close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why I religiously believe in science.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Gunhaver, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Odd that you would instill a sex hormone into an otherwise non sex topic.

Do you need shots? Is that some sort of point you were trying to make based off of your own illness?

It's just a bizarre thing to pop off with. Off topic, so it's natural to assume you are projecting some problem you are dealing with onto others......

Please clarify as needed. Or post a "thumbsup" smiley if I was on the money.

2. BicycleDay43

BicycleDay43 00 Buck dude

Feb 4, 2007
    Oak Grove, Kentucky
    As was already pointed out, that's a pretty random thing to ask.

I think you should probably know that my last comment was intended only in the friendliest of ways. :wavey:

Sent from the Duke City using OHM

3. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    Is there a smiley with the middle finger raised Muscogee? I feel that's more appropriate.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. BicycleDay43

Feb 4, 2007
    Oak Grove, Kentucky
    Don't be mad just because the lottery has yet to provide you with a lifetime supply of pabst. :supergrin:

5. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    And just how would you feel that was appropriate on a family friendly site like this?

Was any effort at all made to teach you good manners? There are several details about your early life that seem important to know now. Just to understand how you got here.

Birth to 19 years old, are there any details you'd like to share that would illustrate how you are the way you are?

6. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    I don't drink... But if I did... I'd prefer Dos Equis.

7. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Another glimmer into your psyche....

8. BicycleDay43

Feb 4, 2007
    Oak Grove, Kentucky
    Buying a bottle of Dos Equis is a better investment than the lottery. :supergrin:

9. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
  10. BicycleDay43

Feb 4, 2007
    Oak Grove, Kentucky
    That's unfortunate..I was going to offer to come smoke you out.....take your mind off your chances of winning the lottery. :rofl:

11. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah, I don't see it either and it was my post. I think some further clarification is in order.

12. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    Who is making that argument? Could you provide some specific examples?
    Or possibly a misrepresentation.

13. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    I don't see how this post makes the argument that since evolution happens, supernatural deities can't exist. Perhaps you could either explain how it tap dances around that claim or provide a more on point example.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    Folks who struggle with this are usually one of two groups:

1. Those who are anti-God for any myriad of reasons. Usually hubris. (Different from those who simply don't believe)

2. Christian fundamentalists who believe in a literal interpretation of biblical texts yet deny that choosing a literal interpretation is indeed CHOOSING an interpretation. These I generally regard as fools.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. hooligan74

hooligan74

Aug 15, 2012
    Charlotte, NC

No, it really isn't. It's recognizing statistical probability. You did see the post that pointed out how many planets there are in the known universe, right?

16. hooligan74

hooligan74

Aug 15, 2012
    Charlotte, NC

Sorry, missed this one earlier. There are lots of definitions out there:

http://atheists.org/atheism

"Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity..."

I'll give more weight to the definition coming from people who actually ARE the subject of the definition, thanks.

So, your stance is that anyone who doesn't claim to KNOW that God/gods exist(s) one way or the other are all agnostics. Is that it, or am I misunderstanding something? That atheism automatically conveys active disbelief?

17. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    It's an ego thing. People don't like the idea that their entire existence and that of everyone they've ever known was just random. People like to feel like they're special... like they have a purpose. So when they find out it was just random chance and this planet just happened to have all the right conditions and materials to form and support life they choose to not feel amazingly fortunate about that... but less important.

18. Montblanc

Montblanc

Apr 28, 2007
    The real sin is to give credit to a "god" for creating the earth. We are lucky to simply be here and some of us know it. Nowhere else will you find anything like earth.

The world is indeed a scary place and for many god is an outlet to escape reality. Its human nature to want more and to sit in your chair and think that this is as good as it gets isnt good enough for our minds so we wish for more and the bible delivers that.

I try not to take everyday for granted because I know that this earth is as good as it gets, every sunrise every day with my family is a special thing, enjoy life and reality and leave the magic in the book, do yourself a favor and discover what is!

19. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    I know, really big numbers. Really big guesses too, with a lot of variances and a large margin of error too.

The possibilities are remote enough for either side to be completely sure, if they evaluate it all together. It's not a collection of just elements, but a collection of structures and data containing materials that interact remotely within a single cell, one small defect, one hole in the wrong place, one channel that pushes electrolytes in the wrong direction, and none of it works at all. And, once you got all that stuff together, making it in such a way that it could replicate itself, that's pretty remote too.

However it started, it is rather amazing. It would be cool to know for sure, but it's not necessary to have a good day today.

20. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    That's one side of the coin. The other is that some people think they need to know. They guess in the other direction and then try to support their own beliefs to the exclusion of others.

That's ego too.

Why can't we just enjoy what is, and not worry about ensuring that everyone agrees with us?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.