Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Why most Doomsday preppers will die

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by PaulMason, Sep 9, 2012.

1. PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    That isn't a reality check - it is a straw man argument.

Just asking the question as you did in your first post is not a reality check either.

Watch the videos and then tell us why and how it couldn't happen.

That would be a reality check.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Mar 14, 2006
    N.W. Indiana
    My rural neighbor and I have cut back all foliage 200yds for a perimeter.

His 5th Spec Forces training had been teaching the "Yards" of RVN, he has not forgotten how. He has respect in his heart, but his eyes say something else. Just as a reminder, they( Special Forces and "Montagnards") lived together during the 60's. His grey hair and beard seem to emit a laid back lifestyle. He hates gangbangers and terrorists.

With tiger traps, punjii pits, tree snares, and other pyrotechnics, said to me: "Tell them to come and get some!"
    I saw his Class A uniform once. He was a decorated warrior, now a farmer. He earned that Green Beret. The shrapnel he carries still, and the past keep him prepped for the future.

Should we preppers feel less confident with some You Tube Yo Yos?
    I don't. My neighbor would have volunteered to hunt down Bin Laden, and probably find him. Maybe sooner than our forces did. He's in his 70's, he's slowing down a little bit.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

3. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik

Sep 6, 2005
    S.W. Missouri
    Nice post Lt., and kudos to your friend!:cool:

Well, I finally watched the OP's videos, and I have to agree that there IS greater safety and strength in numbers. However, prepping your property is a good idea as well. Here in our rural area, the first "bad guys" to come calling will be the knothead or two who think they can get something for nothing, via theft, intimidation, or whatever.
    There is a lot of land around here for "evidence disposal".;)
  4. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet

Low probability is the reality. Spending a lot of time, money and energy on a remote possibility is time, money and energy wasted.

I've been prepping since Jimmy Carter was elected but I have learned to put first things first. Basic needs over fantasy charged knee jerk reaction. Taking pro-active steps in building a sustainable lifestyle over a bunker or siege mentality.

So getting back to my point..and the videos (and reality) what can you do to mitigate the impact of gangs invading your space? Uh....don't live in a ghetto for one thing. If they do come your way, leave.
  5. PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    Low probability of what, why and how?
  6. So why didn't you just say this to begin with instead of being a trolling jerk?
  7. PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    FYI - the guy in the video lives in a rural area and has land. He also mentions that his 'gang' is his extended family and friends - not a ghetto 'gang'.

So not living in a ghetto doesn't deal with him.
  8. racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    His message and credibility are muted by his terminology.
  9. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

Jan 18, 2008
    mac66, thank you for your opinion from another perspective. :)

There's no reason to start calling mac66 a "troll" or blast his opinion and reference as a "straw man" argument.

His points are worthy of consideration.

"Let's get the gang together and have a cookout."

10. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    While not that catastrophic or barbaric, the Rodney King Riots and Katrina come to mind.

All that happened because of a court verdict, and some flooding. Worst things can happen here in the USA that could those events look like child's play. We have been very lucky.

I love the naivete of this thread.

Urban Street thugs are out of shape and lazy.
    Umm no, I challenge you to pull up into a urban ghetto playground and gather up every kid between the ages of 14 to 18 and put them up against your best high school athlete from your town and I bet your kids WILL lose. Granted there are fat and out of shape kids in the ghetto, but the vast majority are lean and VERY mean.

When we shoot some of them, and torture a few, they will go away.

This makes me laugh. So Mr. prepper and his friends and family are going to out Badass urban thugs. You are going to outbadass a group where 1 in 4 were in prision at one time in there lives, where a larger percentage was physically abused as a kid, where both male and female have at least a dozen street fight under their belts. Pre SHTF they already live in a crap hole and probably already had a friend or family member die due to street violence or drugs. You and your "time out" , "hot sauce on the tounge for saying a bad word" spoiled, shelter ass is going to outviolence them??? Don't make me laugh.

I was born and raise in a rough area of Philly, and I currently live in a suburb, and I have lived in some rural areas. The difference is night and day. I have seen a 14 year old city boy POUND and BLOODY a 18 rural kid that was twice his size. I have seen a Teenage ghetto girl beat the snot out of an athletic suburan Teenage boy that same age. The numbers are also not in your favor, we are talking thousands of people. What is the average population of a small town, and how many police officers total. Maybe a 100 people and 6 or 7 cops. That against thousands, may moe. Even if you are well trained and organized how are you going to repel that without getting overrun.
  11. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    I like that you brought up Katrina, because that is EXACTLY what happened in Katrina. Degenerate creoles slinked into nice, upscale neighborhoods which had mobilized a militia, degenerate creoles got holes blown in them.

Any more questions?
  12. racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    The Rodney King riots did not spread out into the suburbs, and certainly not to the rural areas. The shop keepers that sat on their roofs for days did not get burned out. The ones that left were looted. Strangely the thugs went to where there was no resistance. They avoided places where their buddies were getting shot at.

The Katrina problems did not spread out in to the rural areas. As I recall one sheriff stopped them at he bridge to his parish and those were not thugs coming out there it was just people trying to get out of the area. As noted above there were not roving gangs that overcame armed resistance. Again they came to avoid where there was armed resistance and went where there wasn't.
  13. PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    All you are talking about is only phase one.
  14. scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    You have serious problems, dude.Get some help................... DOC
  15. PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    Which are ...
  16. Raiden

Raiden C&R Fun!

I think the best bet is to not be in a rival gang, and keep a low profile. A big problem with numbers is that they are very hard to hide. I can make a group of up to maybe 12 people reasonably hard to find in many different rural, suburban and urban settings. Even if someone notices evidence of them, or spot one or two, they're not going to as tempting targets compared to a large encampment.

Such large groups stand out, making them a more-appealing target to other groups vying for larger numbers of resources. Then, it becomes a war of attrition. I'd really rather avoid that. My own personal #1 rule of life is to not tempt trouble, and somewhere just behind that is to always have an exit strategy. Large groups aren't generally conducive to this.

With increased numbers, there also comes comes the point where the ranks grow larger than leadership and available resources can keep in order. Through my work, I've had to feed, shelter, and supply groups of workers of varying size... Logistics grows exponentially more complicated, as the numbers grow. After a certain point, the biggest threat comes from discord and dissent within the group. Toss that in some kind of emergency situation, and it sounds like a logistical nightmare. Undisciplined gangs of people don't have a great track record of maintaining harmony amongst it ranks, without bloodshed.

I am using really broad generalizations, and it's somewhat subjective, though... Given my own circumstances, I wouldn't consider having a large group. Where I live, most folks lose the will to live when their 4G cellular internet signal cuts out. Taking numbers from this pool, would be like hanging an anchor around my neck. Perhaps if I lived in a tighter-knit community, that was more self-sustained, I'd consider it. YMMV.
  17. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    If it gets that bad we will ghost,we got plenty of preps and the ability ta grow more.'08.
  18. BR549

BR549 Thread Killer

Jan 18, 2008

as ta dat dare quartstian at hann bout dees, wee bees a gosen awl redd ee.

dubbel taggid
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  19. PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    After 4 pages?
  20. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Yep. I think there is room for fantasy on both sides of this argument.

Gangs could clearly be problematic where ever you live. BUT:

If they think they're invincible, they've got another thing coming.

Even to an outnumbered homeowner in a rural area, I know this:

If a bunch of say, even 15-20 gang members come up the pike towards my place, I am at the top of a gentle well cleared slope well set back from the road. If they think a bunch of street punks holding Glocks sideways and waving an AK is any match for a well concealed, disciplined shooter with a scoped M1A with a full magazine and more beside him, well like any other self interested person they'll desire retreat or look for an easier target when their buddies are dead or screaming in agony on the lawn in front of them. Scum like that like easy targets, they lack discipline. Attaching a cost tends to change their outlook when there will be so many other easy sheep for prey.

And there's more than a few like me along the way they'll meet before they get here.

I think their discouragement factor will be….elevated somewhat.

Just sayin...