Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Why I'm voting for Obama

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Gundude, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    What the heck, let's give it a try:

I want smaller and less intrusive government. Neither of the two (realistic) presidential candidates, nor the parties they come from, are supportive of that goal. Therefore I can only vote based on what the consequences of a win or loss would bring. I've decided the consequences are better with an Obama win, for the following reasons:

Short Term:

Gridlock. I'm assuming Republicans will keep or gain seats in both House and Senate. The current crop of Republicans have done nothing to demonstrate that they would show any fiscal restraint with a Republican President. With that out the window, I don't need them pursuing Republican pet issues like "family values". What's that you say? Family values are good? I agree. It's still not their place to dictate what family values are and how they should be enforced. To them, it always comes down to banning something or declaring a "war" on something. No thanks. Gridlock will help ensure the most resistance to both Democrat and Republican pet issues.

Medium Term:

Obama will be out in four years. The Republicans will need to run a candidate who actually is for smaller, less intrusive government. If they can pull that off, he will most likely win, and we can get the real recover rolling. If Romney wins this time, he will either win a second term or be unseated by a Democrat after four years. That will mean at least eight years, much more likely twelve, before we get that candidate who is for smaller, less intrusive government. If the Republicans can't muster up a good candidate in four years, we're still no worse off than we'd be with Mitt or his Democrat replacement.

Long Term:

Bush opened the door for Obama. McCain assured his win. Romney will assure his second term. Obama wouldn't have had a hope in hell if it weren't for Republicans offering one abysmal candidate after another. We need a final nail in the coffin of any notion that we need a progressive, big-government guy representing us in order to steal those progressive, big-government votes from the Democrats. It'll never happen. Democrats have that market cornered, and they should keep it. Playing that game will result in endless progressive, big-government candidates from both parties. We've already gone too far down that road. It needs to end now.

I welcome any rational critique of my reasoning. I don't need "Obama is a poopie-head and deserves to lose" or "Obama will kill us all before the four years are out" arguments. Those were covered adequately in other threads.
  2. Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Vote LP. If Obama gets 50%, Romney 40%, and Johnson 10%, the R's will put up a small gov candidate next time.

3. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Why a liberal Democrat would vote for Obama. Like we care.
  4. Flintlocker

Jul 1, 2011
  5. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

In 1972 George Wallace came close to that number as a Democrat "dark horse" and I didn't see it change the choices in the next election all that much.
  6. Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    That's not out of the question. If I was sure Obama had Nevada I might, but it's still only leaning. I'd certainly encourage everybody in the "safe states" to do it, because an LP result larger than the margin of Romney's loss would definitely be a good thing. Gotta take care of the Romney loss first though.
  7. Dexters

May 3, 2004
    What is stunning about your post is that you don't know the basics of the powers of the president and the congress.

The president can only sign or veto a law - he can not put a law up for a vote in the congress.

The congress wrights and votes on the laws and and can overturn the veto with enough votes. So, if the Republicans have a majority and enough votes to overturn a veto - the president doesn't mean much.

Where the next president will have a large influence is in appointing 3-4 supreme court justices & foreign affairs. If you were going to make a case for Obama it would be in that area.

Summing up, your post doesn't make much sense.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  8. Reminds me a piece of Soviet era toilet poetry...

"Справа молот, слева серп
    Это наш Советский герб.
    Хочешь жни, а хочешь куй,
    Все равно получишь х..."

"The hammer on the right, the sickle on the left,
    This is the Soviet Coat of Arms.
    You can harvest crops or you can forge iron,
    You will get screwed either way."
  9. chuckz28

May 16, 2007
    If you really feel that way why don't you either stay home or vote third party. I fail to see how voting for the side you disagree with will make them weaker. If you don't trust what the GOP has done now, you won't trust them in 4 years. In fact if the GOP loses now, what is to stop them from moving even further left instead of further right like you hope they will? Your plan isn't the GOP's plan and makes too many assumptions. In the mean time everyone else will have to face the consequences of another 4 years with no guarantee what will happen the next election cycle. Sounds to me like an absurdity of Micheal Phelps saying, ill lose this race so I can win the next one.
  10. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    and here i just thought it was because your a liberal posing as a conservative, that voted for him last time because he was "cool" silly of me.
  11. + 1000! This is the biggest issue of all. Look at the Obamacare decision. Not saying Romney will appoint hard line conservatives, but BHO surely will not appoint gun friendly judges!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  12. Flying-Dutchman

Oct 10, 2007
    Self-injury is considered to be a maladaptive behavior.

Seriously, do not strategize this too much as it will backfire.

Just this time vote for the best viable candidate (Romney), otherwise there may not be a next time.
  13. DOC44

Jan 10, 2004
    in my recliner
    [ame=""]Which Way Did He Go George? - YouTube[/ame]

14. BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    After reading the post it sounds like you want to vote for the guy in my sig... Vote for who you believe in, don't just jump on the bandwagon.

"The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one, perhaps, of the Right and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to the doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead, the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can "throw the rascals out" at any election without leading to any profound or extreme shifts in policy."
    - Carrol Quigley, Tragedy and Hope

Well I say VOTE for the rascals! :wavey:
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  15. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Besides the SCOTUS appointments I can see a Very good reason to get Obama out that I don't think anyone has mentioned. Everyone has been discussing what will happen or could be done. I have another view.

I this world even America has limited control over what CAN happen. There are too many unknown possibilities and I would rather have Romney at the helm than Obama, just that simple.
  16. Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    Interesting read. I agree with some parts. Disagree with others. I'm sure nobody disagrees that the Republicans are their own worst enemy at this point.

I (obviously) strongly disagree that Romney is the one "real" candidate amid a gaggle of circus clowns, and the only reason he sounds schizophrenic is because he has to try to accommodate all the wildly opposing wingnuttery around him. He is part of the problem. He is one of the clowns, although a particularly bland one.

All it would take is somebody with small-government principles who doesn't sound bat**** crazy every time he/she opens his/her mouth. Small-government principles can be sold to the masses. But it'll take a skilled politician, not a circus clown, and the problem is that most skilled politicians have succumbed to the "dark side," realizing they have far more to gain personally by expanding government.
  17. Fwdftw

Apr 18, 2009
    Hernando MS
    Tagged for reading later

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  18. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    Tell the truth. The reason you're voting for The Obominations is you really want to see the country tank. Right? That is the only thing that will happen if The Obomination is reelected. Any vote for Barry does nothing but give him... well... another vote. A vote for anyone other than Romney assures The Obiminations reelection. This is not the election to be playing "I'll show them" because all that will be shown is just how far down the crapper this country can go. Anyone that can't see that.... well... I've already posted what they are. :brickwall:

I argued with MORONS (to no avail) before the last elections. Some were just plain racists that wanted a Black man to be president others just wanted to MAKE A POINT. I said they were crazy/MORONS if they could not see making a point wasn't worth the damage that would be done. Did they listen. NO!. Did the Republicans get the point? Evidently not! Now the MORONS want to reelect The Obomination to try to make the same point? YEP! They want to keep doing that which has proven not to work to make a point that is not being made (recognized). If that isn't MORONIC someone please explain to me what it is because I just can't put another label on it. :dunno:
  19. Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    Yeah, I know how it works. I'm not too worried about their ability to override vetoes. Let's see 'em get a simple majority in the Senate first.

Obama isn't going to appoint 3-4 more supreme court justices in 4 years. The two he already appointed are a done deal. Looking to the future, Romney's going to have twice the opportunity to appoint judges as Obama will (unless he only serves one term, in which case it's he and his Democrat successor who have the opportunity), and that doesn't fill me with much hope, given Romney's fondness for big government.
  20. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Let's see here, we are probably headed to some tough times our choices are,

Romney, did a good job running Bain, straightened out a mess at the Olympics, tolerable Governor.

Obama, "Community organizer" coordinating what???, Justice dept. under him does not investgate New Black Panthers for intimidation at polling places, covers up Fast and Furious, orders law not enforced against OWS protestors, his Justice dept goes after Arizona for enforcing laws concerning immigration and everything else they can think of.

A vote for Obama, from anyone with an IQ higher than room-temperature, is a vote to tank the Country at the next opportunity.