Why do LEOs assume that OCers are criminals? I don't understand.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by SCmasterblaster, Oct 4, 2012.

1. + 1,000,000

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I do know what you posted and commented on that. The above post reveals that a citizen exercising his rights gets your panties in a wad.

3. Every leo that does his job deserves our thanks. I have done that.
    Those that enjoy bullying and/or and are in for "20 and out" deserve the disrespect they earned.
    Many help the community and don't earn 100K and a pension for it.

#43 writwing, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak KO Windows

The above post shows you live under a rock.

5. If you want to attract police attention, forget open-carrying a gun; skip shaving for a few days, dress a bit scruffy, and try walking through a neighborhood, where one is not known, carrying a TV. Unusual behavior gets attention. This works quicker in areas with good police response time.

One big difference, of course, is that a TV is not much of a weapon. Want drama? Carry a huge screwdriver in your other hand.

6. That isn't what I got out of his post at all.

What I get from your post is that you are one of the individuals he is speaking of that would blabber on and on quoting the Constitution and continue talking about being illegaly detained during a simple traffic stop or sidewalk encounter turning a very routine thing into a major ordeal.

If you exercise your right to open carry a gun on your hip in a public place, don't get your panties in a wad when a police officer exercises his right to make sure you are on the up and up and not a danger to anyone around you.

#46 Roger1079, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. Yuup!

8. thats the absolute truth..

9. REally........ you truly believe that Leo's don't want any one but us to have sidearms? This is where I step out of this debate before I put my two cents in and get banned from the site. Have a good day gentleman... and ladies.

10. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

They said many they didn't say all. I know LEOs on both sides of the fence.

11. I don't know one leo that thinks only people in le should have guns. I call BS for that. Some things are opinions. Some are outright lies.

12. I would agree. Society has changed over the years. After the late 80's the cops no longer liked people getting out of the car without reason. Prior to that it was almost normal to get out and chat with an officer and even sit in the car with them while they wrote a ticket. But violence has changed things.

For oc stops I agree that most are people calling in with "man with a gun" calls. Some officers do act like people are the enemy. But when I see a lot of these taped confrontations people are just trying to set the leo up and that is also wrong.

13. Or at least often repeated internet "wisdom" that has little connection to the real world. Surveys of even police chiefs suggest that a majority agree in some cases citizens being armed reduces crime. Even in one of the most anti gun major cities in the only state that still does not have concealed carry several police groups have come out in favor of concealed carry legislation http://survivalandprosperity.com/tag/fraternal-order-of-police/
    http://www.aphf.org/surveyresults.pdf

#53 Bruce M, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  14. I guess that just doesn't fit with whatever people think they know from watching TV, reading some radical anti-government web site, or other baloney. Personally I think if more of the public carry concealed or openly carried their really would be less crime. I don't even agree with concealed carry as it does exist in my state. I think if you can obtain a handgun permit then you should only be required to take the class to get a concealed carry permit and NOT be charged for this by the state.

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

I don't assume someone is or isn't a criminal. I'm even less apt to assume something about someone carrying a gun. I support open carry. But in an urban area, it's a cry for attention. A permit holder looking to be noticed is going to get noticed at some point, and this can sometimes cause a delay in their day while facts are checked rather than assumptions made. I prefer to blend rather than advertise.

16. Not true. If I pull someone over that has a cpl license and they are not carrying their gun, I ask them "why not. I would if I were you" It is not the LAW ABIDING citizens carrying a firearm we are worried about. Most officers i know do not have a problem with that. Criminals typically do not get their guns legally. Major difference.
    As for the police stopping someone open carrying. Do realize how many calls from citizens the police get on "person with a gun"? Police then have to respond and "check out" that person with a gun. But does not mean the police are against that.

#56 dpadams6, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  17. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

ome people carry openly for good, legal reason. Example - I OC in NH because I don't have an out-of-state CCW permit yet.

18. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I've only heard this on the internet.

(Is that proof enough it must be true? IDK).

#58 Patchman, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  19. Depending on the area I find most cops are in favor of citizens being armed. Now there are some who believe it should be concealed so they will harass people who OC or they do not know OC is legal so then they harass. Through people actually OCing many LEO have been educated on the legality of OC.

20. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

LE are educated on OC by lawyers and certified instructors in and after their academy, not by random permittees. While a select few may have difficulty computing why someone would do that (carry on a permit with the weapon purposely on display) intentionally in an urban setting, by and large, the average police officer is far more conversant with legal issues, to include those related to permittee carry, than the general non-LE/non lawyer public, except on the internet. . On the internet, the average permittee shoots more accurately than any cop, trains more/better/longer than anyone in law enforcement, makes more money than anyone in law enforcement, knows the law and has a grasp of constitutional considerations far beyond the grasp of the average supreme court justice, and has fresher breath than anyone with a real badge. But in reality, there's always room for improvement and mature discourse from both camps. Can does not equal should. But saying someone shouldn't do something just because another party thinks it unwise is no way to live. Carry on! Just do it in a pretty holster.