Why Bug Out?

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by Revvv, Feb 10, 2013.

1. When anyone speaks of being prepared they normally speak of bugging out. I'm not 100% sure why anyone would want to do this in every situation. Granted, I live in the middle of nowhere and leaving my home would not produce may benefits that I can see.

Why wouldn't you simply prep your home for whatever situation that you are anticipating and then protect it?

I am likely being naive. I look forward to the answers.

Personally, from my home I can hunt everything from deer and hogs, to squirrels, dove, and quail. I am walking distance to fishing. Farming is an easy thing in the country.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    TBumps likes this.
  2. JC Refuge

JC Refuge GT Sponsor
    Staff Member

You are right on target. Bugging out for most folks should be done only as a last resort. Of course much depends on the crisis scenario and your environment.

Hurricane, forest fire, toxic environmental industrial accident, flooding ... there are certainly events when bugging out is the wise course of action. But most serious preppers prep their home environment as their Plan A. Obviously, you can store many more preps, secure and fortify your home, and become a part of a supportive community in your home neighborhood.

On the other hand, bugging out with little more than what's in a bag or in a vehicle for an uncertain and dangerous journey at a time when chaos may be the rule ... well, that's certainly not what most folks would choose to do with their loved ones if they have any choice at all.

Glock Commander and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  3. My thoughts exactly. There is no way I would want to relocate my guns, ammo, food, water, etc. if there is chaos all around. My neighbors, family, and friends are better off serving together to rid the area of any issues.

As for a hurricaine; I am originally from Hilton Head Island. I am not worried aboud a storm. Hunker down and rebuild.
  4. Revvv,
    My "bug out" plans have always been in a state of change in terms of "what to bring or not to bring", however about two years ago I have decided to stay put unless my home is threatened by natural disaster. Otherwise, I have everything I will ever need at my home.
    david lee likes this.
  5. I've come to the same conclusion. I about drove myself crazy trying to figure out how to get everything I need moved to where I want to be. As you said, unless threatened by a natural disaster, I think I'll stay put. I've set up a safe room, at least as safe as can be, in my own home. It's just me and my dog. I do have some family close by, and we do have some plans to get together, if possible.
    LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Preposition your stuff.'08.
  7. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot
    Millennium Member

I'm not concerned about bugging out from home,since I work away from home I try to be prepared to bug out from work to get back home.
  8. Bugging out is just taking a chance on encountering trouble on the way. I have thought about it and I will stay home and take my stand here. I have many supplies stocked up and I would never be able to take them with me.
  9. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

Some of my family had to bug out when Mt St Helens blew. They bugged right to my place.
    Unless something like that happens around here, I plan on bugging in.
  10. It depends on your situation as to weather or not you may need to bug out, MOSTLY depends on your location, the people around you, how close you are to a major population center etc.. If you live in the middle of Montana have good neighbors and plenty of ammo bugging out would be highly unlikely. If you live in Chicago grab your bag and go asap as things will only get worse the longer you wait! Also if you do live in an area you are likely to want to leave in a hurry you would obviously not want all your survival supplies left behind so plan accordingly and have options if roads, transportation, or gas are a problem!
  11. Bugging out was the only option for the residents of Chernobyl. And bugging out FAST.
  12. A "normal" evacuation for a natural disaster, to me, does not fit the same definition people mean when they say "bug out." To me, "bugging out" implies 1) a high degree of uncertainty as to what you'll face along your route, and 2) that an above average amount of preparation, equipment, skill, planning, and fortitude would be expected for one to safely reach one's destination.

Say a hurricane or wild fire is coming. Having to pack up the family car and drive to your uncle's house in the next state on short notice, while following normal roads and occasionally stopping when the kids really have to pee, however annoying it might be, is not "bugging out." Perhaps, as an example, if you had to pee in bottles because you were afraid to stop for safety's sake, I might call that a borderline "bug out" situation. By that point you are probably pretty uncertain what you'll face along the route, and are indeed at least mentally drawing on your own preparations, equipment, skills, planning, and fortitude even if for nothing more than your own comfort.

All that said, if I get to a situation where I need to "bug out," it probably means my house is unlivable, and I am probably still going to just move in with the neighbors until things settle down. I can't carry all the food, ammo, or even basic living supplies like toilet paper and soap that I have stocked in my house. But, I can certainly walk it down the street if I have to. Plus, we can pool our skills and resources into more security and better shelter than I could ever find trying to hike through the woods.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Who said "bug out in every situation"? I doubt you are going to run off in the woods with a pack because a big storm or earthquake or something hits. On the other hand, if the threat is people, your home may be something you can defend, or something you can't, depending on how organized the people are. Zombie Apocalypse or general break down of society - stay home. Communist government starts a purge? Bug out.
  14. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Knowing when to go is the key.'08.
  15. When somebody lobs a Molotov through a window. Your fire extinguisher can't cut it and 911/fire trucks are busy. Good time to have another location.
  16. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Then it's to late,leave a week before it gets to the riot stage.If nothing happens go home,if something does it won't matter anyway.'08.
  17. A week early? Aside from maybe hurricanes, how many bug-out level situations have ever shown real signs of danger a full week prior? How many people do you think can afford to just ditch their jobs and take their kids out of school a week before every remotely-dangerous tipping point is reached?

I can only imagine taking a week of short-notice leave and snatching the the kids out of school, telling folks "well, they are going to vote next week on that [insert politically-charged bill] so I want to get out of town in case that goes bad" or "I heard they are going to test out that new cure for cancer next week--I'm going to go stay in the cabin in case it creates a bunch of zombies." Don't get me wrong, I day dream about surviving the ubiquitous "Zombie Apocalypse" as much as the next guy, but I don't expect to have any more reasonable warning than anyone else, and 99.9% of any attempts to get out of dodge even a day ahead of when things go bad are going to end up with you wasting a bunch of money and losing a lot of credibility.

Hell, even if you don't communicate any of these concerns at all, and just play it all up as a surprise vacation to grandma's house in the boonies, that option is still a luxury few can reasonably afford.

My main point is it is pretty far-fetched to believe that any early warning you may receive will both arrive significantly sooner than to everyone else, as well as be credible enough to warrant a full-on "get you and your family out of dodge" reaction. Not to mention, if the reason for getting out of town has to do with social unrest, then every day that you are gone is another day your house might get looted. I would hate to be the first one to bounce out of the neighborhood, only to come back a week later to find my house was the only one to have been razed.
    Armchair likes this.
  18. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

I am certainly no expert but I simply do not understand all the misgivings over the [concept] of bugging out. Nobody wants to abandon a ship while its sailing on the high sea but I think most people can conceive of a circumstance where you would. Everyone said that the Titanic could not sink and we all know the ending to that story. When it is time to abandon your current situation, its usually a good idea to have an adequate plan already in place. A bug out plan is simply a lifeboat and I would much rather have a lifeboat than not.
  19. The misgivings come from the apparent--and in this case admittedly simplified--perception that, to continue with your analogy, one should jump ship every time a storm approaches or a fire starts in the galley. Conversely, while I would of course maintain a functional and stocked life-raft, I'd still plan to stay on that thing until it sinks out from under me.
  20. I go sailing frequently. You never abandon ship until the life raft is above you. People always abandon a good boat for whatever. That is how you got "ghost ships" all over the globe.