close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Nothing But .bmp?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by USMCsilver, Aug 5, 2004.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

Okay, I can click something on the web and check the "properties" and have it state that it is a .jpg or .gif or .whatever but when I go to save it, it will only let me save as .bmp. I mean, on the drop down box, well, it doesn't drop to anything.

Why in the hell is everything only being allowed to be saved as a freakin' bitmap? Anyone got a clue?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. sandboy6184

sandboy6184
    Expand Collapse

(just delete your cache)

John Savill
    InstantDoc #22890
    John Savill's FAQ for Windows

A. This problem in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) will manifest when you attempt to save a picture to disk and your only option is to save the picture as a .bmp file instead of as a native .gif or .jpg file. Because several situations can lead to this problem, I've listed them below along with a suggested solution.

* Your Temporary Internet files cache is full - Delete the temporary Internet files by selecting Tools, Internet Options, General tab, then clicking Delete Files.
    * You selected 'Do not save encrypted pages to disk' under Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab and are loading the page over a secure connection (i.e., HTTP over Secure Sockets Layer--HTTPS) - Uncheck the 'Do not save encrypted pages to disk' option and select View, Refresh to reload the page.
    * You connect to a Web site using an address that contains a username and password (e.g., http://<username:password@site>/default.htm instead of http://<site>/default.htm) – To remedy this problem, perform the following steps:
    1. Open the Temporary Internet Files directory, and locate the image that you attempted to save.
    2. Right-click the image, and click Open.
    3. When the image loads into IE, right-click the image, and click Save Picture As. The file type and name should be correct.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

None of that stuff worked. This is odd...

4. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate
    Expand Collapse

You may get this if you have image (generally large) which appears to be fully downloaded, but is not. ie... a 99% downloaded image. If you reload and it gets completely downloaded, then you can save as a jpg. Otherwise, it is saving the rendered in memory format (ie. BMP).

btw - where in the middle of SC?

I'm formerly from the lowcountry (Chas).

5. jthuang

jthuang
    Expand Collapse
    On The Jazz

Yeah I had that problem too. I switched to Netscape. :)

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver
    Expand Collapse
    Boat Life ©

Didn't really do anything new, but maybe it was a re-boot that took care of it after deleting all the stored trash. It's back to normal again. Thanks guys!