close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why does religion = sacred?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by High-Gear, Jul 14, 2012.

1. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    On another thread I referred to religious stories as a myths and another member claimed "offense".

So I ask...

Why does a person's religious views automatically garner respect and protection?

Why is it OK for me to tell another I think they are wrong on any other topic, but religion?

Should it be this way, or does this protection sheild extremeists from their views being exposed through open discourse?

Input from all sides is welcome.:)

2. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas

3. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    Ok, but why? Why a different level of respect vs. your political beliefs, or belief in brand of truck?

4. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    People who are offended when you diss their religion are just being childish.

I prefer to have criticism of my beliefs so I can make changes if I find them to be in want.

The dogmatic can not stand for their beliefs to possibly be wrong. It is fighting words to question them. This is the case with those locked in sectarianism. Heresy is the word sect. It means "party spirit". It is akin to a political party. Religion and politics will get people going.

5. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
  6. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
  7. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    I dont think the level of personal importance should matter. Who cares if something is really, really important to YOU? If a person really, really liked NASCAR, would I be barred from saying F1 is better?

I dont respect people just because they are old (jerks grow old too) I give them the same respect I'd afford anyone else until they lose that respect. I don't respect corrupt police officers, or abusive parents either. These people are not above being questioned?

So why is religion special?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  8. High-Gear

High-Gear

Mar 2, 2005
    Kansas
    You have not been paying attention then. Most atheists I know dont claim there is definately not a god, they dont see any evidence for a claimed god or gods. Therefore one can not make god a part of the equation, as things work perfectly well without god.

9. So if someone believes in gay marriage we should respect that. Glad we agree.

10. So, since atheists refuse to see any evidence they refuse to respect anyone else's opinion?

II Peter 2:19 promising them liberty, while they themselves are bondservants of corruption; for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he also brought into bondage.

11. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    I'm a believer.

You notice I was talking about dogmatic believers. The believers who say they might be wrong are not in that catagory.

I choose to believe, but allow my beliefs to change if I am moved in another direction. Often this is called deliverence, or being set free from a doctrine that is imprisoning. The truth shall set you free.

Respect is a two way street. I'm not seeing it in your response.

12. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    Because it's not true. There is a chance that one of the many theistic belief systems is correct (there are so many that contradict each other), but not an equal one. The position that there is no god is supported by all available evidence. The position that there is a god is supported by no evidence at all. Neither position can be proven conclusively, but that is far different than saying that they are equally valid. That is the point many theists never seem to recognize.

This is a lie as I know for a fact that it has been said here many times by atheists, but I have no doubt you will go on repeating this untruth.

13. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
  14. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    They shouldn't. You should get the respect deserve.

No there is not. Not even close.

I wouldn't say a lot, but yeah there are some.

This I think is just a flat out lie. I doubt you can even find one atheist in this forum claiming this. It is possible to find a couple though.

15. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
  16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    So non-believers are disrespectful...yet believers are also non-believers as to most religions. I'll bet you're a non-believer in many religions.

A chrsitian only believes in one more religion that I do, yet there are a large number that neither of us believe in. On the flip side, the christian believes/says a lot more about how evil other religions are than the average atheist. From what I see, Chrsitians hate wiccans, odinists, hindus, vodouists, etc. a lot more than any atheist I ever met.

So before you criticize non-believers, consider how that reflects on you as a "mostly non-believer."

17. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

Nov 9, 2010
    Who cares if they get insulted? Telling me I'm going to hell is insulting to me. Saying I can eat pork is insulting to me.

If you critisize me be man enough to take my criticism.

18. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Why does religion = sacred?

Because it's not like they can actually back their claims up with any real evidence so they need something to fall back on. When I first saw the title I misread it as "Why does religion = scared?"
    I think it's more fitting that way.

19. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Glad to see you have allowed your position to change.

That is called humility. It is a virtue.

Do share with us, what made you change your mind so we can all get something out of it!