close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why does it take so long............

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mikekj, Nov 10, 2011.

1. mikekj

mikekj

for Glock to post and finalize scores.

When I shoot at the NRA National Matches @ Camp Perry, with 800+ shooters a day, over 4 days, scores are posted within a couple of hours.

Then there is something like a 24 hr period for challenges, after that, the scores stand.

Glock may take a week to post preliminary scores and not finals for 6-8 WEEKS?!? :wow:

Even our local IDPA scores are up no later than the next day, and that's with only one person doing it.

Come on, in this day and age of computers, isn't this a little long?

2. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I'm sure it's because their short of people and running thin.

I don't care how long it takes....these GSSF staff never have a minute to themselves.
    I've seen it with my own eyes at matches and especially at the last match where I ROed.

None of them were 'monkeying' around. They were all busy all the time.

I appreciate what they do for GSSF and if it takes them awhile to post finals, so be it.
    Greg

3. Chris North

Chris North

I don't think it takes very long at all to post the preliminary scores.

But, final scores seem to take some time. Not complaining (that much) but I could wish upon a star to get them faster. :cool:

That said you just opened a thread I am not sure.... Well I will leave it at that.

Chris

Team Random Draw

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If GSSF did only one outdoor match per year, instead of the present 41 scattered around the USA, I'm sure the results would be posted quicker. Personally, I'm glad for the 41 matches and can wait for finals. I'm not planning on leaving Earth anytime soon.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Danny said it well.

Camp Perry is a once a year thing, no?
    Local IDPA is very informal. Don't have a GUN or cash money riding on the results.

Yep, they have the preliminaries up usually within a day or two. The delay for the finals is largely to allow plenty of time for challenges and the researching thereof.

Small staff and a LOT of matches. Yeah, I get antsy as well, but if you're gonna shoot GSSF, just know that's the way it works.

6. SARDG

SARDG

I think (know) we've covered this before - just recently in an extended thread about patience.

I'm not all that religious, but there is a little prayer out there that's appropriate for the occasion:

“Lord, grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference.”
    -- St. Francis

Computers need human input during this process. You may as well bite the bullet... this is not going to change in the foreseeable future.

7. jdh31313

jdh31313

I guess sometimes people have misconceptions about Glock & GSSF. GSSF, specifically is a very small operation which is also combined with Glock Professional (the training arm of Glock) and thus very busy. Be patient and know that the finals will be posted soon.

8. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I'd be willing to bet, that to run GSSF, Glock losses money.

I'm sure all the registration fees for membership, for matches, etc, doesn't nearly cover the cost of salaries, free guns, prizes, flights, meals, lodging, etc for everyone at GSSF.

If their NOT losing money on the deal, I would be VERY surprised.

The purpose of it was to get NEW shooters involved, so in the LONG run GLOCK overall makes out in Gun Sales etc.

I think it's a very good investment for Glock.
    Greg

9. SARDG

SARDG

Bama says tomorrow... and I believe everything he tells me! :whistling:

10. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Wanna buy a bridge? :whistling:

11. SARDG

SARDG

Hmmm... dunno. I already own some swampland in Florida. Oh wait, Florida IS a swamp.

12. mike g35

mike g35

Patience is a virtue. This was my first year competing in GSSF or any handgun sport for that matter and I had to learn this fact also. Try to remain patient, the GSSF staff does all they can do with what limited resources they have. And after the prelims are posted you basically know where you placed anyway. We ALL like to see if we won a gun and we ALL wish the finals would post quicker but they do the best they can. And IMO if the only reason one competes is to try to win a random glock then you're missing the point. Thats not say thats why you asked, its just an observation. :)

13. SARDG

SARDG

NOW you tell me!

14. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Stand down there, Boats!:wavey:

How long did it take for you to get SWO qualified? Wow and that was just one guy, why did it take you sooooo long? Did you get off a letter a day to the family, while underway? Doubt it.:shocked:

GSSF works their asses off for us and get to have all the fun. Like the rest of us, grab a cup 'O Joe and relax, the good stuff is coming.

Welcome aboard BTW!:snoopy:

15. mikekj

mikekj

WOW:wow:

Talk about sheeple. "It's always been this way, don't rock the boat."

Gee, let's not rush into the 21st century.

Nobody is saying that GSSF doesn't work their a** off, I've seen their a** in motion. And they do a GREAT job teaching and running matches.

But if the scores are posted within a couple of days, let's have a set period to contest the scores. Then post the winners and let the computer select random prizes and be done with it.

Even one person doing data entry, hunt and peck typing (like me) could have it done before 8 weeks.

16. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

Ding! Ding! Ding!!!!! We have a winner. These statements above are all true.

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Not going to impress anybody in here with that attitude.

18. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Let's see now. The GSSF Staff consists of:

Chris Edwards
    Scott Gilbertson
    Cindy Noyes
    Scotty Banks
    Donna Bouchard.

Chris, Scott, Cindy & Scotty leave out on Thursday or Friday on their assigned match weekends and do not return until Monday or Tuesday. Donna answers calls, E-mails and processes membership apps and renewals. On a 400 entry match, there are 1,200 score sheets to enter into the computer. That alone is about 50,000 score sheets per year. Add in the 4,000 new member surge in April, causing GSSF to run out of hats. Then there was the surge to remail new members their hats in May. Add in all the pistol Purchase Coupon requests that bombarded GSSF in May, when the new program took effect. Now add in the average of 300 pre-registrations per match. That's around 39,000 entries per year.

Now in most companies, employees are granted a few Holidays per year and a few weeks earned vacation per year.

Give the 21st Century staff a break. They are really working hard for you. It's always been GSSF Policy to allow 30 days after the posting of the preliminary results to work out any discrepancies. It's been running a little longer but GSSF is catching up. Sure, life was simpler with a 24 match schedule, but would you want to go back to it? GSSF is not a profit center, and they do the best they can with the budget provided by Glock of Austria.

When I joined in 1997, there were about 26,000 members. I believe the number is now over 90,000.

Relax, have a cold brew.

19. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Danny;

I could not have stated it better. Most folks just do not know what a small crew accomplished this huge task. They do a great job and have very few days of personal time, it's almost a constant full speed ahead on some part of the many tasks that have to be completed except for a very short Christmas break.

Thanks GSSF Crew you are greatly appreciated.

Don

20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Don't forget Erin.