close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Doctors Should Not Ask Their Patients About Guns

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Jan 22, 2013.

1. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse

Dr. Hsieh posted this in Gun Control. It is appropriate here, too.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. blackjack

blackjack
    Expand Collapse

Well stated. I'm saving that article to print out in case a physician decides they need to make that inquiry. Since I'm in OK, I kind of doubt most physicians would make the attempt.

3. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns
    Expand Collapse

I have not been following this issue. Am I correct that physicans are only asking these questions if someone has minors living with them? If physicians are asking these question, whether or not a patient has minors living with them and my physician asks me about my firearms, I will refuse to answer and I will find a new physician. If I did have minors living in my home and a doctor behaved in that manner, I would do the same.

What is next, asking me about what assets that I have, my net worth, what property that I own and how and where I spend my money. Who the hell do these Doctors think they are? Their God complexes seem to be running amok.

That type of behavior would motivate me to do some legal research so as to determine what legal recourse is available. Most people would think it unwise to so motive a retired litigation attorney with a lot of time on his hands.

RJ

#3 RJ's Guns, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA
    Expand Collapse

There is a great answer to this question should it ever be posed. Don't answer it. How hard is that?

5. akapennypincher

akapennypincher
    Expand Collapse
    Glock-O-Holic

My reply is yes I have a Dan Quayle special, I have had since I was a kid in Florida.[​IMG]

6. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

Because it's none of there Effing business ! SJ 40

7. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns
    Expand Collapse

If the rationale is, “in the name of protecting child safety” almost anything and everything could be discovered under the rationale that it is “in the name of protecting child safety”. I see almost no discovery limitations on the physicians or the government with that kind of a justification.

At law, that type of abuse and misuse is called a “fishing expedition”and it is usually prohibited. Evidently, with physicians, it looks like almost anything goes.
    RJ

8. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

SJ 40
    Thats the wifes and mine standard answer! They actually started this BS in the Military Medical system back in the Clinton days!:steamed: Any doctor whos ask these stupid questions will loose my buisness IMMEDIATELY!

#8 Gunnut 45/454, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. Southswede

Southswede
    Expand Collapse

Oh sir I cannot answer that question because I would feel bad if you were forced to compromise the integrity of the doctor-patient relationship.........:supergrin:

10. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA
    Expand Collapse

That would be an AlGore Special. Quayle has more sense... he made his in pot metal.

11. 17&27

17&27
    Expand Collapse

I'm just going to make up the most sick and perverted sex story I can think of and if the doctor ever asks if I own guns I'm going to tell him this story as if it were one of my real experiences. When he drops the stethoscope and stands there with his mouth hanging open I'm gonna say "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you wanted to talk about things that are none of your business."

12. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

My Dr. sent me this today via PM:

I've been going to him for 10+years. He's on our side...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-CLsMRcA0"]Assault Rifle vs. Sporting Rifle - YouTube[/ame]

#12 wrenrj1, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  13. mortpes

mortpes
    Expand Collapse

Doctors could be asking a lot of things. For example, 400 kids have died from climbing on the new type TV that tip over. In 2010 about 4316 children age 1-4 died. Accidents the primary. Smoking causing fires among the primary up with drowning. But the fact is we hire docs to watch our bodies. They do not have much time. If they talk to you about social issues well your body just got short changed.

14. ChiTownPicaro

ChiTownPicaro
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for sharing. Very good read and useful to share with my friends.

15. DaneA

DaneA
    Expand Collapse

My answer "nope I keep them on me."

Frankly though any answer besides "no" equals "yes".

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. TBO

TBO
    Expand Collapse
    Why so serious?
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

Good article.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

17. RonS

RonS
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

If my doctor asked me that I would walk out of the room, go to the front counter, ask for the form to get a copy of my records, fill it out and leave.

If he is a progressive, I won't go to him.

If he is a moral coward who does whatever his medical association tells him to do, I won't go to him.

My dentist is an NRA Highpower Rifle competitor, he and I get along just fine, I am sure he knows some MDs of like mind.

18. COLDSTEEL165

COLDSTEEL165
    Expand Collapse

Does my Red Ryder BB gun count.?

19. Southswede

Southswede
    Expand Collapse

HELL YES!! (You'll shoot your eye out!)

20. dereklord

dereklord
    Expand Collapse

I hope I don't tick anyone off here, but this doesn't really bother me. I mean, if a doctor asks me if I have firearms, I would just tell him the truth. What will they really do with that information? Correct me if I'm wrong here, honesty, I am open to constructive criticism. Its just that I am a law abiding citizen and a legal gun owner. So this doesn't bother me. Plus, if he wants to find out if I have guns he can just log on to glocktalk and look at my signature block, lol.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire