Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Why is a Smith and Wesson 442 Snubby so hard to find?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CDR_Glock, Jan 11, 2013.

1. CDR_Glock

Apr 1, 2010
    I cannot seem to find one anywhere. Are they that hot?

2. Not many are eager to release any firearm at this time.

If they do, you'll pay a premium.

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    I've had mine for 5 years wouldn't part with it, they are the best gun going for what they were made for, mine is a no lock....
  4. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    HOLLY HELL! I just went on GB there were only a couple there and they were $500.00 and up, ya guess your right :wow:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  5. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Although not a 442.
    I've got a pre lock S&W 342 ti Centennial that I will never sell.
    11.1 oz empty and 13.5 oz loaded with Speer 135 gr GDHP SB 38 +P.
    The S&W Centennials are arguably some of the best pocket pistols.
  6. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Arkansas Ozarks
    I really like mine . . . I use it as a New York reload for my model 42.

7. norm357

Feb 20, 2003
    I have had one in my pocket for the last 15 years or so.
  8. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    642 is wifes second carry. Nice.
  9. When I need to downsize from my Glock 26, the 642 is one of my go to guns :)

As a side chuckle, NY Coumo is trying to ban mags that hold more than 7 rounds, can you imagine that? At least my 642 would still be legal :)
  10. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Feb 22, 2002
    Popular CCW guns are hard to find right now.
  11. vantage

Feb 5, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    I bought one a couple months back after placing the order at least 3 months prior. It was worth the wait.
  12. samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I have two 442-2s sans the lock. I love 'em.

I missed out on one yesterday by a couple of hours. It went for $400 in excellent used condition.
  13. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic Silver Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Where are you in VA? Town police in Chesterfield usually has a few 442/642's in stock.
  14. My buddy bought one of two S&W 442's at one of our LGS's right before the CT shooting. The other one went within days after and I have not seen another since! My take is all the popular guns, (which I consider the "snubbie's" as second popular to the Glock 9mm's for CCW) will be hard to land for quite some time. Not to mention ammo too.

No matter what happens this time - and while BHO is still in power.. the gun crowd will not forget.
  15. KCOG

Oct 13, 2011
    Got lucky and bought a new 442 at the LGS last week. $419 - a little high but I was shocked it was in the case and did not hesitate. They were scarce before the recent panic buying. Good luck finding one now.
  16. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    I've been noticing the S&W snub epidemic since the ban scares and searching for revolver deals. I lucked out and bought a 642 at my LGS (with lock but already had stainless deletion plug RTG) for normal price. I saw the GB auctions and after visiting several local shops, noticing new buyers that just say "I'll take it" after newbie questions and not much handling, people are just out to buy up everything!

ETA: It seems older and larger framed revolvers are sitting though which is good :supergrin:
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  17. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    My 642 was $359 in 2006 and I got a Smith & Wesson carry case, ball cap and hat pin because it was a Smith & Wesson days function at the LGS.
  18. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I love all 3 of my J frames(642, 638CT, and 37). I have no idea what they are going for as of right now, I haven't stepped foot in a gun store in about 2 months. I wouldn't pay over $400 or so for a new one though.
  19. fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Well, the 642 has been the fastest selling J-frame for some time, followed by the 442. I dunno about sporting goods stores, but it wasn't uncommon for LE dealers to be able to offer 642's for less money than 442's.

I haven't asked about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if S&W wasn't allocating more people and floor space to production of the M&P rifles at the moment in the Springfield plant. :whistling:

I remember when I did my M&P pistol & rifle armorer update earlier this year and we were told that the company had recently allocated manufacturing capability for making ALL the components and parts needed for the M&P rifles.

They were continuing to buy most of the smaller parts & assemblies from the usual vendors for such things, to be able to focus their daily manufacturing capabilities on other needs, but had decided to prepare for the option of having to start making all of the parts themselves if something happened to cause a shortage in vendor capability. ;)

When you consider that production of most models, including among the revolver line, occurs in differently scheduled production runs, it's easy to understand how a sudden surge in commercial sales might create some scarcity of some models.

I remember when I decided to pick up one of the then-new M&P 340's without the ILS (to complement my original M&P 340 made with the ILS). I called back to get a price on it under the armorer purchase program, and when the customer service person looked up the price, they had me wait to see if they had any in-stock, or whether I'd have to wait for the next production run to be scheduled. Fortunately, they had some listed in-stock at that time.
  20. supermanct

May 31, 2010
    I had a 442 , sold it and regretting it ever since .I still have the old 36 square butt , it's not the same 442 is a good one!