close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why I religiously believe in science.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Gunhaver, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ksg0245

ksg0245

Feb 28, 2008
    California
    Many theists claim the Bible is the infallible word of God. If the bible isn't infallible, that calls into question any assertions based on it, in the same way inaccuracies in a history book render the whole suspect.

2. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    I'm guessing you meant Christian's and Jews? Not just theists.

Obvious political leanings and bias in a history book discussing the civil rights movement doesn't mean that there weren't any people here during that time period.

Just my own suspicion here, but claiming infallibility is only useful in controlling others. It doesn't take long in life to realize the problems with man made documents. Name any revered text or document, and you will find imperfections. Even the Constitution is flawed. There are misspelled words and a couple bad ideas. I see the same thing in people claiming that the founding fathers spoke with one voice.

But flaws in a story, and understanding the human penchant for using analogies, metaphors, and difficulties in telling a story over many generations.... It's a wash. Animal farm is a work of fiction, but there are some very good lessons held within.

So, if someone told me that the bible was a perfect text, and is meant to be followed to the letter and taken literally, I'm going to find myself wondering how much they question things. Same goes for a torah, quran, or any of L. Ron Hubbard's books. As a liberty issue, I don't think I have a responsibility to dissuade them from believing it's perfect, as long as they aren't planning on hurting anyone because of it. Those guys, you have to handle a little differently. But even that's not my job, not anymore any way.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

3. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Yeah but they don't claim to be the perfect word of an infallible being.

4. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    You gave away the ending. Not sure it matters though, he either missed post 211, or just stopped responding when he seen where it was going.

5. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    I'm thinking we are in agreement in the validity of that claim. People get stuff wrong. But even though the bible is flawed, is it still possible the christian god exists, but has been poorly described by man?

6. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    Yes.

7. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    :cheers:

Before anyone extrapolates too far on that, even if the bible was absolutely correct, no misspellings, and historical references were corroborated by unrelated disinterested third party texts, no contradictions, that doesn't prove that a christian god exists either. It's a choice people make to learn about and believe what they want. Choice is generally a good thing.

8. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    And just because two blokes in the UK have shown how they made crop circles it doesn't mean that Romulans from the Alpha Centauri sector have not made some of the crop circles.

If you don't want to get hung up on quibbling over that why bring it up? You have done a great job of getting the resident leftards to chase their tails over that one.
    I read Charlotte's Web when I was 7 or 8. Even though I enjoyed reading the book it did not convince me that pigs and spiders talk to each other or that a spider is capable of mastering the alphabet to the point of deliberately making a web that spells out SOME PIG.

Tales of strange ladies lying in ponds distributing swords is not a valid basis for government IMO. YMMV.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0[/ame]

9. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    Yes. It is also possible that Romulans from the Alpha Centauri Sector have been on earth making crop circles.

10. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    :rofl:

Even that peasant knew about the violence inherent in the system.

11. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    At the risk of getting sucked into this argument I don't really care about . . . If the only extant "contemporary" text of the christian god is demonstrably in error, why should we continue to prop it up over other religious texts or a natural explanation?

12. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    That scene is classic. :supergrin:

13. Woofie

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    Sorry. I made the mistake of replying to this thread about sixty-two pages back and am getting tired of seeing it show up in my reply list. I am eager to see it reach a conclusion where everyone shakes hand hands and says "Yep, that's the answer."

14. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    :rofl:

I'm sure it's right around the corner. Just give us a couple more days and we will all agree on everything.

15. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    So you're an anarchist? No rules... do what you want... buyer beware?

Those kinds of people get caught often. You read about Plastic Surgeons operating out of apartments. There are laws that deal with that. I would imagine it involves jail time. Once identified and dealt with accordingly in our justice system, any remaining property could be seized to satisfy the debt.

16. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    No, I'm libertarian. There should be laws against murder, theft, rape, fraud, stuff like that.

Do not initiate force against someone else.

If you want to do something that doesn't hurt anyone else you should be free to do it.

Someone providing a good or service is voluntary, customers are free to do business with them, or not. Why bring the force of government into it?

And when he does not surrender to the cop you send to his house?

You really have to see where I'm going now, especially if you are reading comments from others on this exercise.

17. Glock36shooter

Glock36shooter

May 30, 2010
    Practicing medicine without a license IS fraud.

And what if the person that commits fraud refuses to stop and refuses to submit to the justice system? You just tell them "Shame on you" and let'em go?

Practicing medicine without a license can most certainly harm someone. It can kill them.

And if a person trusts a fraudulent medical practitioner because they talk a good game but really have no clue what they're doing? Then what? What happens when a person trusts an unlicensed medical practitioner and winds up with AIDS from unclean equipment? Or perhaps just loses a leg from gangrene from a botched surgical procedure? A mother takes her kid there because she can't afford the real hospital and the child dies from a misdiagnosis or improper treatment? You're way won't work my friend. People will take advantage of the lack or regulation and innocent people will get hurt or killed.

Of course I do but what you are advocating is bordering on anarchy. It can't work. People are the problem. "As long as it isn't hurting anyone." That's shaky ground. What about a child molester and the kid willingly participates and isn't hurt? The kid even says "I wanted it and agreed." That ok in your "As long as nobody gets hurt" society? I'm not suggesting that's your position. I'm asking. If NO... why? No one got hurt.

If you respond and I don't get back to you soon don't think I'm ignoring you. I just have a lot going on on the weekends. I'll get back to it if you reply.

18. Woofie

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    Syclone was headed to Paris, France with this discussion, but you drove to Paris, Texas. Totally missing his point.

19. hooligan74

hooligan74

Aug 15, 2012
    Charlotte, NC

Yep, that's why I consider myself an agnostic atheist. It's possible, but I have yet to see any evidence that it is MORE probable than the scenario that it happened through undesigned/unintended natural processes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.