close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why do we (Pinoys) love 1911s?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Giggity-Giggity, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Feb 2, 2007
    Gun Tot'n in Quohog
    Please help me out with this thought. Everytime I bump into my fellow Pinoys at the range, almost everyone of them has a Colt 1911 or similar 1911 style in .45ACP of course.

Is there a historical explanation? Is there some sort of huge following? I remember my grandfather back in the motherland only had a .22 revolver but never a 1911.

Please share with me, why do most prefer this type of weapon?

Salamat.

2. superman79

superman79

Mar 3, 2006
    Philippines

Because we love the Americans so much!:cool:

3. It's because the need for it was born down south.:supergrin: Plus Pinoys are inverterate gun tinkerers.

4. JEZZZ

JEZZZ

Jun 16, 2005
    Down Under
  5. ahtsay

ahtsay

Jan 16, 2006
  6. MAJINKONG

MAJINKONG Sr. Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Free Flood
    KC... yan sabi ng tatay ko, tito ko, pinsan ko, kapitbahay ko na pulis, kapitbahay na army etc... yun etc mga tropa ko na yon.

7. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Diri, Diha, Didto
    Another aspect is that it has better 'technical' support available. All parts can be changed and customized. Almost all gunsmith know how to 'repair' or thinker or customize. Kahit na yung kikil at pliers lang ang gamit. :) (Even those who use only files and pliers...

Pinoys have a hack for being wanting to be unique and not conform. Just look at the Jeepneys on the road, no two units would look-alike; (or even to a certain extent the taxis and buses).

8. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    padre, hindi pa ready ang policy dun sa request mo ha

9. They used the Philippines as the "Proving ground" of that gun during the Fil-Am war in the early 1900's. Technicaly they used it against the Juramentados of the south.

10. MERCMADE

MERCMADE BULLET PROOF

it's not a phenomenom sole to filipinos, everybody loves the 1911; because its "beautiful" and because of the .45cal bullets it was originally designed to shoot.

11. MERCMADE

MERCMADE BULLET PROOF

.... and because of fpj and lito lapit and the americans, of course.

12. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Because the 1911 was designed for us.... lolol...

Seriously...
    If it's strong enough to stop a Filipino, then
    it's just about good enough for a Filipino to use;
    ...and because 9mm is for pansies.

h.

13. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Feb 2, 2007
    Gun Tot'n in Quohog
    Then why would we own such a weapon that destroyed our ancestors?

I'm not being anti-1911 or anything but just want to start conversation.

14. horge

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home

A weapon's just a tool. If I'm going to bear a grudge over its use against us,
    it'll more likely be against the person wielding it. With that in mind, if said
    weapon works so well, I deffo want it for our own use.

That there are several excellent Philippine-built 1911's, deffo helps.

:)

15. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Not to pick any nits here, but it's just a legend that 1911 fanatics ( us ) like to tell
    Pershing or whoeever didnt land in mindanao and conquer the moros w/ a pistol.
    Sabagay , lito lapid could shoot 2 guys w/ one bullet

I'd go w/ the FPJ movies theory kaya popular
    Pero napansin ko , dumadami na ang 9mm sa people from the boondocks ( hindi npa ha ). Ordinary dobandids

16. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    in the province kasi, may initial shock value agad if 1911 is the carry weapon..compared to other handguns. kumbaga, sindak agad

17. Punisher_nbi45

Punisher_nbi45 R we der yet?

Dec 24, 2004
    a place far, far away
    Personally, I like it because the gun carries so much history, and Filipinos played a part of their development (as some people say that the 1911 is as much a product of the U.S. Cavalry's requirements that they wanted a handgun that is capable of taking out the mounts of cavalry soldiers, not just the riders themselves). It's true that the Filipinos were not he sole reason for the 1911 coming into being, but they were still a factor that the Army Ordnance Board considered, especially after reports of the dismal failure of the .38 Long Colt to stop the charging Moros started surfacing.

The ergos on the 1911 are simply natural to someone who is trained to use it, and the placement and employment of the controls, especially in the manual of arms, highlights the design genius of J.M. Browning during the time the 1911 was put into service. The gun itself is amazingly fast to put into action, whether in competition or in real life.

Again, the caveat here is that you should be properly trained.

If I had to settle for one gun, I know I'd go for my 1911. Yeah, some guns may be more reliable, some may be more accurate, some may be durable, etc., etc. - but no one gun exemplifies all these qualities in one complete package like the 1911 does.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

18. Agree, the 1911 platform has been far the best. Being developed years ago, it remains to be a robust design in today's modern times.

19. horge

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    True, that :)
    If we're talking about actual performance, credit hould go to
    the Vickers Maxim, lol. The point however wasn't that the M1911
    DID help conquer the Philippines, but that potential use here is
    inseparable from the M1911's form and history.

Kidding aside, I think it's just sheer familarity.
    The M1911 was THE "automatic" pistol from 1917 on through WW2,
    kaya nga sina FPJ, yun ang dala. (Same thing applies today to what
    is still known ere as an "Armalite".)

Yun lang ...and besides, 9mm is for weak-kneed pansies. :tongueout: