close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why don't stores have snap caps behind the counter?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Aceman, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

You know, one of the biggest things, number two right behind how it feels in my hand is how the trigger feels. So to find that out, I HAVE to actually pull the trigger!!!

Now, I know opinions on dry firing vary for "NEVER EVER EVER dry fire" to "If it can't handle dry fire how will it handle REAL firing?"

I have AK/HK - so I am closer to the whatever, this thing is indestructable school of thought.

But shop owners can go crazy about this. Well, if a dry fire or two is such a big panties in a wad deal - get some freaking snap caps and let me try that instead.

DO you here that dealers? I pull the trigger or I don't buy the gun. No trigger pull, no sale. And be a big baby about it and I might not even shop there.

And if the gun won't take three or six dry pulls a day, seriously, should it even be made? I know a hundred guns don't get dry fired each 100 times a day!!! Yeah - maybe the Glock 18 - so get a freakin mag with snap caps ready at the counter.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Aceman, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I think it has more to do with keeping new guns looking new.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

3. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

Ten years ago, HKs were notorious for failing due to dry-firing... they finally fixed that "little" problem.

If you want to test the trigger, simply place the thumb of your off hand between hammer and frame to cushion the fall.

4. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

In dealing with the public you would find yourself constantly having to buy more snap caps to replace the ones that kept mysteriously vanishing. You can't even keep an inkpen on you for long; you let a customer use it then the phone rings, the UPS man shows up, well you get the idea.

5. rgregoryb

rgregoryb
    Expand Collapse
    Sapere aude

your prunes not working? Wow, you are one special person. and it's hear, not here.

I work PT in a LGS (retired just making fun money) and we let people dry fire the guns (no to rimfire) once or twice. Tell some one they can dry fire a revolver and they usually do 6-12 pulls in one second.

#5 rgregoryb, Feb 6, 2013
  6. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

most stores let me dry fire a centerfire gun.

7. G23c

G23c
    Expand Collapse

BYOsc

8. CajunBass

CajunBass
    Expand Collapse

Get yourself a half dozen different snap-caps in different calibers, put them in your pocket, and you're ready.

9. rgregoryb

rgregoryb
    Expand Collapse
    Sapere aude

common sense, not seen much around here.....

10. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

My local store does have snap caps in all calibers you can test the triggers with. I've done it quite a few times.

11. NDCent

NDCent
    Expand Collapse
    Socially Inept

IMO, if I had a gun shop I wouldn't want anyone bringing anything in there pockets that even resembles real or fake ammo and putting it in the firearms. Not even from behind the counter. People start sticking things in and out of orifices and the wrong thing might get stuck in the wrong hole. Ask to dry fire, if the answers no, you can always vote with your feet. Have you seen some of the people in gun stores?

#11 NDCent, Feb 6, 2013
  12. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

Yep. You can get into trouble real quick when customers are coming in and putting their stuff in your gun. How would that look on the 6:00 leftist media show?

13. Booker

Booker
    Expand Collapse

Could ya show me how you do that with the firearm in your avatar picture? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. johnstein11

johnstein11
    Expand Collapse

I think most gun stores will let you dry fire as long as you show you are somewhat competent in handling the firearm, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and you ask nicely. Forget dry firing at academy though, trigger locks on everything. On the flip side, I don't want some yahoo waving a gun around pullining the trigger.

15. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

All of my local privately owned shops either have snap caps or will allow you to dry fire the guns in the store.

Big chains are the ones I see that have trigger locks that can't be removed and wont allow dry firing or field stripping of the gun for inspection.

I wont buy a used gun if I can't cycle the action, field strip, and dry fire the gun.

16. rgregoryb

rgregoryb
    Expand Collapse
    Sapere aude

why do you want to filed strip the gun? do you disassemble a car when you look at it?

oops I now see you said used gun...carry on

#16 rgregoryb, Feb 6, 2013
  17. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

I dunno... picture this scenario:

You bring your own snap cap for the caliber you're wanting to buy in with you.

Once you choose your weapon, instead of putting it in yourself, hand it to the person behind the counter, and ask THEM to inspect it and then load it for you.

I doubt they would have a problem doing it that way.. or at least I wouldn't if I were the clerk.

#17 GLOCK19FTW, Feb 6, 2013
  18. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

One of the benifits of buying from a LGS is the relationship that you will have with the owner. He knows you so he'll trust you way more than someone who just rambles in off the street. Sometimes it's worth paying a little more for a gun to get to know the guy behind the counter.

19. CMG

CMG
    Expand Collapse

Yes.... for a nominal fee... :tongueout:

#19 CMG, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  20. clinttho

clinttho
    Expand Collapse

I believe the last part.

Went looking for a airweight s&w last year, found the lgs had one so I asked to look at it. The kid behind the counter picked it up, spun the cylinder as hard as he could and tried to whip it shut. Of course he failed to shut it so he smacked the gun and cylinder into the palm of his off hand to close it. Then hands to me and says, "just don't pull the trigger cause that hurts it". SMH. I'm surprised he didn't spin the gun on his index finger.

I thought about buying one anyway, as j frame triggers IME tend to be pretty decent. Unfortunately the lgs employee told me that the display model was the last one they had. No way was I going to buy that one after seeing him handle it like a tard. Thankfully buds had some in stock one day and I got in my order before they disappeared...I doubt anyone at s&w cowboyed it like the gun store employee.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine