close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why is it that education doesn't make most people smart?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Narkcop, Sep 5, 2013.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

I'm no rocket scientist but I did that (the shirt) the first morning back at work after my son was born.

Never done the sock thing but I match my socks as I fold laundry so that shouldn't happen.

Lack of sleep can be a bear.

2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

My old boss had a saying, the world is full of people that have been educated well beyond the level of their intelligence.

Knowledge can be taught but intelligence cannot.

3. TheJ

TheJ NRA Life Member Lifetime Member

+1

:cool:

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Yeah, but there are no Engineer license plates. Nor do you hear, "Oh my God. This man has collapsed. Call an Engineer!" ;)

To the original question: Me duznt now.

5. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

That depends on the discipline. You are completely right in some areas of study. A close friend thought that he wanted to be a doctor - until he began his studies and found most doctors not to be that intelligent - more like savants with exceptional rote memorization skills.

He gained his Ph.D and now develops high level medical business strategies for a Fortune 50 Company. Such a job requires an agile brain and provides him the opportunity to function in an intellectually challenging area while associating with equally smart guys.

The levels of learning are Rote, Understanding, Application and Correlation. Those functioning at the Correlation level have certainly benefited from their education.

6. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

7. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

The engineer would just Google the symptoms and go from there :cool:

8. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

As a doctor there are certainly those among us who "powered" through their classes and practice at a basic level of memorization and near instinctual pattern recognition, but thre is a lot about medical education designed to weed those folks out. That said, a lot of medical school isn't about brain smarts but about task focusing, leisure time sacrifice, and mental endurance. I'm sure there are many folks out there smart enough to be a doc but they couldn't hack the years of dedicated study, the long hours, or whatever, so instead they are brilliant english lit majors serving me coffee.

The oil change argument is specious at best. For starters, the vehicles many docs drive don't lend themselves as readily to self oil changes like your '92 ford pick-up, plus they could work and make more $$ than it would cost to pay a mechanic to do the work than they would save doing it themselves. Plus docs understand the value of experience and are willing to have someone with the proper tools and training do the job than a talented amatuer. Same concept applies to any high paid profession. I doubt, barring a love of vehicles, many lawyers, businessmen, engineers, pharmacists, rock stars, IT guys, or whatever do their own oil.

I changed my own oil for years, FWIW :p

9. Dennis in MA

Yeah. I deal with you guys all the time. "Just give me the manual and I can do it." An engineer with a manual and no experience can't see the real problems they are about to walk into. LOL

The good news with Engineers is: Once you show them the first landmine that isn't even hinted at in the manual, they back right off and just let you do your thing.

10. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

This is exactly my point. It's also a generalization, not the rule.

My father in law is a good example. He is an oral surgeon with 35+ years experience, and knows all there is to know about teeth and the mouth. He probably also knows more about the rest of the body than many MDs. He has an extreme wealth of knowledge in the medical field.

In addition to that, he also has a mechanical/technical side. He farms in his free time and would have no hesitation in tearing apart one of his tractors to fix a problem, or design a tool/jig to get the job done. He also knows just about everything there is to know about hunting and shooting. He is what I would consider a very well rounded, intelligent individual.

11. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

I've had pretty good luck with engineers. For each system on the jet that I fly, there is a "Cog Engineer", the cognitive engineer that developed the system. Particularly during development test, when airborne with a problem, there's no one that I'd rather have on the other end of the phone.

If you want to discuss engineer socialization, that's another story. It is said that you can tell the extroverted engineer at a party because he's the one who stares at your shoes rather than his own.

:cool:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

There are plenty of people that can do well on tests but fail miserably in real life situations.

There are many reasons for this but two of the main ones are.

1. Lack of critical thinking skills. Very much in evidence today because many have been taught what to think instead of how to think.

2. Ideology- it blinds people to the truth. And eliminates reason, objectivity, and simple common sense from the reasoning process.

13. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

Let me alter the original question in the subject.

Are less-educated people "smarter"?

Intelligence includes processing information that is acquired through.....education.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Why doesn't education make most people smart? It's because most people are stupid in the first place.

15. racerford

racerford

Sure he knows a lot but can he cook a quiche or darn a sock? :supergrin:

The is a correlation between education and intelligence, but not an equivalence.

Even if 3% of the population have doctorates, that doesn't mean they are the top 3% most intelligent people. Now maybe only 10% of the population are intelligent enough to do what it takes to get a doctorate. Even when really intelligent people don't get a higher formal education they often self-educate on topics theyare drawn to.

16. DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve 10 Ring Inc.

Intelligence is innate, learned. The education system is about money. Very simple :embarassed:

17. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I disagree with the premise. One definition of "smart" is "knowledgeable". Since one of the main purposes of education is imparting knowledge then, almost by definition, an education makes you smart. Smart and intelligent are two different things. Intelligence is the ability to learn and modify behavior based on acquired knowledge. Your question might be better posed as: Why do many educated people not act smart? A high intelligence can make acquiring an education easier but less intelligent people, within reason, can still become well educated with hard work and perseverance. I think specialization can also result in highly educated people appearing not too bright. They may be brilliant in their field but lack real knowledge of other disciplines or even simple day to day tasks. Take your example of the mismatched socks for instance. It's not that the PhD Mathematician can't learn to put on matching socks, it's that he doesn't see the need to. Socks protect the feet no matter what color they are so why bother hunting for matching socks?

18. Dennis in MA

I'm smart!

[ame]http://youtu.be/rg8jODlrka0?t=1m15s[/ame]

19. 2bgop

2bgop

I just spent this morning going over two fresh nation polls on the subject, I don't agree with your premise. Neither survey shows support for military action above 20%.

People are not buying at this point.

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Bear in mind with your FIL that the farming and mechanical work are things he finds interesting. People who find things interesting tend to learn more about them. If he did not find those things interesting he would probably know little about them and would know more about the stuff that did interest him.

It has as much to do with interest as it does with intelligence.