close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Why buy a second press?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Aug 21, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    My wife, after a year of searching (seriously, I thought there was a NURSING SHORTAGE, tell that to all the nurses from my wife's class who are still without a job) my wife finally has a good potential to get hired. After 12 years of single income, living paycheck to paycheck, it's about to all change.

I've been pondering what my first extraneous purchase will be, and I think I'm down to a Gen3 Glock 19 to compliment my Gen4, or a new press, probably a 550b.

Most of you guys remember that I'm currently rocking a LCT and everything on it works just fine. I love the powder measure system and am a bit intimidated by the dillon system (don't you have to check more frequently, as those micro adjustment screws can move about?). In addition, I'm not really sure why I would want/need two presses on my bench.

So, those of you with multiple presses.. why? :)

2. It is all about needs. The press suites your needs so...... do I need more than I need?

I have always found it useful having a single stage around. More often than I can count.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    If you like the LCT powder measure, get an LNL(little cheaper than the 550), has 5 stations for a powder check die if you want it, and your Lee disk powder measure won't look to out of place on the press, and the caliber conversions for a LNL will be less w/ a LNL.

IGF

4. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I mean, I'm not opposed to the Dillon systems, that is of course if my assessment was incorrect and it's more reliable than I perceive..

5. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    Mike,

Congrats to your wife on the new job!

I used 1 press (a 550) for a very long time, it served me well. I bought a second press (the 650) becuase I was tired of the primer swap, and the 550 primer slide was annoying me. Add that to life getting busy and wanting more speed.

If you want a press and shoot alot then go for it. I would give the LNL a look and the 550 and 650. Think about the amount you want to produce in a session at the press. If what you have works then there is nothing wrong with it. If you want an upgrade, go for it!

Good luck to the wife at her new job!

6. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    The 550 is a non issue other then the primer slide. It gets dirty and chatters, you have to clean it and use a scotchbrite pad to polish it from time to time. I get 500 to 800 rounds at best between cleaning. I believe C4W said he gets around 1K from his. I never had a powder meassure problem. I check and adjust it run a few hundred (usualy 300) and recheck it. I never have to readjust it. So far the 650 has loaded around 1200 rounds of 45. 2 small adjustments to the case inserting block and it has not been touched, no primer issues. It is a completly diffrent primer system.

7. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    Mike I load a lot of Unique,& Blue Dot on my two 550's and my 450 and Sq. DealB. I visually inspect each powder charge. Hard to get a double using BD or Unique because it over fills the cases. Once adjusted my measurer's are very consistent. I do measure some that don't look right, and every hundred rounds for safeties reasons. When I first started I measured every 10 rounds or so. You will know if you screw adjuster is moving quite quickly. When I set up new dies and powder measurer I go back to every few rounds until I'm comfortable. Loaded over 100+K rounds works good for me.
    PS my reason for having multi presses. Sq Deal was my first progressive press, not worth selling dedicated 38 spec., bought 550B for 44 mag, now load 10mm also on it (two heads set up, change the base plate and go), my other 550 I load small primer 9mm on. My 450 is set up for 300 win mag, left the solid frame with all the other upgrades added. I'm lazy and don't want to change the primer tubes on my 550's.Plus I shoot the 9's and 10's all the time.

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Your wife doesn't NEED to shop at Victoria's Secret but it sure make life a lot more fun... so does a second or third or fourth or more presses. (Of course you can always wait until your next life... if you're that confident. :dunno:

BTW... if you're going to buy a new gun you may want to consider a real gun... not one of those plastic sissy guns. Just sayin', ya know? :whistling:

Jack

9. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    Jack,

You allways find a great way to put things in prespective!

Mike,

Don't tell him but he's right about plastic guns. 1911s are way more fun. A word of warning though, like most wonderfull things you can't stop at one!

10. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Good point...

Wilson Combat CQC Compact is my dream gun that I will start stowing money away for at some point..

11. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    The dillion powder system is rock solid. It is basically a set it and forget it system. I have never had to readjust mine once it was set. You just need to make sure the powder is settled and throw several loads before you weigh it. After I adjust the powder bar I will throw and return three powder loads and weigh the fourth. I check it occasionally but I never had to adjust it.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    This.

When I first started, I would use the scale when I started a session, after the first 10, after the first 50.... Not any more.

Once I have a load set... all I do when I start a session is to throw TEN loads and start loading. The Dillon powder system is rock solid and very consistent.

Regarding the previous comments about the primer system. Man, I must be lucky or something. Seriously, I don't even think I clean my every 5000 rounds! Much less every 800? I think that would get old. You do have that flat "bearing" thing in there?

I'm considering a second press, it might be awhile as I want a 650. Since I've started shooting, my wants/needs have greatly increased. I'm currently shooting 2000 rounds (or so) a month, would like to shoot even more. I want a 650 (maybe a 1050?) dedicated to my 9mm, and keep my 550B for everything else. I can see a .40 and .45ACP setup down the road for it. Maybe even .380.

13. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    I do have the flat bearing in there. The press has seen alot of ammo in its day. I may have it refurbed by Dillon.

I have been lovin my 650 since I got it. My idea was a dedicated (650) press for 45 and 550 for the rest. Unclebob gave me an idea about swapping the case feeder around and I would consider a second 650 someday. Hey I still am tempted to get a LNL, just to annoy the heck out of Jack!

14. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Exactly, it's built to be that way. It really can't get out of adjustment once set. The primer bar is another issue & except for Ron59, I don't know anyone that doesn't have issues keeping it clean. Mayb Ron is depriming before tumbling & sizing deprimed brass. Most of the crud that gets caught in the priming system comes from depriming. I keep air on the bench to blow the slide area out & it needs to come apart every 1000rds max for serious cleaning.
    If you have the funds, separate presses are great for diff reasons. I have a SS, 550B & now a 650. I use the SS quite a bit, small batch loading, rifle hunting & target ammo, case forming, bullet sizing, very useful. The 550B is for all the other handgun roudns I shoot enough to have a conversion for. The 650, for now, just 45acp, but if I get back to CAS, 45colt too.:supergrin:

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    The 550 powder measure is much nicer then the Pro Auto Disc. Mostly due to it's real adjustability vs the disc setup. Neither is bad but the Dillon is nicer.

After all this dicussion of the gunk on the 550 I decided to try and see how long it goes with out cleaning. It wasn't a real test as I started the test not knowing when I had cleaned it last. But, I was not filthy but not clean. I then loaded 2K rounds over a couple weeks. It still is working but it was getting sluggish every once in a while so I cleaned it. I do wipe it with out disassembling it regularly. That helps a lot.

Real question is "why do you want a second press?"

16. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    That's why I made this thread, I really dunno, just seems like all the cool people have multiple presses lol.

<shrug> I feel like I'm a moderately experienced loader now, maybe it's time to move up from a turret to a progressive?

17. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    C4W has two presses... he's not cool. (So much for your theory.)

Jack

18. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    For me I would only buy another press if mine didn't meet my needs. My LCT meets my needs fine. I don't own a Dillon press but did load on a friends Dillon 550. After Having to set it up for what I was loading and get the powder measure adjusted I wouldn't worry about the powder measure going out of adjustment. It seemed solid to me.

19. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    No, not depriming first. I really don't think I'm doing anything "different".... I was totally unaware that it seemed to be a universal problem until recently. I mean, I heard it needed to be occasionally cleaned, but to me, every 800 rounds sounds *often*.

I might blow (with my breath) under there every great once in awhile when I see some crud, but I'm talking 1000-rounds-or-more great once in awhile.

Maybe mine is just newer, and you guys have forgotten that when you got yours it was smooth sailing for awhile and just got worse over time? Remember, I've only had mine running for just over a year (approx. 20,000 rounds).

Maybe you should see about replacing that bearing or something?

20. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    THey have "new" primer bars & I have repalced mine. It does seem to run smoother, but I am still brushing or blowing air to clean out the crud. Old habit I guess, but it's been like that since I got it, although I do remember it running for a couple 1000 between cleanings.:dunno: