Why do Atheists only oppose Christianity?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Kingarthurhk, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Checkmate Atheists! Proof that God Exists... Religious Issues Yesterday at 9:26 PM
    Ok atheists, from one of your own Religious Issues Jul 31, 2015
    Atheists Own The Internet! Religious Issues Mar 28, 2015
    Phil Robertson Fantasizes About Rape & Murder of Atheists Religious Issues Mar 26, 2015
    Intellectual honesty, Atheists, and Islam Religious Issues Mar 25, 2015

3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache
    Millennium Member

First off we don't oppose it we just don't buy it

4. Kingarthurhk

Try reading the link. Then get back to me.
  5. The atheists in the article were not protesting a church, so why are you comparing 2 guys hosing down a section of highway to protesting a mosque, synagogue or temple?

The story said that there were only 2 atheists present. How do do extrapolate the action of 2 atheists at 1 event into "atheists only oppose Christianity"? Seems a bit of a stretch -- imagine my shock.

Heres an article about billboards that the American Atheists took out directed at US Muslims calling Islam a myth.

Do you even attempt to display a bit of integrity in your posts?

6. We don't. All religions are ridiculous.
  7. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot

If it makes you feel any better, I think all religions are a self-induced delusions. Heck, some are even more delusional than christianity. Why do I spend more time arguing against christianity than the others? Because it is the dominant religion in this country and the one that most directly limits my personal freedoms. A lot of you believers even go so far as to claim that this is a christian country and laws should be written according to christian principles.
    #6 Geko45, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  8. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

I think you're thinking of wackaloon liberals. Some of them are atheists just like some wackaloon conservatives are Christians.

I don't look so much at the denomination as the level of insanity.

But it's cool if I put you in the same camp as Christians who bomb abortion clinics, wear magic underwear and mutilate their own flesh right? I mean, they do call themselves Christians.
  9. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

What if you're wrong?

You believe all religions are ridiculous.
    You can't possibly know for sure.

Ever been wrong before?
  10. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall HildabeastHater

Why would athiests waste their time fighting false religions?
  11. Why would a Christian that considers Islam to be a false religion spend any time opposing it?
  12. Oh-puleeze!!

13. Atheists don't agree with any gods/religion.

How many times do we have to repeat this?
  14. Oh no, not Pascal's Wager again. What if you're wrong? You've wasted the one life you have wasting your time and money promoting a lie. What if the Muslims are right? What if the Hare Krishna are right?

#14 muscogee, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  15. Back to the OP, Christianity is a martyrs religion. It's encouraged in the New Testament. Endless rants about people oppressing Christians. Therefore, Christians look for reasons to feel oppressed. Its their religious duty. That's hard to sell when you're the dominate religion. I don't see the Muslim equivalent of Billy Graham anywhere. As I've pointed out before, Christians get their holy day off, be it Saturday or Sunday. The Muslims don't get their day off (Friday). Muslims have never forced any Blue Laws down my throat. Christan have. They may get as pushy as Christians some day. When they do, rest assured that atheists will push back.
  16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's easy (and yes, I have been involved with anti-religion activism) - because only 1 religion significantly affects and places restrictions on the lives of people who don't follow it or believe in it, in America. Our politicians, laws, social acceptance and many other factors are governed by the christian religion, in this country.

You are wrong, that they "only" oppose christianity (remember the thread a while back about the atheist attacked for dressing up as zombie mohammed), but (a) it is the greatest concern in America and (b) you see it that way, because it's your religion.
    #17 Bren, Mar 22, 2012
  17. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I think it's the one that says: "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today..."
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

As they said, Pascal's wager.

I believe all religions are ridiculous, because they are not supported by evidence.

You believe all of them but 1 are ridiculous. Your chances of being right are not much better than an atheist.

The biggest flaw in "Pascal's wager," as I see it, is that it pretends the choices are "christian or atheist" so in a fictional world with only 1 religion, it would be a valid statement of a philosophical issue, if nothing else. Pascal ignored the fact that his religion is one of many, so the choices are not "yes or no" to christianity. In short - it's only a valid "wager" with 50/50 odds from a christian point of view - otherwise, it's more like a roulette wheel with hundreds of extra numbers.
    #19 Bren, Mar 22, 2012
  19. Kingarthurhk

Really? It is the only religion? Further, how has it placed a restriction on your life?