close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why do people badmouth Harley "clones"?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Halojumper, May 28, 2012.

1. Halojumper

Halojumper

What I mean are the metrics that people often refer to as clones, but for the most part are not similar at all, yet nobody seems to complain about the ones that are actual clones or knock offs, such as the Big Dogs, etc using the S&S motor (or something similar). It's only a copy if it's not really a copy (and usually far improved) but an actual copy is ok? I'm confused.

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Back years ago it made a difference. Nowadays there are lots of bikes built by custom shops that are better than factory. Lots of Harley parts now come from overseas too because of "costs". But there are lots of Harley looking bikes out there that are indeed "Harley Clones".

3. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

THIS

plus in the watch world , you hear the wordage "homage " which means its honoring the originator . hence its same as clone . which most refer to dive watches as rolex submariner clones .

4. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

In the early '80's, I built an "old school" "California" chopper from the Jammer catalog. It was 100% aftermarket Harley parts.

Nobody EVER called me on it.

I sold it for, like, 5X what it cost to build thanks to the new TV show American Chopper.

>>He was laughing because it wouldn't start and I was pissed. That's what friends do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Because cruisers are stupid designs for motorcycles.

The Japanese know how to make good motorcycles and doom on them for cashing into the stupid Village People Movement instead of making good motorcycles.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Anything with an offset crank is not a clone. S&S, Ultima (the absolute bottom of the barrel) RevTech, Patrick Racing, Merch (R.I.P.) are clones. Metrics use an offset crank so they are an entirely different bike upon their own. HH

7. Halojumper

Halojumper

While what you say is somewhat accurate, it doesn't remotely address the actual question posed.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I believe that you asked "why people badmouth Harley clones".

I gave you a reason why I badmouth Harley clones.

9. Kilrain

Kilrain Señor Member

I heard you say you were a Power Ranger???

:tongueout:

10. racer11

racer11

Nice looking "catalog" build for that era of MC's. In 1972 we tricked out our jap bikes to clone the "chopper look" I had a 71 XS 1B 650 Yamaha twin,,,I chromed a lot of parts, added a 6" extended front tubes and a king and queen seat and did some custom paint. It looked good for that era. Biggest engine out there those days was a 750 Honda 4,, the word crotch rocket did not exist.

I still have that Yamaha, it looks funny next to my Harley.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Viragos, Shadows, Warriors, Intruders, Vulcans, etc. are not "Harley clones." Do you really expect the rest of us to suffer with RSV4's and Brutalles? Really? HH

12. Halojumper

Halojumper

While what you say is technically accurate, when most people say clones they mean the Shadows, Roadstars, etc. Your reponse is my point exactly. (for once we're in agreement)

13. Kilrain

Kilrain Señor Member

It seems a human trait to talk up what you know and like and, more importantly, talk down what you don't. I think it's really that simple. Look at the sports fans killing each other over the teams they like or Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs whatever.

In this case, a bunch of Harley dudes see a metric cruiser style bike and talk it down cause "it ain't a Harley, it just wants to look like one" while the crotch rocket guys just talk down anything that ain't like what they ride. It's juvenile, but it's human nature.

:dunno:

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  14. oceanwarrior

oceanwarrior

Why do people badmouth Harley Clones?

Simple---They can't stand to see something more reliable,more powerful, and better engineered than their beloved Harleys

oceanwarrior

15. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

....do they make harley clone outfits??

16. vart

vart

17. sr556m9

sr556m9

Funny that this thread came up. I sold my crotch rocket a couple years ago and am getting the itch to get back into riding. This time I want a cruiser bike. I think they are more comfortable and conducive to my current lifestyle. Plus, the GF will ride more comfortably on a cruiser.

Back to subject, I really do like Harleys, but I just can't see the point in spending more than twice the amount of money on a Harley as opposed to a Kawasaki or Honda. I think that's one reason the Harley guys hate on the Jap bikes. They feel like they need to in order to justify the absurd amount of money they spent on their bike. It's a case of my dog's better than your dog, even though I don't know anything about your dog.

Like I said, I absolutely love Harleys, and the fact that they are "American made." But, I think paying twice as much for an american bike is absolutely ridiculous.

18. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy

I got no problem with someone riding a Harley clone....I just think its great that you ride. My thing is the folks that say "It's just like a Harley." Several years ago I was at a bike nite event at a local Hooters. I was riding a HD Fat Boy at the time and this guy parks his Honda Shadow next to me. Again, cool, don't care what you ride, just ride. He starts in with "You know....it looks just like a Harley." I nod......"With the pipe I put on it sounds just like a Harley." I nod......"Really, there is no difference." Finally I retort, "You know....I have seen transvestites that looked like women, and even sounded like women....I just wouldn't want my friends to see me riding one."
    He walked away.

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Better than assless chaps wearing Village People concert goers.:tongueout:

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They all have the cruiser look that emulate the Harley.

Well, except the Vulcan which emulated the look of Indian cruiser.

And no, I don't expect the rest of the people to suffer with RSV4s and Brutales. However, there is a wide, wide world of motorcycles out there whose designs are specifically for comfortable riding and good controls which aren't cruisers: Triumph Speed Triple and the smaller version, Triumph Tiger, Triumph Bonneville (though needs better brakes and more power), Ducati Classic GT1000, Ducati Multistrada, Aprilia Dorsoduro, Aprilia Shiver, Kawasaki Versys, Kawasaki Z1000, Yamaha FZ1000, Suzuki Bandit 1200, the list goes on and on and on. All of them are proper motorcycles and not ass draggers.