close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why I religiously believe in science.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Gunhaver, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It would be like Colonel Sanders giving military advice.

2. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    I just found your choice of words gross.

No one said it did.

We're real close on that one.

Fewer and fewer things everyday. And what we keep finding over and over is that many things attributed to God happened all on their own and didn't need a God to happen at all.

Few people deny such. What many people deny is that there has been verifiable evidence that there ever was or is a creator and therefore no reason to ASSUME there is one. On the flip side of your coin people that assume a creator are delusional as they have nothing to base it on but a lack of understanding of nature.

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    So what creates life?

4. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Any chance he spent more time in the Army than you? He was a Veteran you know. With his particular military experience, he could have given a lot of helpful advice around here.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  5. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    He spent four months enlisted in the U.S. Army as a mule handler in Cuba.

6. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    So we know he could offer advice on mule handling. Still not sure if he was in the military longer than muscogee though. He was named a Colonel by the KY governor. It's an honorary title.

Textbook rough start to success story though. Not a perfect ending, but it sure seems like he gave it a good run.

7. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    What "Creates" life? Nothing suggests that anything "Creates" it. What we're learning is that it happens on its own naturally. We're fairly close to proving it too.

8. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    I love how he completely ignored this. Another one of his tactics. Then he'll claim to have "Missed" it if you bring it back up.

9. hooligan74

hooligan74

Aug 15, 2012
    Charlotte, NC

Read up on abiogenisis. Just 'cause we can't fully explain it or replicate it (yet), doesn't mean it was magic.

10. Geko45

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Kind of an irrelevant point since Muscogee never claimed to be in the military or that he was competent to give military advice. The point was that Colonel Sanders (not an actual colonel) giving military advice was roughly analogous to you (not an actual doctor) giving medical advice. But this sort of deflection is to be expected from you. Why don't you try challenging what was actually said for a change? If you think through it slowly, you actually have a valid (unusually so) counterpoint that can be made.

It is interesting how you resort to intellectual dishonesty even when the truth would serve your purposes better. I can only assume that it is because dishonesty is all you know.

11. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Well, he was an actual colonel. Your knowledge is just limited to the point that you didn't know that there is more than one kind. If muscogee had never been in the military, Col Sanders probably knew at least one good tip he learned in the military that was probably useful, or at least interesting that muscogee didn't know. For those that know what PA's do and how they do it, y'all look petty. I don't need you to understand. It's honestly more fun watching you guys pretend to remain willfully ignorant.

One thing is also certain, dismissing a guy like Col Sanders, who came up with a product and novel methods, overcame adversity, developed a marketing strategy that has led to an international franchise operation lacks a certain insight. I wouldn't be so quick to ridicule a guy like that. His philanthropic efforts still provide scholarships. I doubt any of us in this thread will overshadow what he's done. Entrepreneurs are good people too.

Moral of the story, don't be too quick to judge.

12. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    If we can do it, couldn't someone else have done it on earth, in the beginning, on purpose? Still no magic needed.

13. Geko45

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Please, everyone here knows what a Kentucky Colonel is and that being one does not even remotely qualify one to comment on military matters. That was what he was driving at the whole time.

See? Isn't it refreshing to debate on honest terms? I realize it is unfamiliar ground for you, but keep practicing and one day you might actually be able to participate in an adult discussion.

Aww, and you were doing so well. Nobody said anything even remotely approaching the above. The comment was specifically in regards to "military advice" and nothing more. Back to evasion and misdirection I see.

14. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    The problem is that a conclusion was jumped too. He's a Veteran. I can't remember ever meeting a Veteran that didn't learn something worth passing on to those that never served. A KY Colonel is still a Colonel. Prior ignorance of that is no excuse.
    Col Sanders would have been interesting to chat with. Oh well, much easier to dismiss him than take a chance to learn a little about the guy.

Gek, we both know you can't go too long without ad Homs. When you start debating without them, then you can pretend to be the adult. Not yet.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    Who said it was magic?

You made my point exactly. Science doesn't have all the answers

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    Cool. How? What exactly is it?

17. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Is this the first time Doc has gotten hung up on your post edits? Seems like he pulled something similar before when he got backed into a corner.

18. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    Not sure I understand your question. What we've observed is that RNA has the potential for form on its own when the conditions are right and the materials available. Scientists have nearly been able to recreate RNA in a lab using just materials and conditions that would have been present on a pre-life Earth. No one said it's been proven yet. Only that we're close. Like 10 years close maybe.

19. Geko45

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    As this thread illustrates, no tangent to him seems to absurd as long as it effectively draws attention away from his absolute lack of a cohesive argument. Seriously, what point is Doc even trying to make in this thread? Does anyone know?

20. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    This video gives a huge amount of evidence for how it could happen naturally. There is absolutely no reason to assume that life cannot come about without supernatural means. How many other complex chemical interactions do we not fully understand yet? Why don't we hold those unknown phenomena up as holy?

Assuming we should have this figured out by now is assuming that we know every single way the elements can interact with each other and there are no new chemistry discoveries to be made.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqPGOhXoprU&playnext=1&list=PL550C63DC45532955"]Jack Szostak (Harvard/HHMI) Part 1: The Origin of Cellular Life on Earth - YouTube[/ame]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.