close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why hasn't interest in muzzleloaders increased?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Pawcatch@aol.co, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

The title says it all.It seems logical that more people would be buying muzzleloaders and supplies given this current political climate,but I went to Deer Creek in Marietta and the owner said that he hasn't seen anymore people buying blackpowder lately.

You have no paper trail when buying muzzleloaders OTC,so I would assume that fact would peak interest in them.

Is it that people think they are just too much trouble?
    I own over a dozen,including a matchlock and a handgonne and they were easy for me to learn the details about them.

2. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

It's a good question. They're inexpensive and very easy to load nowadays. I guess the interest won't come until it's all were allowed to buy.

3. fusegsp

fusegsp

I don't know about muzzleloaders, but I think the interest in airguns is up. They actually make airguns you can kill deer with now. One of the varmint hunting magazines I was looking at the other day has a monthly column on airguns.

4. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

Yes,brands of powerful airguns like Quackenbush have been around a long time,but you still don't get anywhere need the power and energy that you would from a blackpowder firearm of similar caliber.

5. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Lets see, they are a slow to load, inaccurate, pain in the ass to clean, horrible ballistics, stink to hell and back, rust magnets and there are much better arms available...

Other than that, I get what you are selling...

:upeyes:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  6. norton

norton

Maybe some of the other things you mentioned, but inaccurate?
    No.

7. norton

norton

BTW, the big head himself (Eric) has a thread running about his big bore Sam Yang airgun.

8. HexHead

HexHead

There's a lot to be said for a .53 caliber 1oz Minie ball.

9. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

Yes,I give that to you that they are slow to load,but hard to clean?
    Unless you go a long time in between cleanings,they are actually quite simple to clean.
    I boil two bowls of hot water and use a little liquid soup and that's it.I can clean any of my muzzleloaders after I use real blackpowder in less than a hour.

Inaccurate?
    When using conicals,I can easily get two inch groups at 75 yards with my Lyman Trade Rifle.
    BTW,I'm not a great shot,many can get much tighter groups than me.

Rust?Not if taken care of.

10. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

C'mon folks, get real. Compared to any semi modern equipment muzzle loaders are archaic.

2" at 75 yards would be a good reason to sell a AR or bolt gun. And I don't have to boil anything to clean my guns.

I've messed with BP firearms for this the last 30 years off and on, and I've really learned to hate them.

11. Kevin108

Kevin108 file_id.diz

They are an inferior firearm. We can get the best semi-automatic firearms ever right now and often quite affordably.

With all the laws about driving, regulations on automobiles, taxes and fees associated with ownership and the requirement to buy insurance, why aren't more people interested in horses and buggies?

12. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

They're adequate for hunting and pest control, which allows one to conserve a finite supply of modern cartridge ammunition for gunfighting.

That one can knap their own flints, cast their own ball, and produce their own blackpowder, it means that traditional muzzle loading firearms are sustainable when one can't purchase modern arms and ammunition.

13. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

Exactly,I actually prefer to make my own matchcord for my English style matchlock from MVT.
    Also,people forget that front stuffers help win the west as much,if not more than weapons like the 1873 Winchester and Single Action Army.
    The U.S. government sold thousands,upon thousands of surplus Springfields and Enfield muzzle loaders for just a few bucks a piece.They served homesteaders well.

14. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Even in the absolute worst case scenario, there would only be new restrictions on semi-auto rifles. Bolt actions, lever actions, single shot and pumps would be unaffected so why would we have to revert to muzzle loaders?

15. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

We don't have to fill out the 4473 with them,as we do modern firearms.

16. arizona_andy

arizona_andy Caliber Realist

Well, I have a feeling that most of the people who own AR-15s are not going to be trading them in for a Brown Bess, regardless of what laws may or may not be passed.

I don't own any antique arms, but I do find them quite interesting. Someday I'd love to pick up a musket or two, but about the only thing I'd use them for would be a little fun with some watermelons.

17. method

method

I'm assuming that those 2" groups are shot using open sights. I'd wager most people couldn't manage 2" with their AR or bolt gun with open sights. You don't have to boil anything to clean a muzzleloader either. I keep a zip lock bag full of cleaning patches soaked in soapy water in my possibles bag. Run a couple wet ones through the bore with the ram rod, run a couple dry ones, run an oily one. Wipe down the exterior with oily patch. Cleaned. Closer to one minute than to one hour.

That said I'm not sure why there'd be any rush on muzzleloading guns. They'll always be available.

18. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

No 4473 required when buying any gun used from another individual. But lets just assume your doomsday scenario where things are so bad that the government is going door to door to seize guns using 4473s to identify gun owners, don't ya think they would probably have also changed the law to require a 4473 for muzzle loaders as well.

19. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

Thank you Method,I use hot water because I find it dries quicker,making cleaning much easier.
    I was talking about also taking the nipple off and giving the firing channel a good cleaning too when taking a hour,but I could do it much faster if I wanted to.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  20. fusegsp

fusegsp

Nipples are involved? Ok, I'm in.