close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why is DHS hoarding ammunition?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    Ive seen two articles referencing that DHS uses 15 million rounds annually on training. Coast Guard was excluded from the contract purchase. So as in my above post, I dont think they are hoarding ammo and understand the "up to" specification, but I dont think these numbers are accurate.

"The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Ga., and others like it run by DHS use up to 15 million rounds a year, mostly on shooting ranges and in training exercises. "

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/23/local-law-enforcement-face-ammo-shortage-as-dhs-stocks-up/

There are other sources, but that was the easiest one to find.

2. GunHo198

GunHo198

Oct 7, 2004
    Tampa

3. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    That is simply what is used by the training centers which run the LE academies and specialized in service training. Quals, practice and the majority of training is provided locally by each agency at local facilities and has nothing to do with the multi-agency FLETC.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  4. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    The simple answer is, they anticipate armed conflict with American citizens. Now, what over ? Who knows. But they aren't arming up to stop the invading Muslim hoards from Somalia now, are they ? They are arming up to confront Americans on a large scale. There is no other answer when you put it all together.

5. As much as this ammo purchase BS has come across GT, there should be a required posting for everyone to CALM DOWN. Anyone that knows anything, knows that the "big purchase" is not all that big and was layed out in small increments.

If you believe anything else, you should tighten the foil.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    A. How much they are actually buying is exaggerated.

B. The zombies aren't going to kill themselves.

C. Note that I only mentioned killing zombies, since I get an infraction every time I talk about killing in a way that wouldn't raise an eyebrow among people I know in the real world.

7. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    A valid point! Those that refuse to heed history are doomed to repeat it.

8. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    Yes yes!! We must take our Soma and be good little Citizens!!! Praise to the Great Ford!!

9. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I've only seen one actual RFQ, and it was for roughly 10-11 million rounds per year for five years iirc. I'd be curious to see where the 1.6 billion number came from.

Not pooh-poohing it; I personally don't understand why the social security administration bought something like 175,000 rounds of pistol ammo last year either. Social security needs that kind of ammo, seriously...?

10. tenforme

tenforme

Feb 14, 2013
    CA
    The lesson seems to have been learned. If the last election shows anything its is that we seem to have stopped electing alarmist, right-wing, nationalist nut jobs into office. :tongueout:

11. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Why not? The agency has a division of federally mandated LEO's who investigate fraud that targets the SS system.

12. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I disagree.

13. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Yup....nothing more than the product of mass hoarding.

14. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    That's kind of my point, LEO's being law enforcement officers. I don't believe the SSA needs its own, proprietary law-enforcement division. Investigative component maybe, but law-enforcement? Imo, every federal agency having its own LE division, investigative division, pension-management division, fleet-management division, etc, is both a cause and a symptom of the huge waste we face. That doesn't happen at the state, county, or local level; at least not nearly to the same degree, although it is starting to catch on at the lower levels lately. But we don't have a law-enforcement division in the county sanitation department, a law-enforcement division in the fleet-management department, etc. But at the federal level, we have more than 90 individual law-enforcement agencies.

It's crazy to look up the number of federal agencies that have waivers for armed employees flying commercial airliners. The dept of education, the FDIC (an insurance agency), the parks dept; can't wrap my head around the logic of that. The federal level is just so bloated that even when their actions aren't intentionally repressive, they're still ridiculously and horrifyingly wasteful.

Just the ramblings of another bitter, clinging, angry white male. :cool:

15. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I can't speak for the situation nationwide, and it's still not necessarily of some manipulative govt conspiracy either way, but in our area at least, deliveries are definitely down to 'trickle' level at best. There's not nearly as much being delivered to either the walmart store, the gun shop, the ace hardware or the local pawn shops as there was a few months ago.

There's definitely panic-buying so demand is up, but supply is measurably down as well; again at least in my immediate area.

16. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Investigator=LEO....same thing. If you mandate one with the power of law to investigate criminal activity and make arrests then by law they are considered a LEO who will need to be armed to do that job.

It is not necessarily a bad thing. It allows the investigator to specalize in the crimes that commonly victimize the agency and gives them a better understanding since they are more familar with the inner workings of the operation. The expertise needed to unravel a complex identity fraud case involving the SSA is totally different than what is needed by the Marine Fisheries Service who are investigating the trafficking of endangered marine species.

17. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    When is it hoarding?

18. GunHo198

GunHo198

Oct 7, 2004
    Tampa
    I wonder if the government is just earmarking money through whatever agency is the best cover story so they can move money around. Can't justify $2 billion dollars for CIA/NSA toilet paper can they? So they just say $2 billion dollars to DHS for 1.6 billion rounds of ammo to make America a safer place for the children.

19. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Is that supply down because the suppliers/distributors where the walmart, ace hardware, pawn shops, etc, get their ammo are supplying more lucrative deals elsewhere?