close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do they want to come inside?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Jul 20, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Why does the phone company want to come inside all the time? Are they narcs? My landline has been out for over a week. So the guy calls today and says he needs to get in. So what if I let him in and the problem is outside? He may see my cache and try ratting me out. He may see me wearing a tin foil hat. :upeyes: Do you guys let the phone people in your home?

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

You still have a land line? HH

3. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

Your stash should be stashed away where it can't be seen.

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Not sure of your setup. In my area there is a outside "box" that has a modular plug you can unplug and house is (disconnected) so you can plug in phone to test OUTSIDE lines. Make sure problem is on phone company side/normally inside of house is YOUR problem. If you don't have "maint plan" its $$$ if they have to find/fix problem inside house.
    The phone company man MAY be trying to check your (responsibility) area without having to charge you.

5. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I will have to hide the firearms and anything else I don't want them seeing. :whistling: I really hate them being large nosed and coming into my castle. The problem is outside but maybe they are just not too bright. :faint:

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

My phone box is inside and hard wired. They may be checking it but I have disconnected all the wires and it is still messed up. Good point about the cash..they are probably trying to get money out of me and I am nice enough to still have a landline. :rofl:

7. Breadman03

Breadman03

At my parents' house, there is a phone network interface box. The telco line goes in and a line goes into the house, and there is a standard phone jack inside the box. I don't think it is a sealed box like he power meter. If you have one, maybe you can try plugging directly into that jack.

(note the timing of our posts.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  8. DustyBottoms

DustyBottoms

When my phone has trouble I hang a small phone at the demark (demarcation) point on my house. The phone company just has to make sure it works at that point. I can even be away at the time.

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I use it for a fax line so i can get my faxes and also as a voice mail. Nut I rarely use it. I have even thought about getting rid of it but I need the fax line.

10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I am going to see what I can do this evening so they can just leave the coming in alone. I am real anal about people coming in. I have had friends get robbed after allowing service people in their dwellings. So hide the stuff will have to be done. Plus my shepherds don't like visitors. :whistling:

11. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for the technician to come into your home until he determines the problem is INSIDE your home. NONE, NADA, NOT A SINGLE ONE.

THAT determination can only be made OUTSIDE your house.

12. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

So in other words I tell him that my gsd critters won't allow him to leave if he enters and to keep his butt outside unless he can prove the problem is inside. :cool: Think that will work?

13. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Its an FBI agent dressed as a phone repairman. Your house is now bugged and they're listening.

14. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:rofl:That could happen.

In today's society you can only trust your dog. :whistling:

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

UNLESS you have underground lines... (I assume single family house?) the wire should come up before entering house. Or do you have a entirely underground line to hinder folks from cutting phone lines?

Anyones place I have been to (single family res) you can find where lines come up, switch to house. A cheap phone/wires and hook it in. If it works problem is in house. (you do disconnect house line first) If it does NOT work then problem is before house.
    In my area the phone lines have small metal "posts" that open up. All lines come up in each post. The phone company guy/gal can hook in for your phone and test line to that point. (My phone line ran above ground for 3 months this yr from one "post" to another. 2/3 mile as the underground line was cut by construction.

16. Bigpoppie50

Bigpoppie50

My phone line went out about a week ago due to some powerful thunderstorms moving through the area. My internet(DSL) was working fine so I submitted a trouble ticket online. Phone company tech(Centurylink) came out and fixed the problem at the NID located outside the house, he did not ask to come inside.

17. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I can see where the lines come in but the wired portion is right inside the basement wall next to the fuse box. I am messing with it now to see if there is a problem but the other day I heard a ring ring ..short non ring and the phone was busy..then it was fine for a few days and then it stopped working. Just another pain. My gf's home has a box outside that you can check like you described. This home is older and they never updated the box. :shocked:

18. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I would tell him that you will not allow him in your home until he verifies that the problem is in your home wiring. He will do this by disconnecting the CO side from your home and checking the phone from the central office to there. If he has dial tone, the problem is in your house. If he does not get DT, the trouble is NOT in your home.

And, in case you ARE worried (I know....) the old days of "bugging someone's house" are long gone. Why would they ever bother to do that when they can simply hook a recorder to you wires that feed your phone at the central office? .........Unless they are NOT cops! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  19. goldenlight

goldenlight

It's a con game. If they get inside your house, they can blame the problem on 'inside wiring', and charge a HUGE service fee. If the problem is outside of your home, which it usually is, they have to eat the repair cost. Their plan is to get YOU to pay for repairing THEIR equipment.

I still have a land line, and I figured this out decades ago.

I pull my telephone wire right out of the house, and attach it to an iron pipe. If there's no dial tone with the wiring disconnected from my house, it's their problem, obviously.

They STILL try to insist I have to be there to 'let them inside'.

I tell them what I have done, and tell them to get their lazy arseholes out or their chairs, and get me a dial on THEIR wiring, outside my house,

Because I know their thieving, lying con game, they just hate me because of it.

I don't care.:steamed::steamed::steamed:

20. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Are your dogs micro-chipped ? :tinfoil: