close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why doesn't SIG/HK make a striker fired pistol?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by gatorglockman, Apr 8, 2012.

1. gatorglockman

gatorglockman

Dec 27, 2008
    Alabama, USA
    FN just got in the game (FNS), S/W been there a while, Ruger has too...Beretta just did the Nano and I suspect we will see a replacement for the PX4 line sometime.....Glock set the standard and I love em'.

Why oh why doesn't Sig or my beloved HK pony up and get into the striker fired world?

HK at least has been in the polymer game for a long time. I can't understand why either manufacturer has not entered into the striker fired build. My only guess is that it may devalue sales of their "classic" lines but I have to guess they are loosing market share as it stands. It is at the point that I am seriously considering becoming an FN fan boy as I can get FN rifles to accessorize any FN pistol I buy :cool:. (can't really do that with HK) At least they are setting trends and keeping price within reason.

I have no knock on DA/SA or SAO mind you...I have some HK's and a Sig 2022. All that said...I wonder if we will see DA/SA in major production 5-10 years from now.

Anyone have any insight or opinion?

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    HK has made striker fired guns before. Hell, they made one before Glock did.

[​IMG]

3. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
  4. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    There was a rumor that HK was working on a new polymer striker fired pistol but I think it's vaporware at this point. I haven't heard anything more about it outside of the rumor. As far as Sig, I don't know of any plans for them to make one either. I think Sig and HK are better staying with they do best. (DA/SA.)

At least with HK they already have a great DAO system. Sig's DAK leaves a lot to be desired though. Who knows what they will do in the future.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  5. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    I'd say a decent portion of HK's civilian sales go to people like me who want a polymer pistol, but want a hammer.

HK, of course, has been down the striker fired path before (as previously mentioned).

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Personally, I love the DAK trigger. It takes some dry firing and range time for them to settle in, but they are fantastic once they do.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    My guess is that ten years from now both Sig and H&K will still be in business and that the Glock carbine will not have taken a serious amount of long gun sales from either.

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    :rofl:

9. phalanxr

phalanxr

Oct 29, 2011
    Correct me if im wrong but a few years ago I thought HK said they were going to steer clear of Striker Fired Pistols.

Their reasoning was hammers were superior if you run into a situation where the first primer strike doesnt go through you can just fire again instead of racking it back to reset the pin in striker fired pistols.

-Phal

10. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Seriously? :dunno:

HK built strikers long before Glock.

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Pssst....

Hey, Bac...

:tongueout:

12. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

Dec 22, 2002
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Let's recast this topic to view what is really being asked:

When are SIG/HK going to make pistols that suck as hard as a Glock does?

13. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Why doesn't Glock make a hammer fired DA/SA or SAO model? I assume because Glock only makes 1 product in 4 different sizes and in 6 different calibers.

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Well put, Boats...:rofl:

15. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    :supergrin:

16. ijacek

ijacek

Jun 21, 2008
    FL
    Because nobody, and I do mean nobody tells Germans what to do! You WILL buy whatever Germans make!

17. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    And your problem with that is WHAT? Yes, I was born in the Old Country.

18. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

Fixed it for ya? :wavey: :supergrin:

19. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Wake me up when Glock has fixed all the issues with the Gen4 guns.

20. gatorglockman

gatorglockman

Dec 27, 2008
    Alabama, USA
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaang.....not much love on this thread. Yup! Forgot about the P7...sorry LOL. Then again, while that pistol is awesome, it is not dominating the modern sales market.

I am surprised at the comments for real. I would love to see market share/earnings and other analytical data on civi and govt sales of pistols in the US and abroad. I wager cost per unit, design type, etc all favor the polymer striker pistol and that Glock and SW dominate 80% of the market (my ignorant guess mind you). I am not saying they are the best...just what is selling.

I think the striker fired design is effective, relevant and exceptionally popular style. I just can't understand the business logic of Sig and HK ignoring challenging that market share. That was the heart of my thread.