close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why did I buy the Lee Bulge Buster?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Hogpauls, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Nov 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I was wondering this while loading up some .40 SW the other day. This spurred an impromtu unscientific experiment to collect some numbers and justify why I bought it and use it.

I'm not gonna bore you with the excuses I used to convince myself why I got it. Trust me I've used lesser logical ideas to waste more money (lots more money) than I did on the Bulge Buster..........we all have. Nor am I gonna bore you with the 2 pages of big words Miriam Webster could provide and my thoughts about this fact finding mission. And, no I won't be doing this for my 10MM brass either. So for now "Just the facts ma'am".

Brass: 2x fired Winchester
    Gun: Glock 23 gen 2
    Dies: RCBS carbide and Lee Bulge Buster
    Calipers: Starret dial calipers
    Press: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For the time wasted on this I could've reloaded a couple hundred rounds, shot them and reloaded again. If this helps in your decision to buy or not to buy great.

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Numbers, numbers, numbers, where the hell is Stephen Hawkin when you need him? My head hurts. :crying:

Jack

oneofthose likes this.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Sweet. Can't wait to go home and measure some brass run through a Lee Sizers to compare it to your RCBS sizer.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    It looks like the only example that doesn't meet the dimensions in the Hornady manual are from Example 1.

The base should be 0.424"

OTOH, your brass is coming out of the chamber at 0.432" so even the first example should fit fine. The SAMMI spec for chamber diameter at the base is 0.427" so, obviously, the Glock chamber is oversize. But I think I recall reading that this is the case for Glock barrels.

All of the cases are short when compared to the spec of 0.850" with a tolerance of +0.000, -0.010. The minimum would be 0.840".

You can get the SAMMI standard here:
    http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

I would try a 'plunk' test on the first example and if it dropped into the chamber and rotated freely, I think I would just use the standard die.

Richard

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    My Lyman and Lee manuals say the base should be .425" or smaller just before the groove.

I sized a bunch of brass. WIN, Starline, Fed. My Starline had seen MAX loads. It sized back down to .424". All the other sized to about .422-.423". All better then your RCBS die by far and in some ways better then your Pass through FCD. Just depends if I would cherry pick it or not.

I have always said Pass through dies are a total waste of money UNLESS you have tried a Lee sizer first and found it not to work good enough.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  6. I'm glad I don't shoot and reload 40. Seems far to complicated and cumbersome. Plus I think that caliber must mess with your mind - look at the lengths folks go 'explain' their 40 reloading. Cult mind control that 40 caliber is.

7. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I get a kick out of the guys that think they need something special to load .40 S&W. There are very few cartridges that need special steps or special tooling, like the 7.62 Nagant.

fredj338 likes this.
  8. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    It's actually so easy a caveman could do it. Or bushpilot.

9. Any chance or re-posting the photos?

10. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

Feb 27, 2009
    America
    Lures are for fisherman.....not the fish. Marketing genius has gotten me more than once.

darbam likes this.
  11. I second that emotion.

12. dervisivitz dokes

dervisivitz dokes Micheal D Dokes

Feb 1, 2015
    River Rouge MI
    Straight walled cases are easy. Bottleneck cartridges such as the 357 Sig or 7.62x25 Tokarev on the other hand require more steps and adequate neck tension can be a problem...

I just noticed this thread is four years old

13. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico
    Hype....myth....conjecture. I don't load with any of em'!

14. oneofthose

oneofthose

May 16, 2007
    I didn't notice the date on the thread before I clicked on it. When I scrolled down and saw the first reply was GioaJack, I nearly sprayed my beverage on the screen.

Then I "liked" his post since I noticed he didn't have any "likes", and that just didn't seem right.

Rest in Peace, Jack. You are missed in these pages.