Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Why no love for 9mm?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by officialaccount, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have heard a lot of praise for the 9mm caliber but I have also heard a lot against it. Mainly I hear the old bigger is better which I disagree with since a headshot with a .22lr will kill. I'm basically curious if there are any good examples of a 9mm outwright failing as opposed to debating whether on should carry the biggest caliber possible or not.
  2. WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    There are examples of every caliber, both handgun and rifle, failing. And I would imagine that most are exaggerated, distortions of the truth or outright fabrications. But of course, some are true.

By the by, not trying to be a jerk, but sometimes a .22lr to the head won't kill. Some headshots don't reach the brain, do enough damage to the brain to kill or simply ricochet off the skull, especially with weaker calibers like the .22lr. Look at the Gabrielle Giffords shooting. 9mm passed through her entire head (brain included) and she lives today. I will say I can't imagine it was a hollow point, but you get my point.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

3. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    I like and have faith in the 9mm, WITH the proper loads, no 147gr. garbage.
    SCmasterblaster likes this.
  4. .22lr is lethal to the head because its so low oddly enough. It has enough force to enter the skull but not enough to exit. which sents it ping ponging around a persons brain. Richard kulklinsky a nortorus mafia hit said it was one of his favorite calibers.

I guess i could see non expanding 9mm leaving something to desired since its a higher velocity handgun round.
  5. mattleegee

Mar 8, 2012
    read around on here.... alot like and trust 9mm

i love my g19 and am buying another very soon.... two 9mm in the household

practice shooting instead of debating
  6. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Oh but yes you are such a perfect shot you can gaurantee a headshot on a moving target, low light & the target is shooting back. Yeah, right. If that were true, we would all just shoot 22lr & be done with it. I get so tired of hearing that one. Yes, bigger is always better if you can shoot it, same for rifles or handguns. It's been that way for decades. Good JHP make smaller bores better but also make bigger bores better still.:dunno:
    There are 100s of shooting reports of 9mm failing, every other caliber for that matter too. Shot placement matters, but perfect shot placement is rarely achieved so bigger bullets making bugger holes is always perferable. A good 9mm JHP will make a bigger hole, but a good 45cal JHP makes still a bigger hole.:dunno:
    BTW, your approach to terminal balistics is a bit juvenile & nieve. A 22lr is lethal to a head shot because it's the head, no other reason. Any round delivered to a persons head will end their life 99% of the time, regardless of caliber. I am sure some low life, unskilled shooter's choice of caliber means something to some people, but really, means nothing in terms of SD caliber or ammo choice.
  7. GlockN

Apr 15, 2011
    To me the 9mm is a wasted round. No potential and no room to grow.
  8. larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    I trust and carry 9mm more than any other caliber. With a good self defense load, 9mm is plenty adequate for everyday CCW and duty use.

Bring on the 9 vs 45 debate. Haven't had one of those around here for at least a couple of hours. :upeyes:

The OP's post you quoted specifically stated he wasn't interested in "debating whether one should carry the biggest caliber possible or not." Instead, he was asking for opinions on the 9mm.

Care to share a source for this statistic? After all, we all know what they say about statistics.
  9. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    9mm is working just fine these days. This isn't the 80s.

A chunk of metal moving at 1200 feet per second is going to lay down some hurt.
  10. Yeah if you read what i said i was quoting a hit a man on the .22lr, who would sneak up on people (he also said heart shots worked too but were messier).My carrying a glock 19 is not a " juvenile" approach to ballistics. not really sure where your attitude is coming from and is bit juvenile itself.
  11. ricklee4570

Sep 11, 2009
    Every handgun round at some time or another has failed miserably.

Not too long ago I watched an episode on t.v. where the bad guy shot a lady at point blank range in the head TWICE with a 45ACP 230 hardball. Both failed to penetrate and slid off the side of her head and she lived of course. She actually ran two blocks for help.

A few months ago there was the incident at the gas station where a man was being beaten. He pulled his 1911 and fired two 45ACP slugs into his attackers chest at about arms length distance. This guy alternated his bullets in the magazine, so he hit him with a 230 FMJ and a 230 Federal HST Hollowpoint. The guy ran to his car and drove himself to the hospital. He is in jail right now as we speak.

I am a 45 guy but not so disallusioned to think "they all fall to hardball" like some others are.
  12. Wyocop

Apr 12, 2007
    A cop in my department investigated a suicide attempt where a .45 ACP to the head failed.

He used a 230 hardball and (I think) unintentionally angled the pistol at the moment he shot. Ball went in near the ear, traveled around the inside of his skull between the bone and brain, and blew out the top. :wow:

He survived it with no brain damage - well, no more than he already had. :crazy:

Knocked him colder than a wedge though! :ambulance:
  13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
  14. Wyocop

Apr 12, 2007
    Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ when possible. Speer Gold Dot 124gr when not.
  15. jbglock

Aug 18, 2012
    No point in debating this as I'm sure anyone that is an leo has seen the 9mm fail and plenty of other rounds. I've personally seen a good head on shot with Winchester T series +p+ fail to penetrate a Rottweiler skull. Personally I've been a little uncomfortable with that specific load ever since. Trying to put down various animals with it hasn't helped this feeling.

I believe a person should use the most powerful load they are comfortable with. For me that is 40 caliber in a Glock. I'd love 45acp but in a Glock the gun I'd want hasn't been made. No 45GAP isn't the answer for me as I won't reload it and it isn't commonly available at reasonable pricing locally. My mother is very recoil shy and has very limited strenght because of a disability so for her I bought a Ruger LCR and put 110 grain wadcutters in it. Is it as powerful or a good a choice as a 9mm JHP? Of course not. For her it is the better choice because if she ever needs to use it I feel her making hits with the less powerful round is more important than misses with something more powerful.

In the end it comes down to what is best for an individual. If a person can only handle recoil from a 22lr and can make hits with it then it is the best choice.
  16. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    Very well put. At the end of the day it's a crap shoot. There are many documented cases in all calibers where the shot has been non-lethal. The one I quote is a former colleague of mine in London who shot a terrorist, who had just previously shot the Israeli Ambassador, twice in the head with .38Special. All it did was give him a headache, hospital overnight and jail next morning.
  17. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Jan 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    I was watching reruns of the A-Team and people are constantly being shot with high powered rifle ammo and nobody gets killed. This leads me to believe that there is no perfect choice when it comes to ammo.

Of course I'm kidding. I went with 9mm exclusively as I am comfortable with the Gold Dot 124g +P round. I do get some 45cal envy sometimes, but for the cost of ammo I can practice shot placement far more with 9mm.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  18. I love the 9mm. I have sold all my other calibers so that all my pistols are 9mm.

I currently have a 3rd Gen G17, G19 RTF2,
    3rd Gen G26, Kahr CW9, Kahr CM9, and Sig P2226r.

The 9mm is fun to practice and compete with. For self defense, I have no trouble trusting it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  19. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011

Yep. It all boils down to which is more important to you? less than 1/10th of an inch, or faster follow up shots and possibly more holes.
  20. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

Feb 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    9mm Parabellum. The world's military pistol caliber. More people have been stopped and killed with 9mm the world over than all the other pistol calibers combined and multiplied.

147gr garbage. Yes, the 9mm loading used most by the men and women who carry the badge, walk into harm's way daily, and actually receive and return live fire. Bill
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.