close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why doesn't SIG/HK make a striker fired pistol?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by gatorglockman, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Boats

Boats
    Expand Collapse
    Not Assimilated

Look, I don't care one way or the other about tap-rack-bang orthodoxy spats, but the second strike requirement came about directly from the experiences of past warriors and what they wanted to see in a sidearm.

You seem incapable of remembering that certain units in WW2, in both theaters, were cut off from resupply for extended periods. Other units in Korea and Vietnam were likewise using every damn round they had, perfect or not.

There you are, running low on ammo as a unit. You have some suspect boxes of ammo that are showing badly that they were fished out from the surf zone. Despite what the modern doctrine might say to do about ammo with iffy primers, the Army wanted the ability for the sidearm to take more than one whack at a primer if its operator wanted it to.

That's immaterial, the Army wanted that chance to be present no matter how remote. I didn't write the RFP, I am just explaining that second strike capability wasn't in there randomly.

Again, that is irrelevant as to why the DoD added second strike capability to the XM9 RFP. IIRC, the ability to do so wasn't a JSSAP requirement for the aborted .45ACP trial.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #81 Boats, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Twice in one match, hence "a couple". :tongueout:

My typical carry is a G30, so I wouldn't base my choice solely on that.

Nothing of the sort. Just a competitive shooter that has put a lot of rounds downrange on the clock. It's the only experience I have to base my opinions on (and hope it stays that way).

I agree.... assuming your free hand is available. Otherwise, you are trying rack one handed which is less than ideal. If you are on the ground fending off an attack, one may be inclined to pull the trigger again if the option existed.

As stated, it's not the end all, but to say it has no advantages is disingenuous.

3. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Why doesn't SIG/HK make a striker fired pistol?

They can't get one to go 'Ka-Boom"?

4. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

I have been authorized to answer this question for HK:

STFU. Nobody asked you. When you need one, we will make one. As for the original that we made before Glock, you are obviously an unaware idiot. You may not buy our guns ever again. Even the pistols with hammers.

HK Customer Service
    Because you suck and we hate you.

5. gatorglockman

gatorglockman
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:LMAO

Cold bro....ice cold. I am censoring my own response as to not be banned from GT.

Now....Dance Dieter....Da'nce...like a Sproke't!

6. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

The Sig P290 DAO is worse than the DAK, the P290 was about 9 lbs and the DAK was about 6 ish

:50cal:

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

I didn't know you worked HK customer service!!!

:rofl:

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

There's no technical reason a striker-fired gun can't have double strike capability. The Taurus PT709 does it, for example. It sure makes dry firing more fun.

#88 cowboy1964, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  9. bamarammin87

bamarammin87
    Expand Collapse
    h8tr

Just making a gun with the same trigger pull for every shot, and with a short, 4lb pull and reset, and no external safety. Sole reason I wish they did. It's lame that you have to have a DA revolver pull if you don't want 2 differen trigger pulls in a hk or sig.

10. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Holy Necromancy Batman!

11. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Glock sucks because only HK can make a pistol that will feed cartridges loaded backward into the magazine. That's why HK is made in Germany by true Teutons and Glocks are made in Austria by a bunch of wannabe Teutons.

12. Boats

Boats
    Expand Collapse
    Not Assimilated

So, it's been about a year now. . .and guess what? Striker fired pistols still suck hard in 2013.

13. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

Blasphemy!!

14. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

Is this similar to the response given to those who ask when HK will start making guns with decent triggers?:tongueout:

15. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

in San Fransisco :rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

I think the real question is why should HK make a striker fired pistol?

I really believe their primary focus (HK)
    is the international military and police market.
    Some of those contracts require a hammer fired gun.
    Plus with the LEM trigger.
    I see no advantage to a striker fired gun.
    Plus, although rarely needed,
    I like having second strike capability a hammer fired gun affords.

I love my Glock.
    But would have no interest in a striker fired HK.
    And I own five of them.

#96 barth, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  17. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

:agree:

I actually like strikers, but I don't see a need for HK to build another.

18. Kimura

Kimura
    Expand Collapse

Depends on how many military units and LEAs go that direction in the future and whether HK can be competitive in the market. That's what will drive HK's decision. DA/SA is harder to perfect than SF or SAO and LEM gets mixed reviews. If administrators for large LEAs and military start to see SF as a benefit because of price and decreased training time or if the right people start screaming for SF pistols, you might see a lot more agencies/units going that direction.

I believe the SF gun that was mentioned earlier in the thread was the SF P30 that the German police were talking to HK about. Rumor has it that they asked HK about the possibility of designing one. Then for whatever reason, probably money, decided against it. And it's been said that the only way HK will pursue it any further is if a large contract is involved. Because, as you said, govt contracts is their focus.

19. s&wfan

s&wfan
    Expand Collapse

HK and Sig don't need to make striker fired pistols at this point. HK's striker fired pistol has been mentioned already, but really.... Asking why HK doesn't try to jump into competition with the other striker fired pistols out there is kind of asking why Ferrari doesn't put out a four door sedan to compete with the Ford Fusion.

20. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

See, I don't agree with this analogy I've seen used a few times now in one fashion or another.

If you drive a Ferrari compared to a Fusion there is an incredible difference. They are not even close to being in the same category.

I've owned guns from HK, Glock, and Sig. If anything Sig is different from Glock and HK being metal framed, but in my mind HK and Glock are similar.

Yes the fit and finish is nicer on HK than Glock, but in reality they shoot very similarly. Their weight is similar, their dimensions are similar, and they are both just polymer framed combat style pistols carrying roughly the same capacity. In general the Glocks I've shot had better triggers than the HKs. Until the P30, Glocks for the most part also fit my hand better. In terms of accuracy, in a Ransom rest my Glock 19 shot slightly tighter groups than my USP compact. Does it matter? Not really because those groups were both better than I could shoot unsupported.

A more fair example would be paying Ferrari prices for a Fusion with a little bit nicer interior and paint job compared to paying Fusion prices for a normal Fusion.

#100 nathanours, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013