general.
    Hillbilly Dan
    Life Member NRA
    Friends of NRA

8. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

Congratulations on joining.
    Curious what specifically you find disagreeable about the NRA politics?

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Excluding the systematic histrionics, distortion of truth and infrequent hyperbole, nothing really.

Wait, that was not political, that's just my perception of their operandus modi

Identity withheld.

10. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

I could be a life member, but I prefer to send more money over time. I kind of like getting those occasional mailings from the NRA. I have never received a phone call.

PS Please do not send me your mail from the NRA. I have my own.

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

If someone like me from NYS can join and pay dues, so can you.

12. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

I did that with a book from The History Channel that was sent unsolicited. I still have the book and never paid them.

I never become a "life member" of anything. I always want to be able to stop sending money to an organization if they #### me off bad enough.

That said I believe my membership has lapsed. I need to get on that.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  13. Timotheous46

Timotheous46

I'm a member for two reasons:
    One, for all the good reasons given so far.
    Two, it really bugs my very liberal brother.

14. Providence

Providence

15. dango

dango

Ditto that....! While we do NOTHING , they are our voice , so
    the answer is quite obvious.........! NRA all the way......!

16. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

Thank you.

They endorse Mitt Romney. As a former volunteer of our fine military, I find it distasteful to endorse a draft-dodger for president; no matter the detriment of voting for the other candidate.

17. dango

dango

I wish I could have dodged the draft. That whole Nam thing was
    nothing more than lies and PROFIT.........! Know your history.!

And so the LIES and PROFIT continue......!

PS: What happens if we do war with Iran........? Open your eyes...!

Russia and China are very clear on this.....! Sheeeeeez....!!

18. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

No matter what you thought of the ulterior motives of going to war (in Viet Nam and most recently, Iraq) it doesn't disparge the fine service of the men and woman who gave their lives for our flag. Know your patriotism!

It's one thing to be against a war and refusing to fight as a conscientious objector. It's another thing to do as Mitt Romney did, and protest IN FAVOR OF THE VIETNAM WAR DRAFT and then apply for a deferment from the draft so he may serve his missionary service in Europe. That's cowardice. Know your patriotism!

With all of his education, wealth and influence, he could have easily served as an officer, even in the Pentagon perhaps (if he were afraid of charlie in the bush). He choose to serve a different allegiance.

Yes. He's ready to wage war for American interest, but will any of his children or grandchildren serve? He didn't. Open your eye's.

So ... to tie this together with the original OP, Mitt Romney is a poor candidate for the NRA to endorse.

19. WarCry

WarCry

This kind of comment is one of the (many) reasons I don't want to be associated with them. "If you don't believe what I do, then you're worthless". Calling someone a scab because they don't want to join the same group as you? Really? Gotta love that warm, cordial feeling of open arms....

And this is one of the other reasons. YOU may be doing nothing. I have my senators' and representatives' phone numbers locally and in Washington, and they know my position and my name. I do the same at the state level, and they know me, too.

It's a sad state to say that my voice doesn't carry the same weight, but I'm not "doing nothing." I don't need to pay someone else to make phone calls for me.

I appreciate the work they do, I really do. But to imply - or flat out say - I'm not as 'good' of a gun owner because I want to speak for myself is, quite frankly, insulting.

20. moeman

moeman

Another sleezy NRA marketing campaign. Beeen doing the same crap for years.

They lost me over this kind of stuff.