close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why is shotgun ammo still readily available?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Cole125, May 4, 2013.

1. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I am simply curios why shotgun ammo is widely available and has been available through out the gun/ammo craze of 2013 while other ammo has been hard to find.

Is it because gun owners feel they need less ammo for their shotgun VS their rifles and pistols? Enlighten me...

2. swoh

swoh

Apr 25, 2013
    Because nobody took Joe Biden seriously?

3. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Dec 27, 2012
    Spanaway, WA
    By Joe's account, it only takes two blasts..

4. yea, I bought my two shells years ago, I might pick up two more incase people start hoarding 12 g :tongueout:

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  5. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Jul 28, 2008
    Up a tree.
    Because nobody's afraid that a flock of ducks is coming to rob them or confiscate their guns.

6. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Recoil isn't very pleasant so most people don't shoot many rounds in one session. Second, it's $.66-$1/round for defensive loads. Third, it's both heavy and bulky...250 rounds equals 1,000 rounds of AR or 9mm.

Shotgun ammo has still been in fairly short supply here.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  7. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Because no one killed 12 people with a shotgun. Yet.

8. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

Don't know where you are, but there is damned little twelve gauge to be had around here, especially slugs and buckshot. There is plenty of .410 and twenty gauge, though. :upeyes:

9. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Aug 8, 2005
    Rocking the Casbah
    Slugs and buck are in short supply/non-existent in SoCal. Value packs are hard to find.

I haven't see any. FC ammo in a. Very long time and it's impossible to find online. I am, however, seeing more Fiocchi nickel plated and Rio buck which are fine for all short distance purposes. Also, a shotgun is versatile however it's not a protracted battle weapon which is why, IMO, shotgun ammo can still be had. That said, the prudent shooter will buy. What they seek out and find. There's nothing wrong with having 1k rounds of Rio or Fiiocchi low recoil buck on hand.

10. 6forsure

6forsure

Feb 19, 2000
    WEST Texas
    yup. heavy, bulky, not pleasant to shoot, expensive at the retail level. I will say that buckshot is rare while slugs are more abundant in my area.

11. VinnieD

VinnieD

Mar 26, 2011
    I'd imagine with the plastic shells and wads, simple ball molds for lead, and very little actual brass needed, that they're cheaper to manufacture in bulk, and many shotgunners are happy with what they have. I've got a couple hundred rounds stuck back myself. Affordable buck shot is a bit harder to find. It's still available, but mostly in the $1/shot 5 packs. The cheaper 15 round bulk packs are nowhere to be seen.

12. rootbrain

rootbrain Mayan Priest

Dec 6, 2012
    Colorado, USA
    I got my wife her 2 for firing randomly off the balcony.

I'll get her 2 more when she uses these up.

Rootbrain

13. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    Because shotguns are not the forbidden fruit that "assault rifles" and pistols with "high capacity mags" are.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    I'm starting to pick up a bit more. Mostly 00 buck, and 20g for my sons,

15. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Utah
    Don't tell anyone or it will be the next crazed run...

16. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    That is what I was thinking too, shotgun ammo is cheap and easy to mass produce and plastic for their hulls it in no short supply probably.

Those who can't find the shotgun ammo they want, look online. SGammo.com has slugs, buckshot, and birdshot at reasonable prices. Midway also has plenty in stock.

17. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Not available by me! Can't even find target loads. Forget about 00.

18. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    12-gauge 00 buckshot is still hard to come by around here. If it were on the shelf, I'd buy it. The shelevs are stocked full of birdshot though.

19. Because the 2nd Amendment is not about duck hunting?

20. Because not enough Kel Tec KSG's haven't been produced yet!