close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why not a pistol grip shotgun for HD?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by jim goose, Mar 1, 2013.

1. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I've shot trap with a 12" pistol grip shotgun. I've taught quite a few others to do it as well.

[​IMG]

But, it's more of a fun thing to do, my home defense shotguns have shoulder stocks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Bullman

Bullman
    Expand Collapse
    Deranged Deputy

Looks like fun, I should stop by sometime so we can shoot some trap.

3. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

I like a pistol grip. On the stock. Stockless shotguns just aren't as useful/versatile as a shotgun with a stock, folding or otherwise.

4. josp

josp
    Expand Collapse

I have the Raptor grip on the Maverick 88, 18" barrel. Works for me and rides better in the truck than a full size stock.
    Haven't decided if I want to put another on the Super Shorty. I'm pretty good with that one too.
    But I also have an 11-87 with regular stock in the bedroom. Depends on what I want to use it for as to which I'll go with.

5. Unk

Unk
    Expand Collapse

No vertical butt stroke option..wait, that was when the U.S. military had full size wood stocked rifles and trained in bayonet use including vertical and horizontal butt strokes.

Olden days..neither good nor bad, just not now.

6. 4516

Expand Collapse
    On the Beach

I have PG's fore and aft. I like it. Also has a light with pressure switch. Set it up that way about 18 yrs ago. Not for everyone but thats why cars come in different colors.

7. John B

John B
    Expand Collapse

I like mine a lot. I use .220 steel buck no buffer hand loads, for a backpacking weapon against cats. The loads spread very quick and I can hit most anything inside 20 yards fast. I don't use it for HD its quicker to tap my safe code and grab a hand gun. But to date I have never actually used any thing for home defense, and hope I never do.

8. Blowout

Blowout
    Expand Collapse

Here's a technique using the pg. Not my cup of tea, but interesting.

cracombat.com

9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

That just turns the grip into a stock.....

Your shoulder won't thank you. Aiming seems to be a bit of an issue too.

10. Blast

Blast
    Expand Collapse
    'nuff said

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:whistling:

#30 Blast, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Affirm. Absolutely. Good points. Folks ought not to dismiss them without some very careful thought .. AND some experience.

When you've seen some folks hold a shotgun at their hip, using the standard stock's "pistol" grip, or an actual pistol grip ... and then MISS an entire magazine tube's worth of buckshot ... standing still and shooting at a stationary target only 3-5 yards distant, it makes this question a lot easier to answer. ;)

Now, throw in the unexpected chaos of a dynamic & rapidly evolving situation, occurring in bad light, with either the victim or the armed attacker (or BOTH) engaged in movement ... and then some folks might be wishing for any advantage in being able to better index or aim the shotgun to optimal effect.

Yes, the PG-quipped shotgun is easier & faster to handle within a tight environment ... but it's not going to be helpful if you're missing the intended target (and hitting something/someone else that ought NOT to be shot).

Equipment is often something best considered within a situational context ... combined with training/practice and experience.

The "tactical" advantages are best optimized and utilized within the mindset and decision-making of the equipment user.

Oh yeah ... butt-strokes. Really? :upeyes:

Inserting that topic in the defensive usage of a shotgun by untrained & inexperienced private persons is just another way to talk about how to most easily lose safe & effective control of the weapon and hand it over to an attacker, as well as how to sweep EVERYTHING & EVERYONE else (other than the attacker) with the muzzle. :wow:

Just my thoughts, though.

#31 fastbolt, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  12. jakebrake

jakebrake
    Expand Collapse
    cracker

that was exactly the set up i had. that fore grip proved unwieldy to me.

replaced it with the standard mossberg foregrip. became a fine shooter.

13. MajorD

MajorD
    Expand Collapse

At hd ranges the shotgun is really a large bore rifle as there is no time/ distance for the shot pattern to spread. Hip shooting is not the answer- getting the gun to eye level to aim makes for difficult shooting with a pistol grip. Just not practical.

14. Buffering

Buffering
    Expand Collapse
    The Cooler

At times I wonder if PGs weren't pimped so much in the movies, would anyone ever be smitten by one. I don't really think so and now we spend lots of time trying to un#uck that perception.

And people who are in love with PG only stocks are almost universally people who've never shot one, much less with a 25 count box of high bass brass. Still, I suppose that's part of the maturity and growing process and a PG, in the end, is a cheap expirement.

15. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

True enough.

At least the experiment is reversible easily and the experimenter will still have an excellent weapon when they outgrow the phase.:supergrin:

It's just another idea. like hooked trigger guards on semi pistols and holding a Glock sideways like a Gangsta, that give the rest of us practice smiling and eyerolling and thinking "this too shall pass".

16. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt
    Expand Collapse

Well, a quick search would have probably turned up the same story that has been mentioned before here again, and again, and again, and again... but oh wait, why not dig up that dead horse a little more and give it a few more whacks again?!?!:upeyes: Although, the shotgun fail clips Blast put up with the fat chick and the skin head were pretty good!:rofl:
    But I'm really tired of this whole debate. Bottom line is that you do whatever it is that helps you sleep at night. It's not my arse that will be depending on a PGO shotgun and I really don't care what you do anymore. So you take a PGO shotgun and run with it, alright.