close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why is "faith" a good thing?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by IndianaMatt, Apr 19, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

Why do religious folks have a tendency to preach that having faith in god or gods is a virtue in itself, as if someone's unflinching "faith" is to be commended? "Ohhh, look, her faith is so strong!"

What is so admirable about accepting unquestionably the beliefs of your parents?

If you are going to commit your life to a set of beliefs (especially a doctrine that professes to have all the answers to everything), wouldn't a bit of fact-checking be in order?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

It's a crucial part of the system of social indoctriniation and intimidation that keeps most people entrapped in religion. It can't stand independent critical reasoning, so you must have a system in place that shames people who ask questions and praises those that follow with blind obedience.

#2 Geko45, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I have asked the same many times. I've heard religious people claim, "you just need to have faith in something" but I've never heard them explain why. In fact, I've never heard them explain how that isn't contrary to their own religion, which claims you need to have faith in whatever that religion says is the "true" god. In the bit of Religulous I watched last weekend, Bill Maher asked that question to a group and it was the only thing he said, to that point in the movie, that made anybody visibly angry.

4. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

That is the obvious answer to us, but it would be interesting if the religious members had an answer. I assume, when directly questioned on it, they will deny that christians say such a thing.

5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake
    Expand Collapse
    Rip Lips

Let "jesus take the wheel" and see how far faith gets ya. LOL I think faith is just a personal affirmation to make people feel like they are doing what the moral majority thinks is the right thing. The group dynamic of religion is another affirmation they indulge in, they get the "strength in numbers" warm and fuzzy and it gives them a sense of belonging and righteousness. Funny how their religions teach them to not judge yet they most definitely judge those who do not partake in the kool aid drinking and can think for themselves. they usually end up saying something corny like "I will pray for you".

6. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

You're not going to find the meaning of faith, or even understand it, on some atheist infested website forum.

Read the Bible.

If you have and still don't get it, well just remember not everyone is going to heaven.

Sorry!:sorry:

7. ArtificialGrape

ArtificialGrape
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

"Faith" is nothing more than the license religious people give one another to keep believing when reasons fail. -Sam Harris

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason. -Benjamin Franklin

8. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

Atheists are as likely to do that. Many Christians were not raised so but only believed after looking at the evidence.

9. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

What evidence? Noah's ark?

10. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

So your answer is the christian equivilent of "it's a black thing, you wouldn't understand.":rofl:

11. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

Here's a place you can start. I'm not going to repeat the book here.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Demands-Questions-Challenging-Christians/dp/0785243631"]Amazon.com: The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict Fully Updated To Answer The Questions Challenging Christians Today (0020049106884): Josh McDowell: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UHL%2BhHWdL.@@AMEPARAM@@51UHL%2BhHWdL[/ame]

12. Snapper2

Snapper2
    Expand Collapse

Faith is a product of hope. No hope=no faith. Doubt is a product of fear. Faith is not made up, it is imparted and built up. If my goal is to keep all my shots in the 10 ring at 25yds I need to practice. If while practicing I can do a couple of things. I can see my lack of skill and doubt enters. I have a fear that I cant reach the next level...I suck. I lower my standards. Or I can still see I suck but I'm determined to break through and practice more,more,more.This is hope and determination. When I do reach my goal I then have faith and confidence and skill ,doubt is removed and I know it can be done. Believing in God is easy. Faith comes by hearing His word. Doubt is even easier. Hearing words contrary to His word(and believing them). Or simply by doubting.

#12 Snapper2, Apr 19, 2012
  13. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

But wouldn't it be a refreshing change if one just came right out and said, "Yep, that's it. You hit the nail on the head."

14. Tilley

Tilley
    Expand Collapse
    Man of Steel

It is utter arrogance and stupidity for you to think you can understand something so far beyond your comprehension. And then to say if it can't stand human critical thinking, then it must be false.

As if man were just the smartest thing in this universe...

Newsflash: we aren't.

15. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

So your faith is in something that neither you nor anyone else understands or comprehends? What exactly is it that you have your faith in? The faith is in what you do not know. Religion is intimate knowledge of that which is unknowable.

I'll pass! The material world is too fascinating to just sit there passively watching it in that kind of narcotic mysticism. I have a more fulfilling evening reading my books on science and physics.

16. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

Trust me, I've seen behind the curtain. There's nothing there. The sad truth is that we are the pinnacle of intelligence in the universe (barring an alien race I guess).

17. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt
    Expand Collapse

How can you say that we are the pinnacle of intelligence when, by one recent study, 67% of Americans believe in angels!!??

Surely there must be a smarter race than our own somewhere out in that vast universe!!

18. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

That's why it's a sad truth...

19. Danny Reid

Danny Reid
    Expand Collapse

Don't be so quick to judge. I believe in leprechauns. I play golf with one, in fact:supergrin:

20. Vic Hays

Vic Hays
    Expand Collapse

Faith is like having hands to hold on to God's promises and words. There is a chapter in the Bible that gives examples of men and women of faith. It is Hebrews chapter 11.

Salvation is by grace because none of us deserve to be saved. That grace is appropriated by faith. Faith itself is a gift from God so that we still do not deserve anything even if we have great faith. God does not owe us anything for anything we have or do. It is only because of God's mercy and the sacrifice of Jesus that we can be saved.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Faith has two components.
    1. Believing God exists
    2. Believing that God rewards those who diligently seek Him.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

#20 Vic Hays, Apr 19, 2012