close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do Smart Phones look so stupid?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Nov 30, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I remember when people used to laugh at the old "brick phones'. :rofl:Now I see the size of "smartphones" and I have to laugh. These things are "phones" and they look so stupid when held up to the ear as a phone. :rofl:Is it just me or do you guys think the same? I understand for texting it is ok but the size of these things is just huge. :faint:

2. Unk

Unk

Actually the phones are SMART, it is some if us owners that may be on the cusp.

Best.

3. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

A smartphone with a 4 inch screen is still no wider than an old telephone handset that had the dialing on the handset itself. It's certainly not even nearly as tall.

So... I don't think that at all.

4. omega48038

omega48038

Because they aren't large phones, they are small tablets that can also make calls. The internet is pretty useless on a 1x1.5 screen.

5. GT4494

GT4494

It is pretty ironic that phones went from "Bag phones" to ones so small you could barely push the numbers to make a call and now they have 7" + tablets that can be used as phones.

Go figure...:rofl:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  6. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

They are not even close to the same size.

[​IMG]

Feeling a little nostalgic? Get one of these:

[​IMG]

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That is what I am talking about. :cool::faint:

8. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper

well, simply due to the fact that smart phones are no longer simply phones. they are computers, alarm clocks, game consoles, televisions, and work devices all in one.

also, with all the people using their devices for streaming vid/pics, browsing the net, etc., 4-6'' screens are definitely justified.

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

They still seem huge to me. I wonder what people would think if I placed a notebook up to my head as a phone. :whistling: The brick phones were similar to military radios and made some sense. The flat phones look nutty to me. They are fine for emails and such but when I am out and about I don't like being bothered. Then they do seem so darned big now. :upeyes:

10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Well, still seem very strange to me. I guess to me small phones are where the phones should be used and then go home and watch tv. :whistling:

11. wvtarheel

wvtarheel

They still seem fairly small to me, but I guess everything is relative and maybe I'm just not that used to handling tiny things?

Well they would think you are an idiot, but none of the smartphones are the size of a notebook computer (or a paper notebook if that was what you meant)

Today's smartphones are smaller than the portable (cordless) phones used throughout the late 80s through early 2000s. Today's smartphones are smaller than most wired handsets being sold today. My smartphone is smaller than the VOIP handset I use at work. Cellphones as tiny flip phones was a fad that lasted about 2 years, just before the iphone changed the market. I guess if you are real nostalgic for the two or three year period when motorola razr, and other small fliphones were popular you might think smartphones are large.

Personally, my perspective on the size of electronics is a little broader.

12. LL6

LL6

Seems the OP has struck a nerve so don't mind me while I watch.

[​IMG]

13. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

i think its more so the people using them look stupid lol .

im old school , i have casio g shock flip phone , rough , in water , drop it , kick it , whatever . i use a phone for what it was made for .

now my wife anddaughters have droids . that is their right , but when we go to dinner or etc , the rule is the phones are off PERIOD .

if not i dont go , i like to go out with family ,not having someone sticking their face in a otterbox . wait ??? that statement is funny :rofl::rofl:

to those who love these phones more power to ya, but if around me or talking to me in person i better have full attention or i will call you on it .

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Funny was in Disney last spring. There were several families out and about taking pix of themselves and the adventures. . .

With an iPad.

??????

You don't have a device smaller than that to take a pic with??? Why not tote around a laptop with a webcam at that point??? It just looked impractical.

15. Tackle

Tackle

The real question is, who makes calls using a phone anymore? The only people that I get calls from are old and still use a landline.

Email, texting, Skype, Google+ hangouts are all I need. If I could get a plan that I had to pay $.50 a minute talk time and have unlimited web and texting I would be further ahead.

16. racerford

racerford

People who want to have a more complete communication experience.

Business calls.

Texting is terrible for complex issues. Most use txt spk which is useless and rud I h8 it. It is also entirely inappropriate for business. Auto correct can REALLY screw up what you say.

I talk much faster than I can text; and more accurately too.

Email is not interactive, a phone call is.

I suppose you think landlines are useless too. I would guess you have never been in a area with disaster or a widespread power outage. Landline is king in that circumstance.

17. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Most landlines are cordless phones and are still useless in a power outage. Also, around here the telephone lines are strung up next to the power lines

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Because they look better than taping an iPad to your head?

19. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Ipads take horrible pictures and should not be used as a dedicated camera.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. Bow Commander

Bow Commander

Probably because their Droid phone was malfunctioning so they went with plan b. :rofl: