close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why are republicans the morality police.

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by frank4570, Apr 30, 2012.

1. frank4570

frank4570
    Expand Collapse

I was just wondering why republicans are are typically so very involved with religious issues, where democrats are not.
    Controlling morality is kind of anti-freedom.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. LawScholar

LawScholar
    Expand Collapse

Wuh-oh.

I don't disagree exactly, but...wuh-oh.

This will not end well.

#2 LawScholar, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
    *John Adams

4. frank4570

frank4570
    Expand Collapse

Seriously? I didn't know that.

5. AlexHassin

AlexHassin
    Expand Collapse

i have no clue. granted some very prominent "Moral Guardians” have beenchough engaging in the very activities they denounce. I wonder if it is part ofsome internal curiosity, or revulsion at self that comes into play at times.

Granted I don’t see a lot of “moral Guardians” as being that moral.

6. W420Hunter

W420Hunter
    Expand Collapse

Ummm your a bit off there. The left is always getting into religious issues, they just tend to be suppressing them. Like telling kids they can't have prayer groups in school, or trying to claim "in god we trust" is a state sponsored religion.

7. Blast

Blast
    Expand Collapse
    'nuff said

Because maybe democrats are immoral heathens?

So rape and pillage and doing all sorts of immoral acts should be a Constitutional right? Freedom of expression and such, right?

8. 9jeeps

9jeeps
    Expand Collapse

We've descended from a Judeo/Christian Moral ethic into a Situational amoral Ethic.

It will be interesting how that works over the next 200 years.

Thus far It's not been working all that well. Even for the Judeo/Christians!

9. frank4570

frank4570
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking more about liquor sales on sunday, and hunting on sunday. Also the laws that make some sex acts illegal even between a married man and woman.

10. AlexHassin

AlexHassin
    Expand Collapse

becuse stoping you from doing what i dont want you to do makes me moral. or maybe makes me feel powerfull. idk :steamed:

11. Ewalk

Ewalk
    Expand Collapse

Because Republican Superman are our superiors!

12. Ewalk

Ewalk
    Expand Collapse

LoL, J/K, no politicians are anybody's superior, they are all scum bags

13. chickenwing

chickenwing
    Expand Collapse

The GOP has to pander to the religious right to secure its base, who are not really for any type of limited government.

I mean, god forbid any godless heathens have more fun then backwards zealots like Blast, who throw fallacies out about godless heathens raping and pillaging because they don't get their morals from a book or government. Raping and pillaging is so akin to voluntary interactions between adults anyway, what a great example. :upeyes:

Short answer - religion.

Basically dudes who "talked" to god wrote some stuff down in a few different books many years ago, and people are still arguing over who's god is right, who worships the true god, butt sex, scissoring, etc...

While government debt grows, enslaving future generations to obligations and services people enjoy now. People are concerned with two dudes getting married, and "deviant" behavior by adults and what they put in their bodies besides alcohol.

Who cares about kicking the can to future generations to pay for when two guys can marry. Priorities.

#13 chickenwing, Apr 30, 2012
  14. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

Just by contrast, because democrats are filthy degenerate hippies and hippies suck. Anyone else looks upstanding by comparison.

Except no one is for controlling morality, just encouraging people to adhere to it.

Because the opposite is criminal lawlessness, not "freedom". :upeyes:

15. stevelyn

stevelyn
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

It started back in the late 70s and early 80s when the "Jerry Falwell Virus" aka Moral Majority infected the party and has gone downhill from there.

16. Blast

Blast
    Expand Collapse
    'nuff said

Ronulan ale with a dash of liberal koolaid talking.:rofl:

The Founding Fathers would agree with us "backwards zealots".:supergrin:

17. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Why do you think that, when the Democrats are even more concerned with restricting individual freedoms and enforcing their own form of morality? They just distract you by pointing out the Republicans trying to enforce more traditional morals. You don't pay attention when they tell you how welfare and universal healthcare and freeing criminals from prison, and having open borders, etc., etc., are the "right" thing to do?

Also, if you think religion = morality, you need to spend some time educating yourself. There are many moral systems other than religion. If you look at the 2 parties, they both push their own moral agenda, but the Dems base less of it on religious rule morality.

I always say, "I vote Republican because the Democrats hate freedom just a little bit more."

#17 Bren, Apr 30, 2012
  18. Chronos

Chronos
    Expand Collapse

Statism seeks to dominate and displace all competing ethical standards, including:

1) Rational standards of ethics (which enshrine liberty).

2) Arbitrary but non-statist standards of ethics (which enshrine the content of iron-age holy books).

A given person might be skeptical of the state and end up in the Republican party for one or some combination of both reasons. You don't necessarily need a freedom agenda to oppose statism.

It's not just in America, either. There were a bunch of different ways to be "counter revolutionary" in the workers' paradise.

19. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

And what makes you think those laws were passed by Republicans? You may know absolutely nothing about U.S. history, if you think that. Those law predate the Republicans being the "conservative" party and go back to when the Democrats were still supporitng slavery and everybody in the KKK still voted Democrat.

#19 Bren, Apr 30, 2012
  20. series1811

series1811
    Expand Collapse
    Enforcerator.
    CLM

Well, the new thing is to say that our founding fathers really weren't that smart and that any of our outstanding leaders of today could have written a better document.

Yeah. Right.