close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why I religiously believe in science.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Gunhaver, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hooligan74

hooligan74
    Expand Collapse

So you're agreeing that really unlikely things become, effectively, more likely when you repeat the scenario billions of times, right?

Absolutely agreed with all three points above.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Not completely. I know this is a meme, but if you put a bunch of chimpanzees in a room with a typewriter, even for a trillion years, they will not type the complete works of Shakespeare, not as long as they are chimps as we know them today, unable to really get where Cesario was coming from emotionally.

ID vs. Unaided Natural Phenomena...... Honestly, both are difficult to have faith in for me. They are very remote in their own way.

It would be neat to find another civilization on another planet that would be willing to peacefully discuss the issue and share notes, as opposed to just eating us.

[​IMG]

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds
    Expand Collapse
    Tewwowist

Frankly the math disagrees with you very strongly

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

History is full of examples. Chance encounters are less likely than those with a motive, opportunity and ability.

The problem is that humans have motive to believe the way they do, and have a hard time evaluating the question without prejudice.

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds
    Expand Collapse
    Tewwowist

What I was saying is that mathematically there are likely to be many many earths out there.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

These are the replies you've posted since my request. Should I take this to mean that the requested examples to substantiate your claim will not be forthcoming?

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

I never skip a chance to post this.

[​IMG]

8. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

9. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

The next time I see that argument or one similar being made, I'll post a link for you.

ETA: is this one good enough?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19900288&postcount=8

#349 Cavalry Doc, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  10. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

The odds I'm speaking of is not whether there are other planets similar to earth, or if that really necessary for life. We've found life in very inhospitable places on this planet.

Just the odds that all the structures compounds and organelles would come together and form an operating cell.

The very first cell in the universe had to have happened somehow though. I make no claim as to how that happened, but thinking about the possibilities is interesting. People that are absolutely sure they know how the first cellular life occurred are interesting too. Occasionally, once they choose sides between ID and random natural phenomena, they seem resistant to accept the other as possible.

#350 Cavalry Doc, Jan 23, 2013
  11. ksg0245

ksg0245
    Expand Collapse

So post 292 wasn't implying what you claimed it was.

12. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

Your claim was
    Can you not produce one of these already existing examples so that we could discuss it?

#352 Animal Mother, Jan 23, 2013
  13. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

That's a leap of faith you are making. 292 is one of gunhavers posts, isn't it?

Speaking of gunhaver, is this one good enough?

14. ksg0245

ksg0245
    Expand Collapse

Could you please cite any non-theist claiming to be absolutely sure they know how the first cellular life occurred?

15. ksg0245

ksg0245
    Expand Collapse

A leap I'm making? You said "I do see a lot of people who seem to be arguing that evolution is happening, so therefore, your god does not exist, and therefore no gods exist." When I asked for an example, you said "Post 292 tap dances around the edges of it."

Did post 292 make "that argument or one similar" (your words) or not?

16. ksg0245

ksg0245
    Expand Collapse

Nope. Pointing out that bad design isn't evidence of deity isn't a claim that it demonstrates the nonexistence of deity.

17. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

OK, you wait around long enough, and another good example will come along. It's only a matter of time and the odds, right?

:wavey:

18. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

I grow ever more confused. You claimed that lots of people were making these arguments, implying they were fairly common. You've now offered two supposed examples, neither of which bears the slightest resemblance to the arguments you claim is commonly made.

Are you admitting that your original post was in error and the argument as you framed it is not common or were you being intentionally deceptive in your original post and assuming you wouldn't be asked to provide supporting examples?

19. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

My words are in the quote. How exact and precise did you expect a phrase like "tap dances around the edges of it" to be? You're being hypersensitive again.

I couldn't a good tap dancing smiley. Please accept this one in lieu of a tap dancing smiley. [​IMG]

20. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

I am starting to see the confusion. The statement is one of an appearance to another. Not an exact measurement. And, It does seem to me that Evolution has been used as some sort of evidence that creation can not be. If it doesn't seem that way to you, it's perfectly OK.

The claim that I was being deceptive by you is a thinly veiled attempt to send me on a homework errand for you. Given enough time, there will be plenty of examples that I may or may not drop a link in this thread for you, if I get around to it. Fair enough?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.