close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why I HATE shopping for eyeglasses

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ArtCrafter, May 29, 2012.

1. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

In the first place, it's pretty hard to find a competent optometrist with a really good optical shop onsite. (This assumes, of course, that there is such a thing as a really good one.)

Then, if your doctor and optician are not co-located, the usual line you get is, 'We can't guarantee the prescription (because your doctor wrote it, not ours).'

Translation: Sure, we'll sell you some new glasses. We just won't guarantee you'll be able to see through them. Any questions?

Then, there's the ubiquitous problem of frame selection. The usual choices include but three basic styles: girly, geeky, or a deft combination of the two. (And not in a good way, either.)

Note: The latter category is often referred to as "designer."

Translation: Overpriced.

Now, in case you can't decide, most places will tell you, 'We can get you anything you want.' The trouble is, that just isn't true.

For reasons that aren't very clear, the entire optical industry is hampered by the old-fashioned notion that good business rests on a bed of secrecy.

Frame manufacturers are no doubt the worst and lead the pack. Many refuse to publically disclose their product line. Others that do leave out key information such as frame dimensions, or the identity and location of stockists. Some don't even have public websites.

Said secrecy then percolates downward toward street level and festers into deception. Every optician I ever met was a professional liar, beginning with the BS line above.

They cannot get you anything you want, and even if they could, they wouldn't. Hell, even if they do, it can take months.

I guess I just don't get it. After a full year of online research, plus two months and several hundreds of miles of shopping around "locally," I still don't have the glasses I want.

I don't know whether to **** or go blind. :faint:

2. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Wow, you have a complete opposite experience as me. My optometrist has several doctors and thousands of frames to choose from.

Just went a few weeks ago and got 180 pairs of contacts for less than 1800contacts.

3. paul45

paul45

Really?

You can't find ANYTHING after that insane amount of shopping?:rofl:

I don't buy it.:upeyes:

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

So you got 360 items for less than what 1800 of the same items cost? What a deal... :)supergrin:)

5. ArtCrafter

I do not live in the 'big city' -- it is more than 200 miles to the nearest big city -- and I couldn't care less what you 'buy.' :upeyes:

6. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

I'm working towards being glasses free within the next 2 years. Why?
    Because out of 5 pairs of glasses in 17 years, only one time has the RX been correct. My current glasses.

I'm rough on frames, broke them at work. Managed to drive to Wal Mart at lunch and they found a frame close enough & put my lenses in there, this was temporary. That turned into a year.

I called the place I got them at, said I needed the correct frames because the ones I had weren't staying together.

"Oh we no longer carry those frames. You'd have to get a whole new set of glasses." I declined and hung up. Glasses run me about $400 a pair. What gets me is my vision hasn't changed and I can still see great, but to get LASIK done I believe I have to get an eye exam now, then wait a year and show that it hasn't degraded.

A bunch of crap is what it is.

7. ArtCrafter

I wish I was so lucky, but no dice so far.

Not locally, and not in the nearest big city (>200 miles away, two trips, approx. 800 miles total).

Based on reviews, etc., I thought I picked the right place, but I didn't. Last time, I went local and got the same kind of runaround. This time, I thought I'd try 'uptown,' but it just hasn't worked out any better.

8. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I lucked out Friday. Bought glasses at 50% off. :) Good glasses.

I've hated buying glasses for 50 years for all the reasons the OP mentioned. When I used to wear contacts shopping for frames wasn't so bad because I could see what they looked like on me.

I had an eye exam last Wed., but didn't like the titanium frame selection at my doc's shop.

I went back Friday afternoon to look again and take a little more time. Didn't like any of them and they didn't have any Ray Ban frames for my prescription sunglasses.

So I went to the hardware store and bought a paint brush.

Leaving the hardware store I considered my fashion concious coworker's suggestion to hit the Lenscrafters store near my house because they have a good selection according to her husband. What the heck, shop for frames or go home and paint the house?

Bottom line, their computer network was fouled up and they were having a one-day-only sale - 50% off everything - no exceptions. I bought...

1) Luxottica Memorize titanium frames with polycarbonate Varilux high index lenses.

2)Ray Ban New Wayfarers with single vision polarized polycarbonate lenses, etc.

Including tax, $664.

Heck, for my bad eyes the Varilux progressive lenses alone would have been $635 any other day. :rofl:

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I know what you are talking about., Try getting a reasonable cost and lenses when you get corneal ectasia after lasik. Then you will see a real problem. Glasses don't work so I have to wear contacts and the fancy doctors want to hit you for double or triple what the regular docs charge and they are no better than the regular docs. I have found that you have to shop around for everything like doctors and opticians etc.

10. unit 900

unit 900

I get my regular glasses from www.zenni.com, lots of good feedback on GT if you look. Pricing is very reasonable and the add-ons are especially fair (anti scratch/reflection). It may be a leap of faith as you can't try them on. The little applet on the site showing the frame on a face helps. For sunglasses, I have been very pleased with Oakley Flak Jackets with the polarized lenses. Next pair will be Straight Jackets. The level of protection while shooting or engaged in other active sports is a comfort.

Anecdotally, I used to get my glasses from a small independent shop. The owner's dad was a retired police sergeant, which is what I was at the time. She was very straight with police/fire customers ( actually with all her customers). She asked me if I wanted the anti-scratch, anti reflection etc coatings on my new glasses. I asked her the price and it was free. I told her that I didn't want her to lose money on me and she laughed. She took me to the work area and pointed out a pint sized bottle of liquid. It was an all in one concentrate solution to treat lenses to all of the common add-ons. The bottle cost her <$50 and with dilution would treat >1,000 PAIRS of lenses. I always am a mite angry when I go to an optical shop and they want $20 or more per treatment for scratch,anti glare and anti reflective. I don't mind them making a profit, but not all of it off of me. Good luck in your pursuit. Love your cat pics.

11. Sr. Bang Bang

Sr. Bang Bang

I'm 31. I started wearing glasses when I was seven. My contact prescription was -8.5 in my left eye, and -7.5 in my right with a slight astigmatism. I saved up $3800 and got lasik this year. Best decision I have ever made. It brought tears to my eyes the first time I woke up in the morning and could see the clock on my bedside table (2 feet away). It was truly humbling. I couldn't recommend this surgery enough.

The actual surgery took about 10 minutes for both eyes, and there was a lot of cutting to do on mine. i do feel your pain about finding a good optometrist. I grew up with a great one but have not found one who compares since I moved.

12. Old School

Old School

Amen, OP. I hate shopping for glasses. Seems that I'm never happy during or after an experience. I can never get exactly what I want and the price for what I get seems to always have outrageous add-ons. Plus the "insurance" that I have doesn't seem to cover what it appears to have and most places don't file Ameritas so I have to snail mail it off and wait months for reimbursement.

13. berto62

berto62

I love Zenni Optical.Never had a problem with them and I have used them almost a dozen times. I now have a diffrent pair of glasses for every day of the week. The last pair I got from them was 9.95 with free shipping.:wow:

14. Cooper

Cooper

I am a photographer. Nikon sells a 50mm, f1.8 lens for their DSLRs. It has five elements, focus and aperture mechanisms, and a microchip installed so that it can communicate with the camera.

The price? $114.95

So my eye doctor wants to sell me a TWO-element, fixed-focus system held together by wire for $400, I say no deal.

I use eyebuydirect.com. Three years ago I bought two pairs of glasses from them for a total of $35 and shipping. Both pairs have been perfect. The first pair was actually kind of stylish, but I broke them in a mosh pit at a Flogging Molly concert. Most people would have been upset and it would have ruined their night. Nope. The glasses cost less than the concert ticket.

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

LASIK 12 years ago. But before that, I never had real trouble with picking out frames or getting decent lenses.

I'm like a freakin raptor now, vision wise. 12 years later, still better than 20/20. I can read crap at a distance that most people can't. Coming from a severe nearsightedness condition. Getting older, so close-up is getting harder. Danged hardening lenses. :(

I'm out of the loop, but I have to believe there are still normal frames out there.

16. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"It has five elements, focus and aperture mechanisms, and a microchip installed so that it can communicate with the camera."

Will it fit on your nose? No. Was it made to order and does it correct for your impaired vision? No. So what's the point?

Is everybody happy with cheap glasses? Nope.

17. Cooper

Cooper

You must be an optometrist.

My point is that manufacturing costs MUST be greater on the Nikon lens than on almost any pair of eyeglasses. It will not fit on my nose, but given a coat hanger and a blowtorch I could make a wire frame that would. So that shouldn't account for the difference in price.

"Made to order" is a generous term. I doubt many optometrists are in the back grinding lenses. Spectacles are not a hand-crafted artform. My guess would be that the lenses are ordered to spec from a factory somewhere . . . probably offshore . . . maybe even the same one from which Nikon orders its glass.

Of course cheap glasses won't work for everybody. But they work just fine for me, and I use my eyes to make a living.

18. forresme

forresme

I buy my glasses at COSTCO. Less than $200 for everything you can have done to them. Consumer reports rated them the best place to buy, and also said their prescriptions were the most accurate.

19. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

I get fitted for contacts, walk out with the glasses Rx and go to http://www.39dollarglasses.com/

It cost me $65 for some poly coated, glare & scratch resistant glasses They're decent.

20. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"You must be an optometrist."

No, but I've been wearing prescription glasses since 4th grade. That would be 1960. Been in the labs from time to time, too.

Some of the simple prescriptions can be filled with lenses straight off the boat from China. I know, I used to only be able to afford glasses from For Eyes and the quality was usually okay if you weren't a perfectionist.

When your eyes get really bad the quality of the lenses and the fit of the frames matters a lot and makes all the difference.

I used to own Nikons, too. They're making money on their lenses. Lots of money.